Profile for Pamela Roach > Reviews

Content by Pamela Roach

Pamela Roach (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Walking Disaster (Beautiful 2)
Walking Disaster (Beautiful 2)
by Jamie McGuire

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Travis, Oh My, 6 July 2013
Travis Maddox is the kind of guy to do anything with everything he has. Why have one woman when you can try them all? His world is full of women, gambling and violence. But the side of him that few see is that he is incredibly loyal and protective of those he loves. He values family and never forget the promise he made to his mother on her death bed.

Travis thought he had everything figured out and just the way he liked it. But then Abby came along and brought him to his knees.

Together Abby and Travis burn hotter than an inferno and he makes it his mission to get her to fall for him. And when she does, everyone tells them the odds are not in their favour. How much love is too love? Is it possible to love someone too much? Can love itself be what comes between two people?

We first fell in love with Travis and Abby in Beautiful Disaster. We were allowed a glimpse into this couples' lives and their hearts. This time we get to see how they fell in love from Travis's POV.

Walking Disaster in itself was a good book. Travis has a quality about him that you can't help but fall for and like about him. But...unfortunately it fell a little flat for me.

*ducks as Travis fans throw sharp objects*

On one hand, I loved it, on the other I really didn't. Perhaps the problem was this book was so wildly anticipated and craved for by the masses that it would take a super-duper Iron Man of a book to not make it anti-climatic. There wasn't much to learn by reading Walking Disaster. It pretty much was Beautiful Disaster, just from Travis's POV. And also...it somehow made me really dislike Abby.

The saving grace is the epilogue. I sort of wish the book started from there and then went on. But since it didn't, I can only cross my fingers that Jamie McGuire decides their story isn't finished yet and tells us a little more.

Forget Me Never
Forget Me Never
by Gina Blaxill

3.0 out of 5 stars Raw and moving, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Forget Me Never (Paperback)
Forget Me Never is one of those really unexpected books that comes along and and whips the rug out of from under you. I expected something completely different and was pleasantly surprised with that I got instead.

When Sophie finds out that her cousin, Danielle, has killed herself, Sophie can't believe. No, she really can't believe. Sophie knows her cousin would never do such a thing, and when she finds a memory stick in a pair of her jeans with leading information on it, she knows she can't let it go. Before she knows it, Sophie is on the hunt for Danielle's killer.

Recruiting her friend Reece to help gather information, Sophie inadvertently stumbles upon something much larger than she ever realised...and places herself and Reece right in harms way.

Forget Me Never was raw and powerful with an incredibly strong voice to carry us through the story. One moment my heart was pounding the next my eyes were stinging with tears. This book whizzed past in a blur as I gobbled up the words. Sophie is a very likeable character, and admirable for not giving up on her cousin.

A thrilling read.

The Originals
The Originals
by Cat Patrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly compelling., 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Originals (Paperback)
Lizzie, Ella and Betsey look like triplets. But actually they are clones in hiding. No one can know they exist and to the outside world they are one person. Each girl takes the day in shifts, morning, afternoon, evening. Only one can be out of the house at once and while one girl is in public, they other two are at home, learning what she is by home study.

While not ideal, all the girls go along with it. They understand the risk of exposure and for a while they don't want to rock the boat. Until Lizzie meets Sean. And she wants to tell him her secret.

The Originals was an utterly compelling read. Full of teen drama, conspiracy and sweet romance, it was a one sitting kind of book.

Cat Patrick writes beautiful, lyrical books about extraordinary things that make you believe they are not only possible, but are actually happening. The Originals draws you in and makes you question everything you think you know. You get lost in its world and try (and fail) to guess the outcome.

Another knock out book from a top-notch author. A must read for anyone.

Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel)
Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel)
by Maria V. Snyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 6 July 2013
Scent of Magic has to be, hands down, one of the best sequels I have ever read.

The book picks up right after Touch of Power ends, with Avry and Kerrick about to part ways. Avry desperately wants to reconnect with her sister who swore she would never forgive her. Kerrick needs to join with his army so they can move forward in defeating Tohon and his legion of undead soldiers.

Each chapter is written alternatively in Kerrick and Avry's POV so we don't miss one moment of the action with both of our favourite characters separated. Kerrick always has Avry in his mind, worried she will somehow find herself in the middle of trouble. Again. And, let's face it, if there's one thing our girl is good at, it's getting herself in a pickle.

On her way to find her, Avry stumbles upon Estrid's army. But she realises they are missing something that can help them against Tohon. How to move silently through the forest. And Avry is just the person to teach them.

