Profile for Gerard Wilkie > Reviews

Content by Gerard Wilkie

Gerard Wilkie (West Lothian Great Britain)

The Rules of Acting
The Rules of Acting
by Michael Simkins
Price: 8.39

4.0 out of 5 stars An Actor's Life, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Rules of Acting (Paperback)
I've always wanted to be able to act , but in reality I can only ever be myself so that's a little bit of a problem straight away . I've always been impressed by people who can credibly become another person as I find it difficult o even be myself.

RADA trained Michaels Simkins lifts the lid on the acting world , and gives his advice to any aspiring actor through a selection of humorous anecdotes about the life , work and tribulations of an actor. Along the way there are insights from such luminaries as Sir Ralph Richardson , Terry Scott and Kenneth Williams . Think the life of the actor is glamorous ? , then read the account of the actor , the pig and the 'cock-sock'.

This was a really fun and amusing book , and kept me giggling throughout , and even made me wish that I decided to take up acting :)

Holy Shift! 365 Daily Meditations from A Course in Miracles
Holy Shift! 365 Daily Meditations from A Course in Miracles
Price: 1.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Holy Shift, 1 Jun 2014
A Course In Miracles is a well established self-study course in self-help and psychology . It has been translated into 22 languages and is studied throughout the world . The course is designed to be studied every day of the year , hence its 365 lessons , and is composed of a text and a workbook . What the course aims to do is to provide you with a sense of enlightenment and inner peace through contemplation and forgiveness.

The full course can be a large volume in itself (the Kindle version alone is 1380 pages) , and the premise of this book , Holy Shift , is to provide you with a condensed version which still conveys a similar message . This book is ideal for anyone who is interested in A Course of Miracles and is looking for more information , but can also be used as a companion volume to the main course as a kind of summary.

A Different Kettle of Fish: A Day in the Life of a Physics Student with Autism
A Different Kettle of Fish: A Day in the Life of a Physics Student with Autism
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Insight Into the Autistic Mind, 31 May 2014
This book really strikes a chord with me . I am autistic myself and can struggle with idiom sometimes , and it usually leads to confusion. The cover of this book sums it all up - to my autistic mind I see a drawing of two kettles of fish and wonder why there is such a thing . Then I realise it is there to illustrate an idiom that I don't quite understand . However - to a neurotypical mind , they would probably look at the illustration and see the allusion straight away and be amused at the joke that would take me some time to get .

This is a brilliant book which uses situations and illustrations to highlight occurrences that tend to confuse the autistic mind , and by so doing enables neurotypicals to understand what it can be like to be autistic . Often people get frustrated when I don't understand typical everyday situations , but I'm living in a world that constantly throws confusion at me that I struggle to get by . At times , reading the book I would think "and...?" as I was reading from an autistic perspective and the author was just highlighting the kind of things that happen to me all the time , but when I try to see how a neurotypical would look at that situation , then I fully understand the point that he is trying to convey.

This is a great book , but one that I would strongly advise for neurotypical people to understand the autistic mind and just what it can be like to have autism .

Bang in the Middle
Bang in the Middle
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Midlands Saga, 25 May 2014
I am a Scotsman myself , but lived for several years in Staffordshire and the West Midlands . My wife is a proud Brummie and my eldest daughter was born in Wolverhampton , I went to university there and spent some of the best years of my life in the Midlands , so this book was always going to be of interest to me .

Robert Shore sets off around on a journey of the Midlands to discover what it means to be a Midlander in the 21st century , and the result is highly amusing and entertaining . Personally I preferred the second half of the book as in that part he travels around all of the places I know so well . Along the way , he looks at the importance of the Midlands in areas as diverse as the world of heavy metal (rock luminaries such as Ozzy Osbourne , Slash and Lemmy are all proud Midlanders) and curry , in which he samples the delicacies of Birmingham's 'curry mile'.

