Profile for John M. Adams > Reviews

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Portugal
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Portugal
by Martin Symington

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 23 April 2014
We're taking our camper van down to Portugal next month and had no clue where to go or what to see until I spotted this book on Amazon. What a great find! Good pictures and descriptions with plenty of background information.

Prompt delivery from the supplier.

Everyday: Turkish
Everyday: Turkish

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Good price. Delivered promptly., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Everyday: Turkish (Hardcover)
I saw this on the kitchen shelf in a friend's house and loved the simple recipes. I ordered it using my tablet and it was waiting on the doormat when I got home two days later.

Cast Iron Tagine in Black Size: 22 cm H x 30 cm W x 30 cm D
Cast Iron Tagine in Black Size: 22 cm H x 30 cm W x 30 cm D
Offered by Wayfair

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely job, 16 Aug. 2013
I had already got a ceramic tagine but it was showing signs of cracking. As I was really enjoying using it I thought I'd get a cast iron one and this does the very well for the price.

The only slight reservation I have is that it is coated and the instructions say not to heat it dry. As I was going to use it in my camper van to make bread rolls this is a problem and I might have to limit myself to flat breads on my skillet. However, as tagine it performs as expected, both at home and in the camper. Given that it's half the price of the Le Creuset I was also considering, this seems to be a good buy.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens

5.0 out of 5 stars A stimulating read., 23 Jun. 2013
I read Dawkins' 'The God Delusion' first. This matches it for philosophy but pulls the punches a little less. By the end it had certainly put my own attitude to faith and theism into better order than it was when I started. Recommended.

Andrew James Crepe Maker Accessories Includes Batter Spreader, Wooden Spatula, Oil Brush and Ladle
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job.... nearly, 23 Jun. 2013
This kit is fine and works well apart from the brush which didn't survive the hot skillet for very long. The bristles burned away - just like all the pastry brushes I've been regularly using. No problem - I just replaced it with a silicon brush and we're back in business.

The spreader takes a bit of practice to use effectively - but at least you get to eat the mistakes.

Lakeland Traditional Moroccan Tagine 1.2L
Lakeland Traditional Moroccan Tagine 1.2L
Offered by Lakeland

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit., 23 Jun. 2013
I bought this after reading lots of reviews about tagines and being warned off a few that hadn't lasted on the stove top. Since I got it I've made dozens of meals and had some great results. I use it with a heat diffuser on the stove and it's cooked chicken, beef and lamb into brilliant meals especially when combined with the proper Morrocan spices including Ras El Hanout and preserved lemons.

After a month of almost constant use, the glaze on the bottom of the inside is showing some signs of crazing - hence 4 stars instead of 5 - but I don't think this is going to cause a problem with the operation of the tagine. Also the top is a bit smooth and shiny so you have to be careful when checking the contents, especially using a tea towel to lift the hot top off - it could slip. A more textured finish might make it safer but I just bought a silicon mitt and that seems to do the job. So far, so good.

Lakeland delivered it promptly and it was well packaged. I can fully recommend it.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book., 27 April 2013
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I've no need to re-review this work. A simple search of YouTube and a listen to Dawkins in action will convince you that this man has a hugely sensible view of the universe. If you're not convinced, you're beyond help anyway.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 6:11 PM GMT