Profile for Julian Goldberg > Reviews

Content by Julian Goldberg

Julian Goldberg (London, UK)

PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2.4A 12W (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 5 iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch and Android Devices (cable NOT included) - White
Offered by E-TRADING24 LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Broke within a month - but replaced!, 19 May 2013
It looks very nice, but ours stopped working within a month. We tried charging iPhones through it and it died :(. Maybe we received a faulty unit.

UPDATE: The seller provided a replacement by first class post which works. Excellent customer service and fingers crossed this one will survive,
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 11:17 PM BST

Mammoth XT Snore Stopper Clip - Clinically proven to eliminate Snoring
Mammoth XT Snore Stopper Clip - Clinically proven to eliminate Snoring
Offered by Mammoth XT Supplements

1.0 out of 5 stars Ineffective for me, 23 Mar 2013
When I woke up this tiny transparent thing had vanished from my nose and was lost amongst the pillow. The SnoreLab iPhone app also measured no difference in my snoring. Very sceptical of anything that mentions 'acupressure point' as its mode of action. Waste of money.

GA010 - Kingfisher Quiots Game
GA010 - Kingfisher Quiots Game
Offered by Pick 'n' Choose

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 21 Aug 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
2 of the rope quoits were broken within minutes of leaving the box. The "rope" is made of plastic which is nowhere near as nice to handle as the real thing. Cheap rubbish from China. I recommend that you look elsewhere are spend a few more pounds for something better quality!

Russell Hobbs 14864 Digital Steam Generator
Russell Hobbs 14864 Digital Steam Generator

4.0 out of 5 stars First time ever I've actually enjoyed ironing!, 22 Mar 2012
My wife and I used to HATE ironing, we are busy people, it took too long.... and so basically we never did it and just put up with creased clothes. We've had this iron for a few days and.... for the first time ever I am actually enjoying ironing! And for the first time in ages we are wearing properly ironed clothes!

With this product ironing is incredibly quick and effective, the creases just melt away with one pass. It is really pleasure to experience. I am sure we will never go back to a conventional iron after this.

It looses a star as the steam pump is a bit noisy, which annoys my wife. And also because I fear that the limescale filter will not last long, and will be expensive to replace (it comes with one spare).

Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface
Behringer UCA202 U-Control Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface
Price: 21.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent external sound card for laptops, 25 Jan 2012
I bought this to act as an external sound card/digital-to-analogue-converter (DAC) to improve the sound output from a laptop. I have found it to be absolutely excellent and remarkable value for money!

Without this device sound output from laptops tends to be very flat with no dynamic range (e.g. an audible difference between quiet and loud sounds). Music lacks depth and feeling. However, as soon as you plug in this device the sound output from the computer is transformed: it goes from being 2D to 3D; from car stereo to hi-fi: the difference in quality is remarkable!

The device is about the size of a cassette, and has both RCA outputs (to connect to a hi-fi) and a headphone output. You simply plug it into the USB port on you computer... plug some output cables into the device.... and it just works! There is no annoying software to install, and it works on PCs and Macs (I use both)

Sometimes you may need to go into control panel/audio devices and select the 'USB Audio Codec' to activate it, but it really is straightforward. (The device also has audio inputs for recording instruments, but I haven't used it in that function so can't comment on performance.)

For the price it's performance is fantastic. I even gave one to my boss as a present and he absolutely loves it too!

Compared to more expensive devices I expect a 90/10 rule applies - this device gives you 90% of the performance for 10% of the price. If you listen to music through your laptop/computer through headphones or a hi-fi and value good sound quality, I highly recommend this device!

Advantages:
- Excellent performance for the price
- Transforms sound quality from laptops
- Small size
- Easy to use
- No annoying software
- Works on Macs and PCs

Disadvantages:
- Low price won't impress hi-fi snob friends

I, Claudius [1976] [DVD]
I, Claudius [1976] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Derek Jacobi
Offered by MMRSALES
Price: 4.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Dutch edition... but outstanding TV Series!, 2 Aug 2011
This review is from: I, Claudius [1976] [DVD] (DVD)
This is a Dutch edition of the BBC boxset which doesn't include English subtitles and has double sided dvds. The dialogue is in English, but be warned that this cheaper version is an import! I wish I'd spent a few more pounds and bought the 5-dvd UK edition, as my wife and I often use subtitles.

...but saying that, I Claudius was one of the best TV series we've ver watched. Epic, historic, and memorable... I can't recommend it highly enough!

Lost Cities
Lost Cities

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun 2-player game with surprising subtlety and depth, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Lost Cities (Toy)
This is a remarkably well designed 2 player card game whose rules can be learnt in 5 mins. In our first evening with this game, my wife and I played 5-6 rounds in a row. Although the rules are simple, there is a surprising and satisfying level of depth and strategy to the gameplay. When played well it involves skill, luck, forward thinking, bluffing, and attempts to hinder your rival's plans.

This game has a reputation as one of the best 2-player games out there. When first reading the rules I was surprised that such a simple game could live up to the hype, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the depth of the gameplay so far. Most importantly it was great fun to play and left you wanting to play again when the round was up. A round can be completed in 15-20 mins although you'll probably want to play a few in a row.

Although the pricing is quite expensive for what you get in terms of components, it's a brilliantly designed game and I'd recommend it for partners up for a quick and fun bout of competition and mental challenge!

TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
TeckNet MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G,
Offered by TECKNET
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Hissing bad signal quality, 3 Mar 2011
Perhaps I got unlucky with the item, but I just can't get a clear signal with this. There is a constant, audible hissing which makes listening to music through this in my car a very dissapointing experience. It seems like the signal it is transmitting just isn't strong enough.

I loved the idea of this before purchasing, but the experience has fallen well short of my expectations, and as it stands it will barely be used.

I'm considering trying the more expensive iTrip.

3M Metre TV VCR Video Aerial Coaxial Fly Lead / Cable Male to Male White + Female Coupler - Gold Connectors
Offered by Consoletronic Ltd
Price: 4.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality cable, 18 Nov 2010
This is a cheaply manufactured, poor quality cable. The plugs fit very loosely in the aerial wall socket and fall out frequently under minimal force. I'm getting bad reception to the TV and I think the cable is to blame. Needs to be replaced.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2011 6:56 PM GMT

Panasonic TX-P42S20B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV with some downsides, 17 Oct 2010
This is a truly excellent TV - a world better than LCDs. The colours are natural, the blacks are black, the motion tracking good, and there isn't a retina burning backlight bursting through from the rear. Watching a film on it in a darked room really feels like being in a cinema - very impressive and absorbing.

However, its not perfect...

1) Being a budget model, Panasonic left out a decent ambient light filter. This means that in a bright room the colours can look washed out and the blacks become grey. Had I been more aware of this before buying, I might have stumped up the additional cash for the g20, as you need a dark environment to see the pictures on the s20 at their best.

2) When switched off its a pretty ugly piece of kit! A giant grey blue slab with a reflective glass screen dominating one side of the living room.

3) I wish it came in 37inches! 42 inches is that bit too big and ostentatious for us and our room - 37 would have been perfect but they don't make them in that size!

But if you value good picture quality and colours, and can handle the downsides mentioned, this is truly excellent TV. Forget about LCD!