Whilst separate, Avry and Kerrick are preparing those around them for the horror Tohon can bring. It will take everything they have to defeat him, but the odds are always in Tohon's favour. Especially with those around them set on betrayal. As a Healer, Avry would give her own life to help someone, especially those she holds dear.

And what Tohon wants, almost as much as ruling all the realms, is to have Avry by his side as he does it.

Scent of Magic was a whirlwind of a read. I literally could not make my eyes read fast enough. I devoured each and every word, equal parts of me desperate to finish it so I knew the ending and wanting it to never end.

I love all the characters in this series, even the villains! It was also a special treat to get inside the mind of Kerrick and see his inner workings. All the secondary characters have a special place in my heart. To avoid spoilers I won't mention any names!

We are left with an ending that will have every fan crying out for the third instalment.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer 2)
The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer 2)
by Michelle Hodkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing, 14 Jun 2013
Mara knows she isn't crazy. Unfortunately for her, not everyone agrees. After seeing Jude, who should by all rights be dead, Mara blacks out only to awaken in a mental hospital. Her family wants her to stay for treatment to help her get better. But luckily for Mara, Noah is on her side and believes her.

Noah persuades Mara to play along with her parents and doctors in order for them to think she is getting better. But Mara is terrified she will hurt Noah with her power. And Noah is determined to find Jude have him pay the price for his actions.

I absolutely loved this book. It had suspense, romance, horror, action...it was simply brilliant. And contained perhaps my all time favourite use of bat s*** crazy.

As Jude continues his mental games with Mara, I was so far drawn into the story that I began to question my own sanity. I really bonded with Mara and felt extremely protective of her. And as for Noah, I adored him the more he clearly adored Mara.

All in all, this is a fabulous book and an even more fabulous series. Though, I wanted to throw a temper tantrum when I was left with that ending, and I am counting down the days until the next book.

Top notch, could not have asked for more.

Rage Within (Dark Inside)
Rage Within (Dark Inside)
by Jeyn Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Twisty, 14 Jun 2013
Rage Within was a fast-paced, post-apocalyptic adrenaline read.

It begins immediately following the conclusion of the brilliant Dark Inside and once again we follow the POVs of survivors Aries, Clementine, Michael and Mason. All four are adjusting to their new world where Baggers patrol the streets looking for survivors. Some are taken back to the `safe place' within the locked-down city. Others are killed where they stand.

Their group look to Aries for leadership and she is fast learning that she must make increasingly difficult decisions and not all of them will be good ones. Clementine and Michael look to each other for a slice of happiness in this dark world and Mason wonders about his own darkness.

I thought Rage Within was a very strong sequel that stood up well beside its predecessor. We are reminded occasionally of events passed which was helpful without being one long repeat. Once again I enjoyed getting into the psyche of all four characters, as well as the dark `Nothing'.

For me personally, it was Aries and Mason who stood out the most. I really felt for Aries as she tried to lead the group and wanted to take it all away for her, just for a little while. She struggles with betrayal and suspicion as well as heavy criticism for her actions. And Mason...he really does the best he can with what he has to work with. The strong silent one who carries it all on his shoulders.

This book was over before I knew and it and desperately wanted to know what happened next. I cannot wait for the next installment.

Rush Me
Rush Me

3.0 out of 5 stars decent NA, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Rush Me (Kindle Edition)
When Rachael accidentally gatecrashes the wrong party, she ends up face to face with Ryan Carter. She has no idea who he is, and he is unwilling to believe her stumbling on the party is a harmless accident.

Chance brings them back together and before she knows it, Rachael has befriended half a dozen famous football players. For the most part, Rachael knows and adores them all. Except Ryan, who pushes all of her buttons yet is there whenever she turns around.

Pretty soon Rachael and Ryan realise their bickering is mutual attraction and flirty banter. Both have big, strong personalities that do clash. Jealousy and passion keep things lively with doubt and uncertainty clouding their potential happiness.

Rush Me is both a hit and a miss for me. In a lot of ways I loved it - loved how the football players were like a big, dysfunctional family who are loyal and fierce. I loved Rachael and Ryan's bickering and their gradual attraction. But, there were far too many cliches and fakeness that just made the story fall flat at times.

It's a good, easy read that fills the time but doesn't really satisfy in the way I wish it could.

Tempest 2 (Vortex)
Tempest 2 (Vortex)
by Julie Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome time travel adventure, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Tempest 2 (Vortex) (Hardcover)
Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into being an agent for Tempest. While still struggling with a broken heart, Jackson proves himself to be a brilliant agent. But all the training in the world can't prepare Jackson for when Holly reenters his life. Holly, the girl who altered history to save.

