Profile for R. L. Haywood > Reviews

R. L. Haywood

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 / Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.3 / Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest classical recording ever?, 20 Aug. 2011
I've heard,and own,more than a few,comes of being 65.But if anyone seriously thinks that any other recording comes anywhere near this one for virtuosity and interpretation then they must have very strange parameters of judgement.
I only own one recording of anything which makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up,and this is it.
What a pity we have so little of her,I'm listening to Axe chewing his way through Brahms 2 on the proms whilst I write this,what would I give for an Argerich version.The difference? Axe is clearly trying,Argerich would'nt need to.
A force of nature,they called her,unrepeatable genius.
Robin Haywood

Enemy Coast Ahead- Uncensored: The Real Guy Gibson (Soft Cover)
Enemy Coast Ahead- Uncensored: The Real Guy Gibson (Soft Cover)
by Guy Gibson

4.0 out of 5 stars I've got the original, 19 Feb. 2010
Its a compelling historical document.
Gibson was indeed supposed to have been arrogant,aloof,but also charismatic.
Not much of which comes across in this biography,where he appears as a civil servnt drafted in to make a bit of a mess of bits of Germany.
Clearly he was not,and as my own father often observed,it was easier to get promoted from behing a desk than from behind a gun.
I suspect G.G was a bit of a perfectionist control freak.
But he was probably also a good technician and,of course,lucky.
He is self-effacing to a fault,but that was the style of the time,and,to a true Englishman,still is.
Robin Haywood