A travel writer along the likes of Bill Bryson , this is a cracker of a little book :)

Cherringham - Murder on Thames: A Cosy Crime Series (Cherringham (English))
Cherringham - Murder on Thames: A Cosy Crime Series (Cherringham (English))
Price: 1.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 24 May 2014
The premise of this book is bizarre , to say the least -Jack Brennan an ex NYPD homicide detective decides to move to the sleepy hamlet of Cherringham in the English Cotswolds to get away from it all after the death of his wife . Not long after arriving , he is caught up in the investigation of the death of local woman Sammi Jackson . He , along with Sammi's friend Sarah , think that this was murder , but the local police have different ideas . Thus begins their private investigation into Sammi's death. And fun it is too.

Think Midsummer Murders meets NYPD Blue , and you're starting to get a feel for the book . This title is the first to be released in a series of 12 self-contained books in the Cosy Crime Series by Bastei Entertainment , all of which will feature the semi amateur detective duo of Jack and Sarah , and if this title is anything to go by , then I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of them being released.

This was a very enjoyable book to read and one which I was able to read in one sitting - it took less than two hours to read , but left me as satisfied at the end of it as many books of greater length do . All in all , it was a book with few red herrings which managed to come to a satisfying denouement

Been There. Done That. Try This!: An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth
Been There. Done That. Try This!: An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 18 May 2014
I am an adult with Asperger's and have a particular interest in autism related books . I'm going to keep this short as I'm sure that most of you will be aware of Tony Atwood's work and the standard of his output . He is at the forefront of autistic research and his books provide a valuable insight into the autistic mind and are essential reading for anyone on the autistic spectrum or for somebody wanting more information on autism. This tome is no exception.

The book is basically a self-help people for people with Asperger's , which enourages them in how to cope in situations which they would normally feel uncomfortable . Atwood , Evans and Lesko have edited the title , but each provides their own input along the way . Each chapter is composed of a self-help guide to cope in a particular situation and is summed up at the end with Tony Atwood providing further insight , information and links as well as helpful coping strategies and analysis . The quality of the contributors is absolutely top notch , and we get sterling input from inspirational people with Asperger's , such as Temple Grandin.

An interesting insight into the autistic mind is given by the awesome artwork , which has been done by artists with Asperger's , and shows how they themselves visualise stressors.

There are really not that many self help books for people on the autism spectrum , but this one is easily one of the best. A must read.

Kallimni 'arabi: An Intermediate Course in Spoken Egyptian Arabic
Kallimni 'arabi: An Intermediate Course in Spoken Egyptian Arabic
by Samia Louis
Price: 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 3 Aug 2008
I have studied Arabic for over 30 years , and wanted to learn the Egyptian dialect for a recent vist there , so this book was ideal. As it is entirely in Arabic , I would not recommend it for a novice , but it met my requirements. Before doing this book , I would recommend fully studying Teach Yourself Arabic , and perhaps the Pimsleur audio course in Egyptian Arabic . This will give you confidence in reading and listening to Modern Standard Arabic. The language the book teaches is the everyday speech of Egypt and the accompanying CD is superb, so having completed it
I managed to actually sound like I had an Egyptian accent when I went there. The book can be tough going , but it all depends on the level of your MSA , and really I would not recommend learning dialect until you fully master the standard language. I have read many books on Arabic , and if you are already fluent , then this is certainly the best book on the market to learning a dialect.

Cafe Ireland
Cafe Ireland
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cafe Ireland, 10 Dec 2002
This review is from: Cafe Ireland (Audio CD)
This really must be one of the finest ever compilations of traditional Irish music ever . From the opening lines of Clannad's Cucanandy to the final note of Mary Black's Mo Ghile Mear , it is triumphant stuff . It even has on it Galway Bay , the tune of which the Pogues nicked for Body of an American . This is a must for ALL true music lovers , and will give Clannad fan's something different to listen to .