Profile for Meerkat Kombat > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Real Techniques Expert Face Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, 14 April 2015
I got this as a spare foundation brush and for days when my buffing brush was dirty. Surprisingly, I've come to prefer this over the buffing brush. It doesn't leave streaks and helps me apply my foundations with relative ease and speed. I still use the same buffing motion but find it easier to blend foundation into the smaller parts of my face like around the nose.

Ovonni® 29pcs Professional High Quality Goat Hair Makeup Brush Set + Leather Case, Black
Offered by Oxford Street

4.0 out of 5 stars Case: Five Stars. Brushes: Three Stars, 14 April 2015
I wanted a cheap brush set and has drooled over the Sigma extravaganza set but I wasn't about to drop several hundreds of pounds.

I did wash all the brushes after they arrived and like others, I was attracted by the blending brushes included and the case.
The case is gorgeous, heavy wearing and will protect your brushes. The nice thing is you can always store your preferred brushes in it (if you have any others) and use it for travel. To be honest, I would have paid £20 at least for the case alone so for an extra tenner I got 29 brushes.

Some brushes are better, some are misses. I find two of the blending brushes to be scratchy and stiff. I hope with a few more washes and conditions they might soften up.
The powder brushes honestly don't seem to pick up that much product, which is nice if you don't want to over do it but can make them seem a bit useless. Thankfully, I already have a powder brush I swear by. I also couldn't get on with the bigger stippling brush for foundation but I do like the smaller one for cream blush.
I use two of the concealer brushes as eye shadow brushes and they perform relatively well performing both tasks.

These won't replace my real techniques brushes any time soon but they are decent enough if you want spares or want a starter set you can replace with better brushes later. I would also say consider it if you need or want a decent case that can hold lots of brushes. It looks very sleek and professional and you don't have to worry about them getting contaminated with dust by sitting in pots or falling out of brush rolls.

Like others have warned - the black brushes do bleed when washed. I've only given mine one deep clean so far so I don't know if they will continue to bleed. Apparently sigma brushes also bleed and they are much more expensive than these.
They shed, some more than others but nearly all of them shed like crazy when I first washed them. They are still shedding even after washing with some better than others. Some shedding is to be expected with new brushes and I do hope that they stop eventually.
Finally - brush guards will be your friends. When I first washed them, the blending brushes and some of the powder brushes frayed. The white goat hair brushes were the worst for this to the point I thought they were ruined. I had to leave them to totally dry and then makeshift some guards with clingfilm just so the bristles would hold their shape in the case until my brush guards arrived. That seemed to do the trick and hopefully the guards will stop it completely. Think about investing in cheap brush guards.

I would say the brushes are average at best, however they are only just over a pound a brush and I do honesty think the case is at least worth most of the money and can be reused. I know some brushes will never be used. I don't need two big powder brushes but would have appreciated a flat top kabuki brush for foundation.
I do honesty like the set despite my misgivings. It looks and feels expensive and I may grow into brushes. At the end of the day, it's always nice to have spares to delay wash day.

Headlines
Headlines
Offered by Giant Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars worth getting if you don't own Wordshaker, 8 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Headlines (Audio CD)
Headlines isn't a full Saturdays album and anyone that missed Wordshaker will not notice three of the songs are originally from their (now discontinued) second album.
If you own Wordshaker then download the extra songs.

Although the new songs are good (Higher is brilliant) I'm sure fans would have appreciated it more if the Saturdays had waited a year and put the new songs on their next album. £6 for the album when most Saturdays fan already own some of the songs is expensive.
This has now been re-released with three more songs from the previous album.

I'll only briefly review the new songs. Missing you shouldn't have been the first single when Higher is so much better. It is also disappointing that 'Died in Your Eyes' is a cover and is a little boring. Karma is a good dance tune and packs a punch and I really like Puppet (even if it sounds like it could be a Sugababes cast-off.) Missing you is the weakest single they've done in my opinion.

All in all it's a strong album but four new songs is lazy. I like the Saturdays and really liked their first two albums so it was natural for me to get this (when it went down in price and before it was discontinued with the re-release)
Saturdays fans should definitely get this, even if you only invest in the new songs.

A Year Without Rain
A Year Without Rain

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent follow up, 5 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Year Without Rain (Audio CD)
I brought this because I really liked her debut album Kiss & Tell. However, the sophomore album sees a change in direction. The rock beats which were scattered throughout the first album are gone.

