Profile for shipyardbernie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
66 UK Number One Hits of the 5
66 UK Number One Hits of the 5

1.0 out of 5 stars Hallmark! I Should Have Known Better., 16 May 2014
I bought this collection in spite of it being on the Hallmark label because I needed a few tracks that I didn't have on other CDs. What a mistake that was, most of the tracks if not all, seem to have been recorded from vinyl. You can hear the hiss before the music starts just like you can if you were playing a vinyl record when the stylus first touches the record. With all the modern audio equipment there is available now this is just a lazy transfer job. I gave it one star just because it was cheap but you get what you pay for.

The Platinum Collection (3CD)
The Platinum Collection (3CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's weight in any kind of metal., 27 Feb 2014
As a teenager in the '60s my favourite music was and is from that period. I 'liked' some songs by Sinatra, Bennett, Cole and others but I never bought any. The first Sinatra music that I bought was the double CD "My Way: The Very Best Of Frank Sinatra" which was released in 2000. I bought it because I much preferred his voice in the '60s & '70s to the former incarnation.

I decided it was about time that I listened to his '50s output but which CD to buy? He has recorded some songs more than once and I wanted the original '50s versions. Luckily out of all the possibility's I bought "Frank Sinatra: The Platinum Collection" and was not disappointed. There are 48 tracks from 1953 to 1961, spread over 3 CDs and are in Mono & Stereo. They were mastered at Capitol studios in Hollywood and released in 2004. The sound is fantastic, even on the Mono recordings. There are factual and anecdotal liner notes and a full track listing with recording dates.

The only niggle (yes there has to be one) is that the tracks are not in chronological order but as I bought the CD from zoverstocks for £2.28 and I like at least two thirds of the tracks who am I to argue the point. I have got myself a great little bargain.

Dance To The Bop
Dance To The Bop
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Vincent Eugene Craddock - Greatest Hits (and lots more), 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dance To The Bop (Audio CD)
This collection of Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps songs contains the meagre 4 chart hits they had at home in the USA between 1956 and 1957 and 7 of the 8 hits they had in the UK between 1956 and 1961. All except one of the 30 tracks (Wild Cat), are in mono. The CD is on the EMI/Capitol record label so I assume that they have been mastered from the original tapes. The CD was released in 2004. I actually bought the CD to get one track (My Heart) which was not on the two Gene Vincent CDs that I already have. If like me you are after one or two tracks that you haven't got or If you have not heard or know little about Gene Vincent's music then at this price this CD is a great buy.

Greatest Hits

5.0 out of 5 stars From the '50s to the '70s - Rick(y) Nelson - Greatest Hits, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
If you are a Ricky Nelson fan from way back or new to his music there are just too many CDs out there to choose from. You would have to buy a couple of CDs or a box set to get an overall picture. This collection however is one of the best, it is on the Capitol record label so I assume it was mastered from the original tapes. It covers a lot of his hits from his first US chart entry "I'm Walkin" (a cover of the Fats Domino song) to his 1972 Billboard Top 10 hit "Garden Party". The songs are in chronological order and there are 11 from the '50s, 8 from the '60s and 1 from the '70s. His records were enhanced by the guitar playing of James Burton and the voices of Elvis Presley's backing group The Jordanaires. The sound quality is great and in Mono and Stereo as you can hear from the samples available on this site. It is a great pity that all CDs do not have either a track listing or sampling on Amazon so that you can see and hear exactly what you are paying for.

One Jump Ahead 2013/2014: The Top National Hunt Horses to Follow
One Jump Ahead 2013/2014: The Top National Hunt Horses to Follow
by Mark Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars One Jump Ahead? You certainly will be with this racing book., 8 Dec 2013
I have bought this National Hunt racing book every year for many years and the quality of the information is never less that top quality. I used to buy the Flat racing version too which is also top quality but as I no longer enter a certain racing competition I only buy the National Hunt version. There are different sections in the book, there is a small list of trainers and information on some of their horses, there is a section with 40 recommended horses to follow through the season, there are sections on Irish horses and newly purchased horses to look out for and a section on different horses recommended for various distances and big races throughout the season including the Grand National. If you are not an expert using race timings and/or weights carried and complicated calculations to find winners then this book is the only one you will need and at a great Amazon price.

Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits or Best Recordings?, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I won't bang on about which is the best Del Shannon album or the fact that he was my favourite singer pre-Beatles. There are many Del Shannon albums out there to suit most needs and I have a lot of them already including all the tracks on this album. I bought it after reading somewhere that these Rhino Records digital transfers were taken directly from the original master tapes. I don't know that for a fact but as someone who has listened to Del Shannon records from the early '60s they sound great to me even though they were made in 1990. All his UK chart hits are here except for "Mary Jane" plus some others and they are all in Mono as the singles that were released in the '60s are. Even though I prefer Stereo to Mono some of his records were never recorded in Stereo so hopefully I now have the best of them. These days you have a hard time telling what source the music actually comes from, in some cases the tracks are lifted from vinyl recordings. As I said before if what I read is true that these recordings were taken from the original master tapes then I am quite satisfied with them.

The Best Of The Hollies
The Best Of The Hollies

1.0 out of 5 stars Not If You Expect Stereo, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Best Of The Hollies (Audio CD)
I needed a good Hollies compilation CD so I selected this 2012 compilation. Assuming it would be in stereo with the latest mastering techniques I went ahead. What a disappointment, a lot of the tracks are in mono. I know there are people out there who prefer the original mono that the '60s singles were released in but I am not one of them. It is a great sound but if you want stereo this is not for you. I wish sellers would state mono/stereo and give any other relevant information. Being able to listen to samples of every album would be a great help too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 5:34 AM BST

You Got What It Takes
You Got What It Takes

1.0 out of 5 stars Only If You Like Re-recordings, 29 Sep 2011
This is a re-recording, if you want the original you know what to do keep looking. If you don't care buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive? I suppose so., 30 Jun 2011
If you call 18 tracks and just over 50 minutes of music definitive then that's OK, it's my only quibble with this CD. It contains all 12 of The Supremes US No.1 Hits, they are the original recordings and are all in Stereo. So for the money it is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive? maybe., 30 Jun 2011
It all depends what you mean by definitive. All The Four Tops major hits are there and the CD is a good price. At just over 50 minutes, the CD could have had more tracks but that is just me trying to squeeze every last minute of music out for the money. All 18 tracks are the original recordings in Stereo and sound great so you could do a lot worse than buy this CD.

Page: 1 | 2