Profile for Jeremy Pack > Reviews

Content by Jeremy Pack

Jeremy Pack (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Samsung 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 70MB/s MicroSDXC Pro Memory Card with Komputerbay SD Adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars Just fine, but not 70MB/s write, 16 May 2013
I perfectly happy with this microSD card. It meets the class 10 spec by more than 40%

BUT mine gets nowhere near 70MB/s write "Transfer Speed: Up to 70 MB/s Read and up to 20 MB/s Write"

The utility H2testw 1.4 checks it out as:
Writing speed: 14.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.4 MByte/s

FYI.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, 2 May 2013
The unit I received was faulty out of the box. There have been notes about BlackVue's quality issues else where and maybe I should have paid more attention or I just got unlucky. (It would be nice if Amazon listed how many units got returned faulty, that would be value add.)

It never ran for more than about 30 seconds with out crashing. (It crashed in all sorts of ways, either as a the voice was saying it had started recorded, saying the SD card was unformatted (I tried multiple SD cards), the configuration was invalid etc)

I did offer the supplier "Mobile Gadget Store" to replace the item but they never responded to my amazon communication so I'm returning the unit.

The Manual of Detection
The Manual of Detection

4.0 out of 5 stars A good little read, 8 Feb 2013
I heard the first chapter of this book as a radio play, and bought the book as I was drawn to the way the story was presented. Its well written and different.
Worth a read.

Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice
Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 27 Jan 2013
This is a must read book, whether you are a sports person or not. You may not want to agree with the conclusion but there are plenty of fascinating examples and case studies and until you have read the book your not really informed to debate the conclusion.

Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red
Smartcafe Cafetiere Hot Mug, Red
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 27 Jan 2013
I'm using this at work every day. Works fine.

The one downside you will find is that it takes longer to clean the sink when you empty out the coffee grains from the last drink that it does to put a new spoon of coffee in a fill it.

The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel
The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read but rambling in places, 27 Jan 2013
Others have written long and insightful reviews into The Hydrogen Sonata. Mr Iain M Banks is painting himself into a corner. You could / would not pick up this novel and rate it if you were not already a culture fan.

If you are new to Iain M Banks start with the player of games or use of weapons. (Actually read both because I think together they would be less pages than the The Hydrogen Sonata and you'd get four times more fun out of them)

ForeFront Cases® New iPad 4 Luxury Leather Case / Cover Stand for New Apple iPad 4 / 4th Generation New iPad with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function (PURPLE)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but has flaws, 27 Jan 2013
I brought this iPad cover I wanted to protect the corners of the ipad. (My previous iPad had damage on the corner from where the previous case did not cover the corners).
- And it does protect the corners (and the rest of the ipad well.

The down sides are:
- the way it snaps onto the iPad is great until you want to take it off. (more on this below)
- the cover does not fold flat to the back when you want to lay it flat on some kind of surface or hold it
- the plastic shell is smooth/ slippy, which is unhelpful when you want to prop it on something

I don't know what annoys me more the fact that the lid won't lay flat against the back or that when I try and get the case of the ipad its starting to pull the edge of the ipad away from the screen as it grips on so tightly (and I change cases regularly as I need a squarer gripper case for the gym to stop the ipad sliding off the machine!)

TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep/Wake Feature + Screen Protector - Sky Blue
Offered by TECKNET

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and works, 25 Jan 2012
I have had this case for my ipad for two months now. It just works and is incredible value.

If you need a patterned rhino's leather case to show how much more swanky your iPad is than anybody else's then this is too cheap. If you need something to protect the iPad both sides, have a good chance of protecting it if you drop it, including it landing on its side or corners, want to use it in landscape mode either to type or view, and have some thing that is relatively light, is hard wearing, and does not make it harder to type, this is great value.

That said we purchased a TechNet case of a slight different design that did not sit nicely to type with so look closely.

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth Book 1)
Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, clumsy., 8 Nov 2011
This story in this book is interesting enough, but I won't be reading any more of the series. The vocabulary of the book is limited (to easy words). The author insists on flagging up points or information that he is going to use later by repeating them multiple times, its so clumsy. This book is not written by a master craftsman, but somebody who has a story to tell that could do with a good editor.

Also it would be really good if the publishers could get the typos out of the kindle edition.

Microsoft® Windows PowerShell 2.0 Programming for the Absolute Beginner
Microsoft® Windows PowerShell 2.0 Programming for the Absolute Beginner
by FORD

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too slow, 27 Aug 2010
I know PowerShell, I use it nearly daily and have written many scripts that are used in production mainly around virtualisation.

What I'm looking for is a book for my co-workers and customers to enable them to learn PowerShell. I used to recommend the little volume Monad ( Andy Oakley ) but it never got updated for RTM/V2.0. The Payette book, although brilliant, is not for learning PowerShell either...

So I purchased this book in the hope that I could recommend it to others, but I won't be. Having looked through it (page by page) I find it moves way too slow, it's built around creating games in PowerShell that are stuffed with white space and just fill pages. What I really really object to is:
- The order the book runs in: Who needs to know about PS background jobs (p98) before variables (p133) and the pipeline (p106)
- How can you get to p133 before you learn about variables?
- How can it take 106 pages to get to pipeline?
- etc etc

I'm sure if you had the time you could learn PowerShell from this book, maybe it's me and my co-workers, but we live with our hair on fire and nobody is going to take 133 pages to wait to learn about variables. No, the structure of this book is all wrong and I would appear to have bought a lemon. I was considering passing it on to a co-worker anyway, but I don't know anyone whose time I want to waste.

I might be better off buying the remaining copies of the Monad book and hand-annotating them with updates.

There must be a better book for busy IT people to learn PowerShell than this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2014 1:25 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3