Profile for johnny > Reviews

Content by johnny

johnny "johnny" (Belgium)

JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland

3.0 out of 5 stars terribly bloated if you're not an absolute beginner in computers, 26 July 2011
It's the first time I bought a "missing manual", because I was looking for something about javascript/jQuery I could take on holidays, and it got good reviews. Probably my lowish rating is for the missing manual series, not just for this book:

It contains sentences like: "Now place you cursor behind the ; and press enter to insert a new command". Yeah...

So, it's not a bad book and the approach the author takes (focusing on hands-on jquery stuff) is fine, but it should come with a very big disclaimer "For absolute beginners".

JavaScript: The Good Parts
JavaScript: The Good Parts
by Douglas Crockford

5.0 out of 5 stars not as hard as other reviews make you believe, 26 July 2011
I bought this book before reading all the reviews, and then got a bit scared that it would be too hard to learn anything useful just reading it cover to cover. It's not like that at all. I'm new to javascript, and it was absolutely fine to learn the syntax and concepts, and it actually got my interest in functional programming back up.
So I would definitely recommend this book to a computer scientist wanting to find out about javascript as a language, not as a tool to make flashy websites. Of course, the main reason I give it five stars is because it's short :-).

I guess my criticism is actually that there's some redundant stuff in the book: the chapter on regular expressions, for example, is fine as a chapter on regular expressions (in javascript), but that's something you would typically look for in reference manuals. The JSON parser is pretty much waste of paper: a url would have been good enough.

Perfect CV
Perfect CV
by Max Eggert

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, 24 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Perfect CV (Paperback)
Great help. Much more concise, and far more useful than the other books I bought on the subject.

Building and Maintaining a Data Warehouse
Building and Maintaining a Data Warehouse
by Fon Silvers

1.0 out of 5 stars Is it just the editor's fault?, 24 Aug. 2008
Nope. This book leaves me with the impression Mr Silvers wanted to make a quick buck (there must be easier ways!). The content is not at all illuminating, and at some points I would definitely question Mr Silvers' expertise. But I can understand that when you write a book on a somewhat broad subject, some chapters will be easier to write than others.

What I don't understand is the load of grammatical errors. Okay, blame the editor (if there was one).

But what I can't stomach: consistently copying sentences or paragraphs and pasting them in following sections. Really unbelievable and the reason I just had to write this review.

In short: it's a bad book, badly edited, and incredibly annoying in the details. If I knew how to delete the single star I gave already, I would...