Profile for R. Downing > Reviews

Content by R. Downing

R. Downing "Rich" (England)

Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the money, but ...., 9 July 2012
First of all, the tablet I received was faulty and has had to be returned. I found that after I had been using it for a few hours, apps would keep hanging and asking me to close or wait. This happened with apps I installed as well as apps that were pre-installed. For me, this made the tablet useless. Factory resetting didn't help either, so I assume mine was a faulty tablet as nobody else appears to have had a problem. All that aside, I would say that it was reasonable value for money. The screen is not high quality, Ok for watching movies, but not good enough for reading ebooks or viewing high quality images, etc. Build quality appears good, and the sound was also better than expected.

Overall, I would have been happy with my purchase had it not been faulty. Unfortunately it takes up to 5 weeks and £22 to return to lol-buy in China, though he does promise to refund the postage.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2012 4:41 PM BST

Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner with 5 Year Warranty
Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner with 5 Year Warranty
Offered by Smart Electricals Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Twice the price, half the cleaner!, 31 Dec 2010
I decided to invest in a Dyson after short-lived cheaper vacuums. My thinking was that I would be getting a high quality product. I was mistaken. Firstly, I was disappointed with the cheap, plastic pipe and accessories - they are very flimsy and I know won't last long. Secondly, the removable wand is attached by a spring loaded extendible tube that keeps fighting with you every time you want to use it.
Finally, after only a day or so of use, my Dyson started spewing out dirt when I picked it up off the floor while switched on. This wasn't just a bit of dirt, but loads of it, and it went all over the room! So annoying. After an hour or so of inspection, I found that the problem was that a tube had become detached underneath. This meant that the dirt was being sucked up off the floor, but rather than go into the dirt collector, it was just mulling around at the bottom of the cleaner. So, when I picked up the Dyson while it was on, the head flipped forward, released the dirt, and it got blown all over the room! Even after reattaching this tube, it came loose again just a short while after.
In summary, poor design, cheap materials and low quality manufacturing on what is a very expensive product compared to other vacuums on the market. I will now see what their customer services is like. My advice to you is steer clear of Dyson, or at least try a different model and test it before you buy.
UPDATE- DC33 returned to be returned full refund; SC8442 Big Neo ordered 2 days ago from Amazon on SuperSaver delivery and arrived today. With proper metal tubes and sturdy construction, the Samsung is Twice the cleaner and less than half the price!

Psychology for Teachers (Psychology for Professional Groups)
Psychology for Teachers (Psychology for Professional Groups)
by David Fontana

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, 24 July 2009
I have read only the first few chapters so far, but it is easy to read and insightful.

Becoming a Teacher: Issues in Secondary Teaching (3rd Edition)
Becoming a Teacher: Issues in Secondary Teaching (3rd Edition)
by Justin Dillon

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, 6 Sep 2008
I've just started a PGCE course and got this book our of the library. Its not on the reading list, but i think it should be. I've only got about half way through it, which has taken about a week, but it has already given me a tremendous insight into the environment I will be entering. The book is very open about some of the key issues, and tells it like it is, rather than what some would like it be. A must read for anybody entering the profession, I feel.

The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma
The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma
by Marc Kirschner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 22 Dec 2006
I liked what this book was trying to say, but perhaps not the way the authors tried to say it. The book is about the origin of variation. Darwin's natural selection tells us the fate of variation, but nothing about its origin. The theory presented in this book tries to fill the gap and tell us why offspring tend to vary from parents in viable ways which appear non-random.

I read a bit on evolution and exploit evolutionary principles to evolve solutions to problems using evolutionary computation (EC) for my PhD research. The theory sounds very plausible to me, though I am a computer scientist and not an evolutionary biolgist.

My main concern with this book was its language and readability. Given that the book was partly aimed at subduing creationists and intelligent design, the use of the word "design" to describe emergent entities are totally inappropriate, yet the authors use it as such. The also seems to ramble a lot, and if I didnt know anything about evolution I know I would have got quite frustrated with it and not understood the point. Parts of the book read very well, however, and I think a bit more care in explaining the concepts would have made the book a real joy. The authors should perhaps take a look at Ernst Mayr's "What evolution is" for pointers and good writing.

If you are interested in evolution and evolvability, however, this book is a must because it fills a gap in evolutionary thinking that has been missing since the birth of Darwinian evolution.

Logitech Z-2300 Multimedia Speaker System - 200 Watt (Total) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Toooooo powerful!, 28 Nov 2006
I can hear these speakers throughout the house even with the doors closed and at a quarter power. The sound is very bassy, even with the sub turned right down. The sound quality is pretty good, as is the build. However, these are too powerfull for the run-of-the mill PC speakers, and I would go for something else if that is all they will be used for.

Rastaman Vibration - Deluxe Edition
Rastaman Vibration - Deluxe Edition
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not the best of Marley, 25 Aug 2004
This is a nice Marley album, but not the best. I bought it primarily because I wanted the Roots, Rock, Reggae track which I heard when I was in Jamaica a few years ago. There are are 3 or 4 memorable tracks here; Roots, Rock, Reggae; Vibration; Baldhead. The others are more mediocre, and all seem a little shallow and under-inspired compared to the Legend tracks, in my opinion. On the whole though, a reasonably good ablum, but if u want the best of Marley then go for Legend.

Legend
Legend

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Marley, 25 Aug 2004
This review is from: Legend (Audio CD)
This is the best of Marley. I've had a copy of Legend in various guises for over 20 yrs, and it still fills my heart with joy.
If ur new to Marley, then this is the album to get first. If ur not, then ur missing the best in Legend. Every track on this album stands up by itself, and that is not something u can say about all Bob's albums, or any other artist's albums in general. Buy it now!

The Selfish Gene
The Selfish Gene
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good book!!, 4 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Selfish Gene (Paperback)
I can't imagine that there is anyone that wouldn't enjoy this book. Evolutionary theory is a fascinating subject and Dawkins does an excellent job of explaining it. I'm a computer science post grad and bought the book because I need to know some evolutionary theory for my course, but I think anyone could understand what Dawkins is saying. Not only does he explain things in simple terms, but his style is extremely engaging and enthralling - you won;t be able to put it down!!