Profile for Lindsay Carpenter > Reviews

Content by Lindsay Carpenter

Lindsay Carpenter "Cook book junkie" (Sydney, Australia)

Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
by Kimberley Boyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes for the slightly whole food minded baker., 12 Aug. 2013
This is a great book.
I'm somewhat puzzled by other reviews here though. Firstly, the author doesn't claim that this is a British baking book. It's quite clearly American, with lots of delicious bakes, some of which are new to me and definitely not the run of the mill recipes that one finds in most baking volumes. It also doesn't claim to be a health food book - it's a baking book, for goodness sake! While it aims to make baked goods more whole food focused and slightly healthier, the author is a pastry chef who does value taste and a light texture, which you just wouldn't get with 100 percent whole grain flour recipes.
I have made any things in here, especially the pancake and waffle recipes, being a somewhat breakfast obsessed person. The pear and buckwheat pancakes are an absolute highlight, as well as the oatmeal pancakes and carrot and cornflour waffles.
The only warning that i would give is that you have to have access to a good health food shop to buy the flours.
I also second the person who recommended Dan Lepard for other whole grain recipes - the man's a god!

The Kitchen Diaries II
The Kitchen Diaries II
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 5 star offering from Nigel Slater., 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Kitchen Diaries II (Hardcover)
I couldn't contain my excitement when I got home this evening to find Nigel's latest book on my doorstep!
I look forward to opening a new book from Nigel Slater like a child looking forward to opening their presents on Christmas Day. I have a complete collection of Nigel Slater books, use them regularly, and yet again, this book does not disappoint. It is beautiful to look at and handle, has the most evocative and sensual photography, and is full of words of wisdom in Nigel's comforting yet infectious style.
It should keep me busy curled up on the sofa for several days, and busy in the kitchen for years to come...
Thanks again Nigel!

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

1.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmm. Don't waste your time., 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
Oh dear. I am flabbergasted to see the gushing praise for this extremely mediocre piece of twaddle.
Superficial, overly sentimental, and predictable.
Do yourself a favour and spend your time reading something more worthwhile. I'd love to have the 3 hours of my life back that I spent reading this rubbish, but alas, not to be...

Bourke Street Bakery
Bourke Street Bakery
by Paul Allam

5.0 out of 5 stars Bourke St Bakery, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Bourke Street Bakery (Hardcover)
I have to confess at the start, I'm a Bourke St Bakery fan and love all the delicious fare from this Sydney bakery and it's sister bakery, the Central Baking Depot. I'm a regular at the CBD for brekkie every Thursday (fab croissants!) but don't live particularly close to Surrey Hills, where the BSB is located.Anyhow, my friends and I rushed out to buy this book as soon as it came out, and it was worth the wait!

Before buying this book, I was a home baker who could make reasonable cakes and pastries but always had some difficulty with breads. Now, however, I have a cracking sourdough starter on the go and can whip up an absolutely amazing sourdough loaf which certainly surpasses most of the offerings at my local bakeries. (Alas, I'm not a Surrey Hills local...) The process is long (taking around 12 - 24 hours) but very little actual hands on work is required, and the end product is absolutely fantastic. The pastry and cake recipes are also amazing, particularly the Ginger Brulee Tarts (a personal favourite) and the Pizza.
I have a number of baking books, including Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Bread Bible" and the Baker and Spice "Baking with Passion", and, although they are great books, the Bourke St Bakery surpasses both for the depth of information, the clarity of the recipes, and the layout.

If you love baking and are particularly interested in bread making, do yourself a favour and buy this book now!