Profile for L. Zimmerman > Reviews

Content by L. Zimmerman

L. Zimmerman

How To Do Standard English Accents: From Traditional RP to the New 21st-Century Neutral Accent
by Jan Haydn Rowles

4.0 out of 5 stars It Helped Me to Do My RP accent, 22 Mar. 2013
I am an American living in the UK and regularly perform with my local am dram company. I bought this book to help me do a RP accent for a production. Admittedly, I have some advantages for learning the accent. I have been living in south east London for four years, and have an RP-speaking husband to coach me.

Nevertheless, this book was a big help. At first, I found it a bit intimidating (lots of scary diagrams of mouth shapes and air movement, and so many ways your pronunciation can go wrong), but that's because this book is the real deal: authoritative and comprehensive. It laid the groundwork for me to start learning properly. It was also a useful reference to turn to when my husband told me something 'sounded wrong' but he couldn't say why. There are lots of exercises. Particularly useful for me was the 'Top Tips for North Americans' feature. Naturally, the book includes access to MP3 files so that you can listen to samples.

Ultimately, I think I pulled off the accent. Certainly, I don't think I could have done any better without personal tuition from a professional dialect coach.

Christmas Magic
Christmas Magic

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Christmas Magic (Kindle Edition)
This is a collection of very predictable, sentimental stories. Almost all of them are about kind 'women who love too much', who find happiness in the end. There is nothing particularly exciting or original here. This collection made for a bit of easy reading before bed, but not much else. Also, as several other reviewers have pointed out, the title is misleading. Only a few of the stories have a Christmas theme.