Profile for carole@blakefriedmann.co.uk > Reviews

Kydd (Kydd 1)
Kydd (Kydd 1)
by Julian Stockwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally unputdownable!, 16 Jun 2001
This review is from: Kydd (Kydd 1) (Hardcover)
I had never read maritime action adventure fiction, but when Julian Stockwin's manuscript arrived in my office I sampled the first few pages and was immediately gripped by the power of the storytelling. The characterisation is superb, with Kydd and Renzi in particular, really capturing the imagination. As a literary agent with a fairly full list, I wasn't looking to take on more historical fiction, but when I found I had read the first few chapters while still sitting at my desk with the morning mail, I knew I had to ask for the rest. The full manuscript lived up to the promise of the early chapters, and I sold it quickly in the UK, with several major publishers bidding for the rights. An American auction followed swiftly upon the UK sale. Hodder commissioned the best artist imaginable for the cover, and we were all delighted when they had to double their print run a few weeks before first publication. I feel sure that the Kydd series is here to stay and I'm proud to be part of it. German rights have already been sold and there will be more language sales to come. I've seen the outline plans for the first eleven books so I know I can look forward to a lot of reading pleasure in the future! Carole Blake

Whispers in the Sand
Whispers in the Sand
by Barbara Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping mystery and sensual love story, 16 Sep 2000
This review is from: Whispers in the Sand (Hardcover)
Lady of Hay, Barbara's first novel, was a ground-breaking bestseller in many languages worldwide: it invented the 'time-slip' genre, while at the same time transcending what was expected of genre novels. Whispers though is her best book to date. I have to declare several special interests: not only am I her literary agent (going back to Lady of Hay I'm proud to say) but it was a holiday that Barbara and I took together that provided the inspiration for this stunning book.
We'd worked together happily for many years, and were discussing holidays. We both had a long-term fascination with ancient Egypt, but neither of us had ever visited the country. We planned the trip, found a beautiful, tiny, period paddle steamer (originally built for the King of Egypt!) but were each a little nervous of a shared cabin and our first holiday together. Would I lose a treasured client, would she lose her agent, if the holiday didn't work out well? After years of dreaming, would we be disappointed in Egypt as it is today?
We needn't have worried. Egypt itself exceeded our expectations in every way: the boat was heavenly, the other passengers more interesting than we had hoped, and we enjoyed our time together so much that we are planning another trip.
The cruise produced an additional bonus: Whispers in the Sand is my favourite souvenir of a memorable trip. Not many people can say they've holidayed with a friend who has then written a bestselling novel for them!
I'm obviously not the only one to appreciate it either: Only a few days after publication Whispers has started to appear at no. 8 in the hardback fiction bestseller lists. Quite right and proper. Carole Blake, Blake Friedmann Literary Agency