Profile for S. Fairbank > Reviews

Content by S. Fairbank

S. Fairbank (S.Wales, U.K.)

Sony DK48 Magnetic Charging Dock for Z3/Z3 Compact
Sony DK48 Magnetic Charging Dock for Z3/Z3 Compact

2.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, 29 Nov. 2014
This worked fine for a few weeks. Now I have suddenly started experiencing issues with it as per other reviews I have since read on the website; that the phone simply will not charge unless the phone is pressed or held in place inside the dock. I am disappointed to find that I am exactly 7 days out of the return or refund window, so the entire £22.25 I wasted on it is exactly that - a waste. Surely when something is simply not fit for purpose like this, a refund can still be sought? After all, I would hardly class a month of use fair wear and tear or even a reasonable length of time an item like this would be expected to last. Bitterly disappointed and annoyed.

HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One Printer
HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One Printer

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating!, 16 May 2011
I bought this printer as a replacement for an old Canon model which was starting to cause me problems. I did a lot of research and came across this model, it fitted the bill perfectly - I liked the idea of being able to scan and print documents/photos all from one place. I shopped around and got the best price and set it up with my Windows XP computer. No issues at all, managed to set it all up wirelessly without any hassle.

Then I decided to upgrade my PC, and bought a Windows 7 based one in December. Ever since then, no end of issues with this printer. One thing I desperately wanted on more than one occassion was to scan, but suddenly the printer would not allow me this funtion - not from the printer itself or via the pc. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all software countless times as suggested by the customer service section of the HP website. I even downloaded the relevent updates, all to no avail. Eventually I came across a solution which said to leave it all disconnected for a number of minutes and try again.

Hacked off with it all at this point, I left it more than a couple of minutes. More like a month. And tried again. Now it doesn't even recognise the printer. And despite the fact I have literally printed about 10 documents (certainly no more than 20, and none with any colour), all the ink cartridges are reading at nearly empty.

I have now had it up to here with this printer and only wish that it wasn't now just over a year old so I could return it from whence it came. Seriously wish I had stuck with my good old trusty Canon, now. Unbelievably upset and disappointed.

Thousand Suns
Thousand Suns
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Thousand Suns (Audio CD)
Received this for Christmas, and it's lovely. Packaging is great too. Never having come into contact with these sorts of figures in the past, I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the box. So just a note in case there are others of you like me out there who are completely new to this - you have to make it yourself. It took me about 5 hours thereabouts and I actually really enjoyed doing it. The instructions were very easy to follow, no painting or gluing required, and the finished item is fab. I love it and am very, very happy with it. Then there's also the included CD of A Thousand Suns. Personally, I own it separately so haven't needed to open this one up, but according to the back of the CD, it includes a special bonus track - a live version of "New Divide" - on the end of the normal track listing.

A Thousand Suns [NTSC]
A Thousand Suns [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Personally, I love it, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A Thousand Suns [NTSC] (Audio CD)
I have been an ardent Linkin Park fan since Hybrid Theory, and loved all their albums. So naturally, I pre-ordered this as soon as I could. It didn't arrive on release date for some reason, and whilst I waited for it, I came upon disconcerting reviews about how appalling this album truly is. When it arrived, with some trepidition, I listened to it. I loved the sound of the opening track, but pretty soon was left unconvinced. The songs just didn't grab me like they had on Linkin Park's previous albums, and I feared that the poor reviews had all been right after all.

I won't lie to you - I left it a while before properly sitting down and listening through it again, thinking maybe the first time I'd been too distracted to appreciate it properly. My final thoughts about it now? I absolutely LOVE it. No, it is nothing like Hybrid Theory, the album which most disappointed fans seem to be comparing it to. But if you actually take the time to listen to each and every song, the lyrics are amazing. Not to sound like a cliche, but these songs really do speak to you. This was always something that Linkin Park were credited for from the get-go - the fact that people could really relate to what the band were saying. Just because the songs aren't heavy rock/metal, and Chester isn't screaming continuously, does not make it any less powerful. Just think of My December - amazing vocals on a "softer" track which was outstanding. Even "filler" tracks such as "The Radiance" and "Wisdom, Justice and Love" have strong words and strong emotions tied to them - something which Linkin Park actually explain in the accompanying booklet.