The two singles 'Round and Round' and 'A Year Without Rain' get the album off to a good start. Round and Round is catchy and A Year without Rain is a good ballad that doesn't bore.
Naturally was a single from 'Kiss and Tell' and a real pointless track to include here. Let's face it...anyone that likes Selena Gomez will no doubt have picked up the first album by now.
Rock God written by Katy Perry is the real star of this album. Infectiously catchy and danceable. I liked it immediately.

The rest of the album may need a bit more time but be fair, I've owned it a day. Haven't found anything I hate. My only criticism is Intuition feels like filler and I'm really not sure about Summer's Not Hot. I understand this album is aimed at a younger audience but the lyrics are too immature for me. 9 to 14 years old's will love it.
This album is more techno/pop than her previous album and some songs sounds some-what over produced. Selena's voice sounds pitched in some songs when maybe it wasn't necessary. In some song's it doesn't even sound like her singing.

Die-hard Selena fans will lap it up and adore it because of who it is. I honestly don't think it's an approvement upon Kiss and Tell and there is no growth as an artist. However, she has made it clear music isn't her main passion. 10 new songs is a disappointment and it wouldn't have hurt to add three or four more. For anyone that brought Kiss and Tell on a whim like I did and liked it, this album may not appeal as much.

The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating (Essential series)
The Essential Guide to Cake Decorating (Essential series)
by Murdoch Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Real must-have book for sugarcraft enthusiasts., 28 Sept. 2010
Anyone who is interested in sugarcraft I suggest you buy this book. It leads you through all stages in cake decoration. For beginners it will come in very useful.

This book also covers the basics of cake making and decorating. It includes recipes for different types of sponge cakes and how much you will need for different size tins. Also there is quantities and tips for applying fondant, Buttercream and royal icing.

It leads through steps to making fondant flowers, people and other things. It is full of pictures to guide you and breaks it down into easy manageable steps.
There are also steps to decorating many different types of cakes - at the back are ideas for wedding, children cakes and more. Some are really stunning and the cakes vary in difficulty but you will probably want to attempt most of them.
Look out for the Teddy Bear's Tea Party cake - it is very detailed and quite gorgeous. Just don't attempt it right away!

This is a great book. If you are interested in learning cake decorating then definitely try this book. It easy enough to follow but doesn't patronise you either. It has enough ideas and techniques to keep you occupied a long time.

Here We Go Again
Here We Go Again

5.0 out of 5 stars Another guilty pleasure, 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Here We Go Again (Audio CD)
The one thing you can't deny is that Lovato has a great voice.
Her second album is a well crafted piece of pop heaven, and another guilty pleasure. Her voice far outshines other disney singers such as Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus. Sadly Demi hasn't carved out the singing success of her co-star Cyrus.

However, Here we go again is an impressive, well written album which shows growth from her debut Don't Forget. There are some real standout tracks - Here We Go Again, You Got Nothing On Me, Got Dynamite, Remember December. The star track on this album however has to be Everytime You Lie.
The album has many different styles but they are never competing with each other.

The album includes four bonus tracks - Lala Land and Don't Forget from her debut, Gift of a Friend from the Tinkerbell film and So Far So Great - the sonny with a chance theme. All bonus tracks are a good addition to the album.

A very enjoyable album. Give it a go especially if you enjoyed Selena Gomez Kiss & Tell
Lovato's songs have more substance and emotional depth to them, but the two albums are quite similar in theme and musical style. I like both of Demi's albums but Here We Go Again gets significantly more ipod play. I can't wait for album number three.

Frasier: The Complete Seasons 1-11 [DVD]
Frasier: The Complete Seasons 1-11 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelsey Grammer
Offered by Tooboon

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant from beginning to end, 22 Sept. 2010
I've always loved Frasier and brought this as an easy alternative to picking up the series individually.
It ran for 11 years and still remained hilarious. It was also very lucky not to die after the long running 'will they? won't they?' issue between Niles and Daphne was resolved in series 7. (It's killed many a other series)

This show shouldn't have been successful. The plot doesn't sound funny at all (two psychiatrist brothers) but it is one of the best American sitcoms there ever was. It won tons of grammy awards and quite rightly so.

David Hyde Pierce makes the show. He is a brilliant comedic actor. Even though he has since come out as gay, I can't say there was ever a moment where I did not believe he was madly in love with Daphne.

The show is worth 5 out of 5.

However as many have mentioned, the packaging is badly designed with all the discs being tightly packed together and in cardboard slits. All my discs have some kind of line going across the shiny side. Although it doesn't seem to affect play (watched 6 out of the 11 series so far, no problems) you have to be extremely careful removing and replacing discs. May replace them with 25 x Quad DVD Cases in the near future to protect them further.

The poor construction aside, the different coloured series boxes and how they come together is pretty.

