Profile for J. Wilson > Reviews

Content by J. Wilson

J. Wilson "TehJam3Z" (UK)

Soul Eater Headband
Soul Eater Headband

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish (putting it mildly), 22 July 2011
This review is from: Soul Eater Headband (Toy)
What can I say? I don't bother doing reviews often but this product requires a warning.

The product is of the most awful quality imaginable! Quite frankly the worst product I have ever bought on the Amazon market place. Straight out of the envelope the head band patches are falling off because they have been glued on rather than sown. Tried it on and off they pop! Never have I received anything from Amazon that was total rubbish straight out of the box. Perhaps I should have known better when buying this sort of merchandise but the lack of quality involved here is simply astonishing. Do yourself a favour, resist the alure of madness, go back to the search bar at the top of this page and look elsewhere for a headband. Wish I had!

Overall: 1 star is far too high a rating for this product.

Sundome Volume 1: v. 1
Sundome Volume 1: v. 1
by Kazuto Okada

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what it seems - much better in fact!, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Sundome Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
Just like a couple of the other reviewers, I must admit that my reasons for purchasing Sundome were, shall we say, slightly below the belt :)

Yet, it worked out really well because this manga was completely not what I was expecting - rather than being a quick bit of fluff destined to be hidden under my bed it turned out to be a really thought-provoking tale of erotic love and loss <--- proudly displayed on my shelves.

The series plays out like a lot of other boy-meets-girl manga and for the most part it is simply a romantic comedy. Now the kicker is that the comedy is rather risque as are most of the "romantic" moments so if you are buying Sundome to feel naughty then you won't be dissappointed. As funny as Excel Saga but with 260% more perversion!

Still, what made all the difference for me was that the strong content never felt gratuitous. It actually aided the story and there is a deeply beautiful tale of melancholy and happiness underneath all of it which really grabs you. The ending is powerful but not dramatic and really hits home the point: to be in love is to be affraid.

So yeah, I wish all my urges to dabble in this sort of thing resulted in such success!

The series is 8 volumes all of which are now available in the UK.

(PS - after reading some of the other reviews I expected this series to actually contain some sort of 'horror' element. This is entirely not the case - seems more similar to Love Hina to me!)

Yotsuba&!: Vol 1
Yotsuba&!: Vol 1
by Kiyohiko Azuma

5.0 out of 5 stars How can it be this awesome?!, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Yotsuba&!: Vol 1 (Paperback)
Simply put, if you are thinking of buying this manga then scroll upwards and add this product (along with subsequent volumes) to your basket now :)

Volumes 1 - 9 have now been released in the UK (via America) and, although waiting periods between volumes can be long, Yotsuba&! is an amazing series that should be in every manga-fan's collection. To be honest, if you have any love for stories-that-are-worth-telling then you should give this a try too.

Somehow, without the inclusion of ninjas, soulreapers, robot-girls or even pirates, Yotsuba&! paints a story so captivating and superbly entertaining that it effortlessly sits atop my manga collection as the best I have so far experienced.

Sit down, and make yourself smile. What more could you want?

Enjoy Everything!

Durarara!! Vol 1 [DVD]
Durarara!! Vol 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shinya Kawatsura

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware:, 29 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Durarara!! Vol 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Check the above reviews for comments on how good this anime is. It really is an exceptional anime.

Why 1 star? Just to reflect my annoyance at having bought something that I will have to buy again some time later in 2011 with both Japanese AND English dubs!

My purpose here is just to highlight to potential buyers that this UK released anime DOES NOT include an English Language dub.

It only has Japanese audio with a choice of English, German, or Without subtitles.

I bought this based on others' awesome reviews and how much I loved Baccano (the English dub is fantastic) and it never occured to me to check the languages <---- fool!

Perhaps I should have done more research before jumping at the chance to buy this first volume in the series... Guess I'll be waiting for the Americans to get their hands on it and release it 'again' in the UK.

So, there you have it. If it matters to you - take note!

(PS - Don't forget! If you are a 'proper' anime fan make sure to mark my review as 'unhelpful' simply because, yes, I was deliberately trying to tell you you that this is a 'bad' anime - I was NOT trying to provide useful information for people potentially confused by amazon's product information :P What? You're kidding me right? People actually watch anime with english dubs!?)
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 11:48 PM BST

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally Available in the UK on DS, 7 April 2009
This review is from: Disgaea (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Disgaea (Nintendo DS)

Disgaea is an absolutely fantastic series as well as a knock-out rpg turn-based game. If you are new to Disgaea (like I was) but are interested in taking the plunge then this is definitely the place to start.

Improved features:

The DS version of this game (which is effectively Disgaea 1) includes a brand new alternative storyline alongside the original! Though I would recommend playing the original story first :)

The top screen on the DS has an overhead map/grid which really is essential for Disgaea gameplay since one of the game's only minor faults is its camera angle obscurity.

Lots of alternative endings!!!

The only aspect of this game that I can't comment on is the multiplayer since I've never had anyone to play against! Chances are, like other rpgs, this is not the game's strong point.

All in all, this is the best Disgaea experience ever. It goes alongside The World Ends With You, Pokemon Diamond and Advanced Wars in my DS collection.

The game's characters, story and gameplay are all top notch and the series' sense of humour is really something special. I'd easily recommend this over the recent PS3 release of Disgaea 3 - a handheld game on a powerful console seems totally out of place...

Play this and be converted Dood! Curse you Flonne ! ! !
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2009 5:46 AM BST

Luxury Black Leather Premium Flip Case for Apple iPhone 3G 3GS
Luxury Black Leather Premium Flip Case for Apple iPhone 3G 3GS

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a mighty fine iPhone 3G case!, 29 Aug. 2008
I'll just lay out the pros and cons: (not many cons)

PROS -

I did not want to pay the ludicris prices on the apple website for a case that really was not up to scratch...but this iPhone case is well priced (in comparison to apple) for what you get.

It IS an iPhone 3G case (some cases cheat and are really for the older model iPhone.

What you see is what you get! The case is nice leather that seems to hold my iPhone 3G securely without restricting its major functions - you can use headphones, charge it, see full screen, use volume controls, etc. It even has the little window for the 'face sensor' in the top left which some cases leave out.

I also like how the corners of my iPhone are not too exposed (it's all very snug) and how it comes with an optional/attachable belt clip. The case does add bulk to the iPhone 3g (at least doubling its 'depth') - this is not an issue for me as I can easily take out my sexy iPhone to show my friends then case-it-up for transport.

It's a flip case! All the apple cases did not have a cover to go over the screen - if you're like me, and you want to dump your phone in a bag with other items like coins / keys, then having a sturdy cover over the screen is a real PRO.

Dispatch and delivery of item was super fast / next day! (Although, I am on a trial of amazon prime whilst writing this.)

CONS -

The latch / popper for closing the case is magnetic rather than a button. It's not a very powerful magnet (I hope) so I'm not worried about electronic issues (several layers of leather are between phone and magnet) but I would have prefered a popper. Still, anything is better than velcro, and it holds closed really well with the magnet.

Not too sure how useful 'credit card holders' in a phone case are - but they do not detract from the case's appeal - maybe I can put bits of deathnote in there, or top up cards?

Conclusion -

It's good! Cannot give it 5 stars simply because it's not quite my dream iPhone 3g case (but what is?) Avoid the apple site and its multitude of confusing cases and get a proper phone case.

Hmmm...item says 'out of stock' at the moment (maybe I got the last one?) but if it comes back in stock - then I'd recommend it! I'll post again after 1 month to let people know how the case fairs over time.

If my email is displayed, then by all means contact me if you have any questions about this case.