ARRAY(0xbb7d01bc)

Profile for Mark Liversedge > Reviews

Content by Mark Liversedge

Mark Liversedge "markliversedge" (Cranleigh, Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2
AOC I2757FH 27 inch Widescreen IPS LED Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, VGA, HDMI, Full HD 1080p, Screen+, i-Menu)
Price: 179.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Image, Great Aesthetic, 10 Dec 2013
Blown away by this monitor. I've got it at 1920x1080 to a KMV switch between a Linux and Win8 PC.

The matt display is beautiful, and the brushed aluminium finish looks great when its not switched on. When it is switched on the narrow borders and styling makes it look like it costs twice the price.

Sharp image quality which is very stable and quite comfortable for long durations (I work with it all day). Watching video and gaming its very fast and has rich blacks (ok, not as good as say a plasma tv, but good for a desktop monitor).

I really cannot recommend this enough. delighted with it. For once you get more than you pay for!

Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy USB Adapter - For Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Vista - Compatible with Bluetooth stereo headphones and other Bluetooth peripherals
Offered by BlueRigger LLC
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Mac, PC and Linux, 14 Dec 2012
I wanted to pair with BLE devices and was recommended the IOGear GBU521. I could only find it from US sellers at stupid prices. But the chip inside is a broacom 20702, which is also used in the Kinivo.

Plugged it in to Ubuntu 12.10, Mac Moutain Lion and Windows 8 and it just worked. I fact it worked so well, I thought it wasn't working at all at first -- assumed Mac was using the onboard chip. I only saw it spring into life when I started searching for devices.

The blue LED is no more intrusive than a keyboard backlight.

Excellent value and great support for all modern OSes.

DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge (Take It With You)
DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge (Take It With You)
by Maureen Johnson
Edition: CD-ROM
Price: 40.34

3.0 out of 5 stars Hefty but not comprehensive, 28 Jun 2009
I must admit that I have only read through the material once since it arrived only a day or so ago. It is delivered as one 400 page pdf from which you can cut and paste and search for terms using the appopriate reader. I assume it will also work well on kindle or that ilk. Bravo to the authors for distributing it this way, it makes it a valuable resource for practitioners.

On the positive side, given the elapsed time from inception to publication as you would expect the overall framework is solid. The scope is broad covering governance through architecture. modelling, BI etc etc. And a lot of effort has been made to ensure each section breaks down to the same level of detail and uses a consistent structure.

The material that is presented is valid and of great value, but the material that is not presented or covered (that you would expect even at overview level) is a bit of a disappointment. For example, the Master and Reference Data section (which feels very light indeed) does not cover fundamentals such as mastering strategies, consolidation and harmonisation nor the thorny issues of local attributes. Instead, it has a paragraph or so on replication. Similarly, data migration (a pretty broad topic) gets a paragraph. The data governance section is better but lacked substance, it talks about needing to adopt a different approach for different organisations but doesn't give any clues about what those differences might be. Indeed, this failing is prevalent throughout the material.

Given the document was written by experts in each discipline I would have expected more insight borne of practice. Sadly this was lacking. The description is quite clear that this is an overview resource -- and that is what you get.

So in terms of value for money it is a bit overpriced. But it will go into my back pocket as a handy resource and in consulting terms, it is a steal.

A Tale of Two Cities: Audio CD (Classic Fiction)
A Tale of Two Cities: Audio CD (Classic Fiction)
by Charles Dickens
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't read the book!, 28 Jun 2009
First off, I have never read the book. I bought the Audio CD to listen to in the car in the vein hope that it would get me past the sheer volume of material in the book. (I always gave up after the first few chapters).

Well the Audio CD made no difference, I gave up after about an hour. I suspect its my problem with the source material because the reading is engaging and relatively swiftly moving.

But if you're looking for the equaivalent of a radio 4 dramatisation then this is not it.

Data Strategy
Data Strategy
by Sid Adelman
Price: 31.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled, 28 Sep 2007
This review is from: Data Strategy (Paperback)
Reads like outputs from a bunch of hurried brainstorm sessions. The data quality and data integration pieces are incomplete and demostrate a lack of practising experience - data integration is limited to consolidation and federation aparently. Quality misses most of the stuff Wang was doing 10 years ago and muddles modelling concepts in for good measure.

If you are looking for assistance in developing an enterprise data management strategy then at best this book may provoke some thinking but it lacks rigour and richness to provide a coherent answer. Disappointed - there is better stuff free on dmreview.