Vortex starts shortly after Tempest ends. With the loss of Holly still very raw for Jackson, he throws himself into his training. Jackson must prove himself not only to his instructors, but to many of his other classmates, a lot of whom have seen him in his pre time travel days living it up as an Upper East Side party boy.

Vortex was a lot more complex than the first book in this series. We have a lot of jumps and more questions than answers. In this book we get more of a scientific explanation of time travel, and why certain EOT's and Jackson have different jumps. For this reason, I found I could only read Vortex when I was feeling sharp. No distractions. You will lose yourself in this book like never before and the world around you will be totally shut out.

The Jackson we see in this book is a lot harder than Tempest Jackson. Because of his training he bulks up and because of Holly, he has extra thick, bomb-proof walls up. I adore Jackson. He's the kind of guy who takes everything on his shoulders and expects so much of himself. The guy who thinks he has to save everyone and figure out everything else.

And, can I just say, I love the girl power in this book! Stewart and Kendrick, two completely different women, two totally kickass agents. Stewart is this bilingual chameleon than can work any situation to her advantage. Kendrick is super smart with a softer side, who is determined to work for Tempest and have her home life too. She grounds Jackson and reminds him the world isn't the hard place he makes for himself.

Vortex is full of action and suspense. It is utterly heartbreaking and tragic. Really, it is everything. It steals you away to another world (or two) and makes you believe it is possible for people to appear right in front of you from the future. And with an ending like that? Safe to say, I need the third instalment like yesterday.

Kite Spirit
Kite Spirit
by Sita Brahmachari

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw, moving, beautiful, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Kite Spirit (Paperback)
The morning of their first day of exams, Kite's world falls apart. Her best friend, Dawn commits suicide. Plagued with questions and a sense of suffocations, Kite's dad takes her out of the city to the Lake District, to give her time and space to grieve.

Kite feels as though Dawn's spirit is around her. She envisions her as an owl, soaring in the sky and leaving her mark on Kite's window. Kite feels so many emotions she can barely process them, and can't even cry. It is when she meets Garth, a local boy who helps her in more ways than she could ever expect.

Kite Spirit was raw and beautiful, a truly haunting yet uplifting story. Kite's grief radiated off the page and swirled in the air around me, much like Dawn's presence did for Kite.

With the rolling hills of the Lake District as the backdrop of this story, it really set the scene for Kite and her bleak mood. But as anyone who knows this area, when the sun breaks through, it is outstanding.

Kite and Dawn's history is cleverly revisited by the author in well timed flashbacks. We get a glimpse of the girl Dawn was, and also of the girl Kite was around her. Though totally different and from totally different methods of upbringing, the girls were inseperable. Kite wanted to swing in the circus, Dawn to play her oboe. Through these flashbacks we also begin to understand why Dawn may have taken her own life.

It was at times hard to read, the story is very raw. But it was a pleasure to watch as Kite overcame her grief, and learned how to say goodbye and let go of Dawn and look into the future of her own life.

The other intriguing part of this book was Kite's dad's back story. As Kite is trying to imagine her future, her dad is trying to discover his past. A very well done secondary plot line.

I am sure first time readers of this author will be racing out to get her other books. K

Delicate
Delicate
by Steph Campbell

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw and powerful, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Delicate (Paperback)
To anyone looking in, Sydney Pierce has it all. Promising gymnastics career, attentive boyfriend, Trevor, great friends and brilliant grades at school. But on the inside, Sydney feels like she can barely keep it all together.

When Sydney meets Grant, the new boy at her school, he makes it clear what his feelings for her are. He sees into the heart of her, past the barriers she builds around herself. Sydney can't deny the attraction she feels for Grant...and unfortunately, neither can Trevor, who shows Sydney a side to him she has never seen before.

Sydney is a character that really takes a hold on you. I felt almost maternal over her, wanted to protect her from the world and tell her to stop trying to be so perfect - she already was pretty great to start with.

Delicate is a a somewhat short book, and yet it feels fuller than a lot I have read recently. What it lacks in length it more than makes up for in content. I adored Sydney's interactions with Grant. He's the guy you want for yourself, your friend, your daughter. A guy who simply wants the best for the girl he loves.

There are very serious issues raised in Delicate. At times it was brilliantly done, but at others it didn't quite feel realistic to me. I know that all stories are different and not all cases are the same, but I think if there had been hints at Trevor's jealousy and temper earlier in their relationship, it would have made it more believable to me.

That being said, it is still a very gripping and emotional book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20