Profile for Jennifer Trathan > Reviews

Content by Jennifer Trathan

Jennifer Trathan

Rekindled (A Silver Creek Romance)
Rekindled (A Silver Creek Romance)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Sep 2014
I've really enjoyed this series.

Frederick's Queen: The Clan Graham Series
Frederick's Queen: The Clan Graham Series

3.0 out of 5 stars I've loved all of Suzan Tisdale's books but I didn't enjoy ..., 14 Sep 2014
I've loved all of Suzan Tisdale's books but I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others. Still, it passed away a few hours and was still an enjoyable read.

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World [DVD]
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Film, 19 July 2012
This film is a comedy/drama about the road trip taken by an insurance agent and his much younger neighbour to reunite him with his first love before the world ends (the Armageddon/Deep Impact heroics haven't succeeded and that asteroid is going to hit us). He takes the dog that had recently been dumped on him, and she takes her favourite l.p's and off they go, getting into scrapes and adventures on the way. The l.p's are a very important part of the story as they provide the soundtrack to their journey, to be honest they made the film. The scene where Herb Alpert's This Guys In Love With You plays in the background brought as lump to my throat.
It has some great funny moments as well, the dinner party scene especially is hilarious.
I must admit I've never been a huge fan of either Steve Carrell or Keira Knightley but both are excellent in this enchanting story.
When we first saw the trailer we thought this would be worth a watch, it was a great feeling to come out of the cinema totally surprised by how much we loved it.

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by R.J. Ellory

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 25 Sep 2011
Roger Ellory is one of my favourite authors. I have loved every book he's ever written. Since first reading Ghostheart (which still remains my favourite) a couple of years ago I have looked forward to starting each new book, knowing what a satisfying experience it would be.
A friend had bought this book and I mentioned how much I was looking forward to reading it, at which point she said she hadn't even finished it and I could have hers because she knew she wouldn't be reading any more of it.
So you can imagine my feelings when I eagerly started it and found that I also was completely unimpressed. I stuck with it to the end, hoping that at some point I would become engrossed, but it never happened. I won't get technical about why I didn't enjoy it - I just hated every bit of the story !
Not since The Lovely Bones have I picked a book up expecting so much and being so disappointed. I read reviews praising this book so much and it leaves me confused - why did it leave me cold but others inspired ?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 5:17 PM BST

Imitation Of Life [DVD] [1959]
Imitation Of Life [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Lana Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my Mother, 29 Sep 2010
As this is a film about mothers and daughters it was appropriate that the first time I saw it was in the 1960's, taken by my mother, a huge Lana Turner fan, to our local Odeon. It was showing in a double bill with Madam X. I was spellbound by it, and by the time it ended was a wet dishrag, crying my eyes out. I loved both of the mothers, but disliked both of the daughters, immature brats both of them. Great Stuff !!