Troy [HD DVD]
Troy [HD DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood Homer, 2 Mar 2007
This review is from: Troy [HD DVD] (HD DVD)
The film is good blockbusting fun. The battle scenes have the intimacy you get from The Iliad. Sadly the plot is vaguely related to the original but then who cares? Its not billed as 'The Iliad' is it? Those pesky Gods don't do much meddlin' in the film and the whole thing plays out more like a drama than a Peter Jackson lovingly realised delivery of the original. More Mission Impossible than Passage to India. Just watch it and enjoy, let the literary rivet-counters boo from their lecture theatres and eat some popcorn.

Looks sumptuous in HDDVD.

The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories
The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories
by Christopher Booker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Seminal Masterpiece, 24 Nov 2004
I have literally just finished reading this book, having slaved with great enjoyment over each page for the last 7 days.
I won't attempt to sum up such a magnum opus but instead, here are some of my personal observations of the book - what made it special for me;
1. It is an easy read -- always interesting and well constructed, refreshing and thought provoking.
2. It is standalone -- by which I mean you are not expected to be familiar with the great works of literature or jungian psychology; in some ways this book is the ultimate "bluffers guide" to all of literature -- each work is surmised and explained in enough detail to justify an argument or assertion.
3. It is visionary -- this book paints the biggest of the big pictures; what emerges spans all of the arts and humanities bringing a truly visionary perspective that is at time challenging and always thought provoking; what stories reveal about who we are? why are we like we are?
4. It is inspirational -- how many readers will close the book desperate to unleash that "novel within them" given the secrets to developing plots that "hit the mark" (smile).
After reading it I can fully understand why it has taken 35 years to produce, having spent 7 days reading it I feel I have cheated the author. I'm sure I'll be back to it again as some of the subtleties reveal themselves, and to challenge the arguments themselves with the armoury he provides.
On the negative side, I found it meandered a little here and there and felt a little repetetive at times, but this is to be expected when you write, on average one chapter a year!!!! Some of the typos are surprising and it must contain some of the longest footnotes in all of publishing!
Best non-fiction book I have ever read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2014 8:08 AM GMT

Influence: Science and Practice (International Edition)
Influence: Science and Practice (International Edition)
by Robert B. Cialdini

4.0 out of 5 stars Shrewd investment., 9 Mar 2004
This book is frightening. The behaviours and responses we all share and how they can be manipulated or controlled are explained and then explored in an anecdotal style which is mostly engaging (although I did tire of it sometimes).
At times the subtle differences and nuances washed over me and the sections became "boring"... this book needs to be read more than once and certainly within different contexts or perhaps months or even years apart.
Great for budding Machiavelli's and sales or marketing types and handy for the rest of us -- it offers some defense mechanisms we can all employ...
Of course, by publicly endorsing this product in this review I have become more committed to it's success. Looks like I've broken one of the rules already!
I have witheld a star because it does "go on a bit" sometimes.

Lucas Classic Line: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (PC)
Lucas Classic Line: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Multiplayer favourite!, 24 Feb 2004
As another reviewer states, download the patches for XP from the lucasarts website "support.lucasarts.com/trg/xp/xptitle.htm" and this thing really flies.
Given that it was written for Windows95 era hardware it's no surprise to see this thing really shifts on the latest adapters and is breathtaking, wire the sound up to your 5.1 and it feels even better than the arcade version, especially since ...
The multiplayer mode over IPX allows head-to-head racing on multiple computers over a network, more than just the two you get in the arcades. The multiplayer setup is a breeze if a little quirky.
Makes those other karting games look boring by comparison....
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED EVEN IN 2004....

Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond (SEI Series in Software Engineering)
by Paul Clements

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 17 Dec 2003
Don't get me wrong the book is good, the discussion of numerous views, styles is great and it provokes a lot of structured thinking, it's a book I would recommend.
BUT, it could have been so much better... (hence only 4 stars)
1. Needs more example models & diagrams, a picture is worth 1000 words.
2. It should be about modelling not documenting, but hey that IS the title of the book!
3. The final section that discusses the views proposed by RUP, siemens, ODP etc are clearly an afterthought as they don't really tell you much and are so 'standalone'.
4. Amazingly there is no discussion of frameworks.
5. The MDA paradigm isn't even touched upon - a major ommission IMHO.
Ultimately though it's the best book I've read on the subject, just left me with half the answer...

Page: 1 | 2