Profile for M. J. Dawson > Reviews

Content by M. J. Dawson

M. J. Dawson (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Supercharge Your Kindle Sales: Simple Strategies to Boost Organic Traffic on Amazon, Sell More Books, and Blow Up Your Author Mailing List (Book Marketing for Authors 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and original, 20 Oct 2014
Very good indeed - short and succinct but original and powerful tactics to help boost your sales. Recommended.

Cocaine - Volume Two
Cocaine - Volume Two

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just as good. The writing is tight and yet entertaining, 20 Oct 2014
I've been looking forward to the second book in this putative trilogy since enjoying the first book last year. It's just as good. The writing is tight and yet entertaining, and the tension is racheted up by Hillgate (it is cinematic in parts, apt for a man with screenwriting in his resume). I genuinely didn't know which way the plot was going to go, but it ended up neatly tied down but with plenty of scope for the final book in the series - one which I will, again, have to wait to read. Good stuff.

Not What They Were Expecting
Not What They Were Expecting

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, sensitive and brutally honest - a fabulous book, 9 May 2014
Not What They Were Expecting is the story of Rebecca and James, two people in a happy relationship who decide to have a child. My wife and I have only very recently had a second child ourselves and so I can report that Doran hits plenty of notes here, with the result that the book is a fast, pleasing and, most of all, realistic read. As other reviewers have noted, there are lots of twists and turns but everything is very neatly tied up come the last page and it was with a sense of satisfaction that I put the book onto my virtual shelf.

Doran is a naturally funny writer and incredibly versatile to boot - one paragraph will be concluded by a brilliant gag and then the next will include a sharp and cutting insight into this most exciting time of life.

I loved his first book and I think I enjoyed this one even more. It's very highly recommended.

Imperium
Imperium

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Imperium (Kindle Edition)
Harris really is an effortless writer, and this is a consummate act of ventriloquism the equal of anything he has done before. As a writer myself, I can only nod the head. He's masterful and this is recommended.

Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as advertised, 31 Dec 2013
I picked this up on a recommendation and I'm glad I did - well written and wise, with some very good ideas that I'm going to take advantage of. Excellent for anyone with an interest in writing.

Dan Taylor is Giving Up on Women
Dan Taylor is Giving Up on Women

5.0 out of 5 stars Assured debut from a very impressive new author, 24 Sep 2013
Doran has created a credible and wholly sympathetic character in Dan, an everyman for whom it is impossible not to root. I defy any man of a certain age to not read the novel and not identify - to a lesser or greater degree - with him. I know I did, more than just a little bit, and more than I'm going to admit in a public forum like this! I've read interviews with the author where he admits that there is a strong element of autobiography present here; good advice, as ever, is to write what you know and it might be that, perhaps, that makes Dan into such a believable character.

The writing style is easy-going and compulsive and the jokes are subtle, a very welcome change to others in the genre who seem obsessed with cramming them onto the page to the extent that (1) they aren't funny and (2) the story is smothered. Not so here. There is no grand-standing or shouting from the rooftops about how funny Doran is although I'm happy to report that the answer is very funny indeed. He has a deft touch and a very dry, very knowing sense of humour. This is a book to read stealthily if you are in public. A number of chortles excited concerned looks from fellow passengers on my morning commute.

For a first novel this is assured and impressive. Doran is, in my opinion, a big new talent and his debut deserves to do very well for him. As mentioned by another review, I'd also love to have a sequel.

The Ultimate US TV Quiz Book: The '80s (Ultimate Quiz Books Book 1)
The Ultimate US TV Quiz Book: The '80s (Ultimate Quiz Books Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 2 Jan 2013
As a dedicated child of the 80s, and a lover of 80s TV, this was a great little find. With dozens of questions to test your knowledge, there are likely to be some answers that you didn't know - I was surprised to add a little to my treasure trove of useless information, ensuring that I can maintain my status as one of the world's most boring dinner party guests.

Cheap as chips and plenty of fun, I can't help but enthusiastically recommend this.

The Shoulders of Giants (A Jake Abraham Mystery)
The Shoulders of Giants (A Jake Abraham Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and satisfying - very highly recommended., 2 Dec 2012
I wasn't sure what to make of this novel by an author I haven;t heard of before, but I needn't have worried. It's a well written and ingeniously plotted detective thriller that mixes one part Ed McBain, another part Sue Grafton and a third part - the largest part, at least for me - of Carl Hiassen.

I have some interest in forensic pathology myself, and, as another reader has noted, the sections where the green Jake is schooled in the art are particularly strong (and interesting). It's an old literary trick to use an inexperienced central character as a proxy for the inexperienced reader, thereby easing the way into an unfamiliar and exciting world, and Cliff really does nail it.

In a world where detective protagonists are very often not the most likeable of characters, Cliff has created in Jake a gumshoe with whom I would happily share a beer.

The pacing is good, especially once the introductory paragraphs are out of the way, and I found myself with a case of the "just one more chapters" that I was unable to resist. A late night ensued!

Very highly recommended, and I'll be looking out for more from Cliff (and Jake, I hope).

Half a Dozen of the Other
Half a Dozen of the Other

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, wry and well recommended, 21 Oct 2012
Marshall reminds me a lot of the young Douglas Coupland. Half a Dozen of the Other is an ambitious debut novel, taking the Short Cuts style ensemble of characters and blending them together in the course of one momentous day. Much as Coupland dealt in post-millenial angst, so that is the canvas onto which Marshall paints these beautifully observed vignettes of modern life. The characters are all well-drawn and entirely credible, running the gamut from seemingly happy to doomed. The bite-sized chapters lend the novel great pace and it was a book I've found hard to put down since I bought it, and, I suspect, one I will return to again. So, an impressive debut; funny and sad in equal measure; and thought-provoking from the first page to the last. Very highly recommended.

The Jew with the Iron Cross
The Jew with the Iron Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, Funny, Thrilling, 29 Mar 2012
Hillgate is a consummate pro, and The Jew with the Iron Cross is written with such a distinctive authorial voice that it is very easy to be completely absorbed into its world. The pages turn almost without noticing, and the superb attention to period detail makes it easy to forget that you are reading something written recently, rather than from the period within which it is set. It's a delicious combination of funny, engrossing and thrilling, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. A real gem, and one you won't regret picking up.

Page: 1 | 2