Profile for ChrisGti106 > Reviews

Content by ChrisGti106

ChrisGti106

Inside Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008: T-SQL Querying (Developer)
Inside Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008: T-SQL Querying (Developer)
by Itzik Ben-Gan

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tech book I've read, 7 Nov. 2011
NB I am primarly reviewing the earlier version Inside Microsoft® SQL ServerTM 2005: T-SQL Querying (Solid Quality Learning) and have only read parts of the newer book to cover various updates. But it is the best tech book I have read, even just a few pages of chapter one showed how much I didn't know. EG that the select statement didn't read (or was processed top to bottom) It starts with the 'from' statement goes down to the 'having' then up to the top for 'Select' and 'Distinct' then back to the bottom to 'Order by' then back to the top for the keyword 'Top'. This is pretty obvious once you know but why is it not in other books or in the course I went on! Anyway superbly written. Don't be put off by the physical query execution and the (query tuning/indexes) sections. I still haven't read most of those two chapters and still rate this as the best tech book I've ever read.
Worth the money. As another reviewer said, I'd buy another when this one falls apart.

Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005 Reporting Services Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
by Stacia Misner

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy the right version! Gets you started and gives you SSRS confidence, 7 Nov. 2011
Assuming you are just getting started and follow the examples I found this great (although you might want a more detailed book afterwards try Teo Lachev or Brian Larson links below). I had gone on a QAIQ Microsoft two day SSRS course many months before reading this (and hadn't used any of the knowledge gained) and found that there was SO much I didn't know. The book got me started and in combination with learning SSIS got me a huge raise in pay! You must make sure you buy the right version as there are huge differences between 2005 and 2008 where they have combined the three main tool box data regions of Table Matrix and List to a Tablix. If you are getting started and follow as many examples as you can (I currently couldn't manage one chapter on programming) then it is easily worth the money.

Applied Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services: Essential Skills for Database Professionals

Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 3
Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 3
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Nov. 2011
Live Lounge is great. Definitely worth the money (especially with the Amazon price and free delivery).
Volume 3 is one of the better ones, the combination of more acoustic tracks and covers is superb (I own the first 5 and will be buying the 6th). It also gives you the chance to hear lots of artists and see which you might want to hear more of.Added in that it is a double CD and its a no brainer.

Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 5
Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 5
Offered by FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars Live Lounge is great but a slower burner than volumes 1 and 2, 7 Nov. 2011
Live Lounge is great. Definitely worth the money (especially with the low Amazon price and free delivery).
I should mention that its a slower burner than volumes 1 and 2, and because of the vastly different styles there are bound to be some tracks you like less than others. Starry eyed is great as its more acoustic than the original, also wonderful life by kylie, n-dubz doing different material and Kelly Rowland underdog are all fantastic. Added in that it is a double CD and its a no brainer.