It loses a star because the packaging is sub-standard.
A highly recommended show!

Offered by onepeecd

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the damn right terrible, 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Bionic (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Miss Aguilera since her beginnings and I feel I've grown up with her. I loved her debut and thought Stripped was incredible. Back To Basics was too long but had some fantastic tunes hidden in its super long play length.

So then came Bionic and at first I was horrified. Where had this incredible artist gone? In the place of the mind-blowing ballads and clever catchy songs was a vacant, shallow mess.

Not myself tonight led me into a false sense of security. I found the rest of the album sounded nothing like it. However I persisted, thinking something must eventually grab me.

Took me 5 listens to get into it. In a similar set up to Back To Basics, this album is too long (20 tracks and 3 interludes!!!) and suffers a severe identity crisis. There are too many styles competing for attention. All the ballads are crammed in the middle instead of being spread out.

There are some songs I love, the two singles, Not Myself Tonight and You Lost Me. The latter being a stunning ballad. The second disc adds some fantastic songs which should have replaced some of the junk on the first disc - Monday Morning, Birds of Prey and Stronger Than Ever. I Am and I Am (stripped) is an example of Aguilera at her best.

There are some songs I cannot stand - Bobblehead on disc 2 being so dreadful I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of it along with Vanity, and Sex for Breakfast.

I hated woohoo at first, the lyrics are awful, but I can listen to it. Bionic, Elastic Love, Desnudate, Prima Donna, All I Need and Lift Me Up are passable songs. Not the best, but definitely not the worst.

The main put off for this album is the ridiculous song titles - I Hate Boys for example. Christina, you are a fully grown woman and mother, not a 14 year old girl. I Hate Boys has a quite a good hook when you get into it but it's another one to ignore the lyrics.

If I were to cut it into a more chewable piece my play-list would look like this:

Not Myself Tonight
Prima Donna
Birds Of Prey
Stronger Than Ever
I Am

11 tracks, 45 minutes running time, and much easier on the ears and concentration span.

This album is hit and miss. I agree with other reviewers, the only way to decide if its your thing is to listen yourself. You will probably find a few songs to your liking but it doesn't take away from the fact this is Aguilera's weakest album to date.

Kaleidoscope Heart
Kaleidoscope Heart
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow up to the great 'Little Voice', 22 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Kaleidoscope Heart (Audio CD)
I loved Little Voice and was eagerly awaiting this. On release date couldn't find this in any uk store. I couldn't wait so ordered this from Amazon and I adore it as much as Little Voice.
Bareilles has an amazing voice and is a fantastic songwriter. I'm a fan of Lady Gaga but I'd pick Bareilles any day of the week. Her music is grown up and quite frankly gorgeous. The songs on 'Kaleidoscope Heart' flow gently from one to another and sound like they belong together.
On my first few listens these are my stand out tracks...

Uncharted
Gonna Get Over You
King Of Anything
Say You're Sorry
Machine Gun
Not Alone
Breathe Again

The only one I haven't really taken too is The Light. It may grow on me but it may this album's 'Vegas' which was the only song I disliked on Little Voice.

Along with Ingrid Michaelson she is one of my favourite artists and it's a huge shame this album has been largely ignored in the UK after her previous success.
It's great to have a female artist that doesn't have to rely on her body or sing about how sexy she is. Her voice and music prove she is worthy of her recording contract.

Also on a different but important note: the import version packaging is environmentally friendly, no plastic. :)

Kiss & Tell
Kiss & Tell

4.0 out of 5 stars There are worse ways to pass 45 minutes, 31 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Kiss & Tell (Audio CD)
I had briefly heard naturally and saw this for £3. For £3 if I didn't like it, it wasn't the end of the world.

Actually I liked it. As embarrassing as it is to admit I am 21, this album is a serious guilty pleasure. Whereas some albums can be a struggle to listen too all the way through, this wasn't. It grew on me quickly and I like every song to near enough the same extent.

The only one I might skip occasionally is 'As a Blonde.'

The running time is just long enough and it doesn't bore me half way through. The songs are catchy and the album doesn't take itself too seriously. Ok, so not the best or most artistically progressive album in the world by any means but I've brought many a worse album for alot more money.

This album doesn't claim to be anything it's not. It isn't going to change the face of music. If you are expecting a serious album, then look elsewhere. You won't be getting an album of the Beatles standard, but you will get an album of half-decent pop songs.

Give it a go. I'm not a Wizards of Waverley place fan but I didn't let her Disney stardom turn me off. I'm glad it didn't. Whilst some people would be embarrassed to have this in their CD collection, I'm not. Already pre-ordered album number 2 and I'm looking forward to it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3