Profile for Blob > Reviews

A Year in the Merde
A Year in the Merde
by Stephen Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Merdiciously entertaining, 6 Nov 2004
This review is from: A Year in the Merde (Paperback)
This book gets away with it because it is fiction. Stephen Clarke does not have to be objective and tactful, he can get stuck into the subject matter and put the funny bits where it suits him. What's more he doesn't preach to us, which allows us to sit back and laugh freely. It is definitely a Parisian book and some of the jokes would need a few years in the country to be appreciated but everything is spot on. So, as a Brit, here for 12 years, I enjoyed the English teacher who spoke Franglais (guilty, myself); Paul, the protagonist not understanding the humour behind "My tea is rich" as a name for the tea shops; the way a meeting could off at a tangent about the quality of a photocopy; and the bosses daughter in the 'Ashlem' (French sheltered housing that Paul feared to be some kind of sect). Great fun.

Eat Your Peas (Daisy Books)
Eat Your Peas (Daisy Books)
by Kes Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot be serious!, 30 July 2004
The first time I read this book I was seriously worried: how the hell the mother was going to get out of THAT! I nervously turned the pages as the stakes got higher and higher so quickly. The ending made me laugh with sheer relief.
Now we read together with gusto!
I DON'T LIKE PEAS!

Deep France: A Writer's Year in the Bearn: A Writer's Year in La France Profonde
by Celia Brayfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's that exactly...?, 30 July 2004
An honest insight into a writer's universe, Celia Brayfield has dissected the Béarn region, taking its food, its history, its regional pride and, of course, the many brocantes and fêtes and wove them back together in an instructive and entertaining way. We can really see, smell and taste through her vivid descriptions (not to mention the recipes!)
As a Brit living in France, I could relate only too well to her language difficulties, and she captures the feelings about the Euro and the Presidential elections very well.
Celia Brayfield has succeeded in putting this little-known region on the map.