Profile for Shaman > Reviews

A Pagan Place
A Pagan Place
by Edna O'Brien

4.0 out of 5 stars Thou shalt not, 27 May 2013
This review is from: A Pagan Place (Paperback)
The second person voice emerges as the dominant narratorial voice throughout the novel; a concept that provides a focused understanding of how patriarchal voices have dominated other independent voices such as those of women.

A very clear and enjoyable read.

Decolonizing Anarchism: An Antiauthoritarian History of India's Liberation Struggle (Anarchist Interventions)
by Maia Ramnath

4.0 out of 5 stars Pivotal and seminal, 27 May 2013
Despite author's brilliance in defining the very meaning of anarchism in a post-colonial context, the book at times falls short of engaging with the concept of decolonizing anarchic praxis in other nations in Asia, let alone European countries. The book, however, is a must read for people who need to have a better understanding of the ways in which anarchic currents would lead to a clearer sense of national independence.

The Unconscious (Penguin Modern Classics Translated Texts)
The Unconscious (Penguin Modern Classics Translated Texts)
by Sigmund Freud

5.0 out of 5 stars Pivotal and seminal, 27 May 2013
The book is not for EVERYONE! or at least for those who take psychoanalysis as just a book on dreams and how mind produces dreams!
If you're an undergraduate / postgraduate studying English Lit, Psychology, philosophy then this book will serve your purpose of critiquing texts and their labyrinthine hidden meanings.

If you've read Freud's other works, then this makes them stand out even brighter.
If you need to know, for instance, how reality is perceived by our sensorium, or might be curious to find out how literary works reflect and appropriate the very fundamental definition of reality, then there's a whole, unadulterated paragraph on this.

Giottos MTL9251B Tripod and MH5011 Head kit
Giottos MTL9251B Tripod and MH5011 Head kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality - sturdy and reliable, 19 May 2013
I bought this tripod to go with my D300s which sported a heavy 70-200 f2.8 Tamron lens. I thought that I should have gone with something more heavy-weight, but this perfectly did the job alright. The only nag with this is that it's too good to throw away and buy a new one! Truly recommended.

The Best of Myles: A Selection from 'Cruiskeen Lawn'
The Best of Myles: A Selection from 'Cruiskeen Lawn'
by Flann O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars A cunning and delightful read, 17 Jan. 2013
This book from Flann O'Brien aka Brian O'Nolan aka Myles na gCopaleen aka Brother Barnabas aka George Knowall will give you delightful times. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think about it, 17 Jan. 2013
I think the order was a hoax; a subtle embezzlement! Item neven did arrive; the CS wasn't responsive at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost bang for the buck - Nice quality, 17 Jan. 2013
The quality of this black T was acceptable; it felt almost premium. Unlike their long sleeve baseball T, this one fits right. Recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat: Poor quality and short sleeves, 17 Jan. 2013
The "Long sleeve Baseball" T came in with short sleeves and a despicable quality. According to Amazon sizing chart, L should have fitted me alright; now the sleeves on this T is ridiculously short, even though the chest seems fine. Quality wise, I believe I'm going to lose this T the first time I wash it. It already looks it's shrunk! Not recommended at all.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Super-Advanced High Zoom Camera (18.2MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A true bang for the buck, 5 Jan. 2013
I bought this a month ago when I sold my DSLR kit - had to do it to pay my tuition fees!
I've been a Nikon for 8 years, playing with D40, D80, D90, and for the past three years D300s, and shifting between a plethora of lenses, wide, tele, super tele and of course a Sigma Macro. It'd be funny and ludicrous to say that this acceptably priced P&S camera came up as a nice replacement to my £3K photography kit. However, it turned out a cute contender, fighting for its place.
STILLS
Yes, photos show the notorious water effect, especially on the edges; and yes, sometimes photos come up a bit too processed - especially if you opt for the Super auto pilot thingy with the '+' sign. However, the camera shoots ridiculously fine pictures in almost every lighting condition. Low light photography? No problem - I mean if you compare it with other P&S cameras. If you're into low light, high exposure photography, like me, then the manual mode is an amen to your prayers. The longest exposure (30s) on the market.
VIDEO
If you want to shoot videos to keep or to put up on Youtube, then this is definitely your camera. Panasonic TZ30? Nope, I recommend this one, since HX20V comes up on top hands down. TZ30 is nice, but HX20V is another story altogether. (drop me a Q on this, and I'll explain it in detail)
Here's my test video on Youtube, you be the judge - and remember Youtube's hilarious algorithms to scale down large videos:youtube [dot] com / watch?v=SYa-pB9JAWE
All in all, I after I bought this little fellow and played with it for a full month, shooting videos and a couple of hundred stills, I feel a bit less depressed after selling my 'precisous' DSLR kit.
Do ask me questions on this camera either on my Tube channel or here, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2013 12:40 PM BST

Waterproof Anti-Shock Double Protection Hard Case for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 TZ60 TZ57 TZ55 TZ40 TZ35 TZ30,Canon SX610 SX600 SX280 S120, Nikon L29 L30 L31 S9700,Sony HX50 HX60 Camera (Black).
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars 50-50, 2 Jan. 2013
I bought this for my Sony HX20V, and it appears to be the right fit for it. The only niggle is the zipper. The first time I tried to zip the case up, zipper acted up. The second try though undid the mess and finished the zipping pretty ok. 4 stars as it is neither a shabby, cheap case; nor is it a superb 5-star water-proof case. It does the job ok.

Page: 1 | 2