I can't understand the critics review that Amazon have used for this album. To me, it's unnecessarily disparaging; and to remark that certain songs are "wet" couldn't be further from the truth, and a term used just because they are softer (again, for want of a better word) songs. They clearly haven't really given it a good chance. Not wanting to sound like a broken record, but it's the lyrics that actually take my breath away, and are something I can truly relate to. "Iridescent", for example, contains the line; "Remember all your sadness and frustration, and let it go". As I said before, Linkin Park were always known and appreciated by their fans for speaking to them and being relatable - I just don't see how this isn't just because it doesn't sound the same as old.

I accept and agree that this will not be everyone's cup of tea. There will always be people who prefer the sort of music that you can pump your fist to and vent your anger on, and this album - although profound - isn't necessarily one of them. But I do urge those of you who are undecided about whether to try it out or not to at least give it a go. You may be very pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

Life Before Her Eyes [DVD]
Life Before Her Eyes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Uma Thurman
Offered by Rapid-DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars A very watchable, underrated film, 10 July 2010
This review is from: Life Before Her Eyes [DVD] (DVD)
I had to write this review, as it was disappointing to see many of the other reviews so damning in so few words (most only said a couple of derogatory lines about it before promptly giving it 1 or 2 stars). The first time I watched this film, I admit I didn't get the ending straight away, and nor did I understand entirely what was going on throughout - but I was intrigued. At no point did I think it was stupid or pointless, and by the end I felt all the more curious about this movie, to the point where I watched it again a few days later. It was at this point that it started to make "more sense", for want of a better phrase. Obviously, I don't want to say too much about it otherwise I'll give the whole thing away, but watching it the second time was far more fulfilling than the first. Knowing what was going to happen didn't spoil the affects of it at all; in fact it was interesting and somewhat exciting to sit back and look out for the hints and clues weaved throughout the storyline, and then to enjoy the film for what it actually is. The acting is also brilliant, particularly from Evan Rachel Wood and Eva Amurri (who playing young Diana and her best friend Maureen respectively).
A lot of the information and reviews that I've read about this film since just don't seem to "get" it at all. They either haven't given it any chance, and simply downcried it as being crass and "incomplete", or they've misunderstood it and used those incorrect theories as opportunity to give the film a poor rating. All I can say is give it a chance. Maybe watch it a second or third time. Read the theories about it online to help you make up your own mind about it. I've watched it a third time recently, and can finally say that I really do like this film. I admit to not being sure about it at first - certainly not sure enough about it to actually buy it. However today, I have finally purchased it. I just had to write a review as best as possible without, as I say, giving any of it away, just to try to implore people to not always judge a film by it's ratings/reviews - you might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Nintendo Wii Console (Black) with Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort and Motion Plus Controller (Wii)
Offered by Oligopoly Charity

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Nov. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic product, as other reviewers have said before it blends in well with the TV, BluRay Player and even the Sky box! One notable improvement on the black wii is the standby - when you switch the console off via the Wii-mote, it goes to red on the console, whereas on the white wii, switching that one off via the remote only turns it to amber. I like this improvement, although small, as the difference between the green and amber light was so minute you could barely see it on the white console. I guess those of you familiar with it might know where I'm coming from - at least on the black wii I know I have actually turned it off!

It comes complete with black remote, black nunchuck and black motion plus controller, including two silicone covers for both sized remotes. I just prefer the look of the black console and accessories - the blue lights stand out better on it all and it just looks sleeker. They've also included a special cleaning cloth for the wii to avoid scratching. I guess this time round they really have thought of everything!

As for the gameplay - fantastic. Innovative and so much fun. Particularly Mario Kart Wii, endless hours of family fun!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2010 4:35 PM GMT