Profile for S Fraser > Reviews

S Fraser (Harrogate, UK)

Trixie 76196 Corner Rock with Cave and Platform 26 × 20 × 26 cm
Trixie 76196 Corner Rock with Cave and Platform 26 × 20 × 26 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars DOA, 16 July 2014
Like other reviewer I received this cracked with pieces missing entirely. Some pieces were in the box and other bigger pieces were not, suggesting it was broken before packaging.

Apache Maven 3 Cookbook (Quick Answers to Common Problems)
Apache Maven 3 Cookbook (Quick Answers to Common Problems)
by Srirangan

2.0 out of 5 stars No added value, 16 Jan. 2012
While there's nothing particularly bad, the problem with this book is that there's nothing particularly good. A collection of how-tos that are all pretty much identical, there's no deep insight here. The other review weren't here when I ordered the book (taken me a while to write a review) and I was looking for something that would show me how to get more out of Maven. All I really learned was how to apply the knowledge I already had in some similar circumstances; if I wanted to do any of the tasks in the book I would simply have Googled it. I would have expected this book to have something more than the answers I would find there, but there is no added value to be found.

Hardcore Java
Hardcore Java

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably better named Softcore java, 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Hardcore Java (Kindle Edition)
If this is a book aimed at those wishing to become experts then it is no wonder it is so hard to recruit decent developers. The vast majority of it was blindingly obvious and the only unknown tidbits were insignificant details that I had forgotten through lack of ever having to use them. Pretty much everything here is covered in the SCJP exam, which I would consider to be an entry level exam, so I struggle to see what is so 'hardcore'.

Voice Of The Gods: Book 3 of the Age of the Five
Voice Of The Gods: Book 3 of the Age of the Five
by Trudi Canavan

2.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly predictable, 2 Aug. 2009
I was expecting some sort of twist in this the third book of the series, but the plot played out exactly as you'd guessed by the end of the first book. It was embarrassingly predictable and I was just cringing by the end. All of this wouldn't have been so bad, but for the author's inability to create likeable characters (it was quirky after reading one book, but now I've realised it was unintentional). All the way through the series I was waiting for Auraya to get her comeuppance, and some of the other, more interesting, characters to actually develop, but I was sorely disappointed throughout.