Profile for Johnw > Reviews

Johnw

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria
The King in the North: The Life and Times of Oswald of Northumbria

4.0 out of 5 stars I am finding this book quite difficult to read, ..., 11 Sep 2014
I am finding this book quite difficult to read, a little dry and some of the names are awkward to remember, and fit in the run of things, carry on, persevere, and I'm sure it will get easier.

Rotary GB02874/05
Rotary GB02874/05
Offered by ESR CHESTER

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent buy replacing my older watch bought for my 60th ..., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Rotary GB02874/05 (Watch)
Arrived two days earlier than promised, excellent buy replacing my older watch bought for my 60th birthday, my 69 birthday present from my wife, very smart watch, very good price.

Boys in the Boat
Boys in the Boat

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book telling the true story of how an American ..., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Boys in the Boat (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book telling the true story of how an American college rowing team one in the 1936 Olympics in Germany
Against Hitlers teams. It tells the story of how teams members progresses from raw university students to a world beating team, a lot of the USA rowing team were from Washington state uni, in Seattle. Some of the fighting their way members were from very poor and hard backgrounds, I found it very emotive and stirring, it shows what young people can do when they are downtrodden, fighting their way up the ladder to achieve greatness.
Very good book recommended on the BBC radio "Simon Mayo, drive home" programme.

Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II (General Military)
Between Giants: The Battle for the Baltics in World War II (General Military)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Aug 2014
A history of how the nazis occupied and fought in the Baltic areas,

Gather Together in my Name
Gather Together in my Name

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Aug 2014
Good read.

This Boy
This Boy
by Alan Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and very interesting book, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: This Boy (Paperback)
Excellent and very interesting book, I thought it might be slightly political but it was a history of his early life.
I was brought up 3miles from him, but 5 years earlier, but a lot of what he experienced I also experienced.
A simple story of hardship and perceivence, one could see how his early life led eventually to his political career.
Looking forward to his next book.

Collins Elite Pocket Telephone and Address Book - Black
Collins Elite Pocket Telephone and Address Book - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and a very handy size, 11 Aug 2014
Just what my wife wanted to keep addresses& numbers in.
Good value and a very handy size.

Singin' and Swingin' and Getting' Merry Like Christmas
Singin' and Swingin' and Getting' Merry Like Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars where she is making good progress. I feel that her story although interesting ..., 21 July 2014
This is the third part of her autobiography, she has been amongst other things a stripper, chef etc and she has joined an opera company, Porgy and Bess, where she is making good progress.
I feel that her story although interesting is little too long, I shall not be continuing with her series of books.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

5.0 out of 5 stars Life, 7 Jun 2014
Very good, life in the southern early forties, must read the rest of her autobiographies. Never read her poetry.
JW

Regatta Action II Men's Leisurewear Trouser - Green, Size 36 Inch Small
Regatta Action II Men's Leisurewear Trouser - Green, Size 36 Inch Small
Offered by Portstewart Clothing Company

4.0 out of 5 stars Too long, 7 Jun 2014
These trousers although comfortable were just an inch too long in the leg for the shorter person.
Many pockets, I have to carry far too many things in them to use all the pockets, and there are hidden ones as well,the adverts don't tell you you've got a puzzle while you are walking.
JW