Profile for A. B. Kenwright > Reviews

Content by A. B. Kenwright

A. B. Kenwright "tonyk186" (Liverpool UK)

Dream On: One Hack Golfer's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
Dream On: One Hack Golfer's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
by John Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars A tough challenge but an easy read., 20 Jun 2014
Really enjoyed this book and a lot of the things the author said have stuck with me and even helped improve my own golf. Golf obsessives will not find a cure here but will discover the new leader of their self- help group. Recommended.

Under The Skin [DVD] [2014]
Under The Skin [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johanssen

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marmite of Films, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Under The Skin [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Have rarely seen a film that divided audiences like this one. For me it was irresistable, haunting, beautiful, tender, dark, eerie, sharp and deliciously under-explained.
In the days before videos and DVDs etc. when the only way to see a film again was to go back to the cinema for a second look, I occasionally did that. I haven't done it for 20 years but this film so intrigued me that I actually went back to the cinema two days after first seeing it to watch it all over again. Guess what? It was even better the second time. I'll be buying the DVD because I suspect it might be even better the third time. It's like nothing else you've ever seen but as I touchstone I'd say that if you thought Let The Right On In was a masterpiece, I did, then you'll love this.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 4:43 PM BST

PULSE - PMH200KIT - PA SYSTEM, PA HEAD + SPEAKERS
PULSE - PMH200KIT - PA SYSTEM, PA HEAD + SPEAKERS
Offered by Inta-Audio

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrived damaged and didn't work., 14 Jan 2014
Bought for my son for Christmas. Tried it when it arrived and couldn't get it to work. It turned out to be the leads and I had to spend £24 having new connections fitted. Because of proximity of Christmas he would not have had a present on the day if I'd sent it back. One of the grills on the speakers had also taken a hefty knock resulting in considerable cosmetic damage. When lead problem was sorted the system sounded good and of course I should , and would, have complained at any other time of year.

Glass Electronic bathroom Scales Large LCD Display
Glass Electronic bathroom Scales Large LCD Display
Offered by siamexpress

1.0 out of 5 stars They look good but that's about it!, 3 Aug 2010
I bought these mainly because of the price. Within no time they were 'acting up' and spontaneously switching from stones to kilos. Every time I reset them they just went and did the same thing again. I should have sent them back but, because they were so cheap, I couldn't be bothered.

The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-800, SB-900, and R1C1 Flashes
by Mike Hagen

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and badly illustrated, 9 April 2009
I'd already bought the Nikon D300 book in the same series (which was really good) and that was one reason why I took a chance on this. This book really missed a lot of opportunities to show good examples of flash set-ups and tips for being really creative with flashlight. It does make the Nikon flash manuals slightly more accessible but it is seriously flawed by the terrible examples the author gives to illustrate his points. His portraits are some of the most dull and lifeless I have ever seen in print...not a good recommendation for Nikon's Creative Lighting System by any means.
As a working photographer there are about 10 percent of the photographic illustrations that I would consider giving to a client. The rest I wouldn't have taken in the first place or, if I had, I would have deleted within seconds.
I like the Nikon CLS (once I'd learned to set the AE-L/ AF-L button to FV lock to prevent sitters having half-closed eyes) but I'm sure I won't be alone in believing that trial and error experimentation has taught me more about flash placement than this book possibly could. At the recommended price it's well overpriced and rather nerdy in tone. A huge disappointment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2009 5:53 PM GMT

A Grand Don't Come For Free
A Grand Don't Come For Free
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of genius...., 12 Jun 2004
I'm too old to be listening to this stuff but having heard 'blinded by the lights" while walking through a record shop I had to buy the CD. It is superb. If I was 19 I would think it was the best album ever made. Even at almost 30 years older than that I think it's the most articualte comment on 'youth' since Bob Dylan told us that the Time's Were A'Changin". Comic, inventive, wasted and wounded it's John Cooper Clarke and Eminem getting together to do Parklife with a huge chunk of Hammill On Trial thrown in. Along with Richmond Fontaine's Post To Wire this is one of this year's truly great albums.

Land Of Dreams
Land Of Dreams

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps his very best, 26 Sep 2002
This review is from: Land Of Dreams (Audio CD)
Randy Newman is one of those artists who will be eulogised after death but who is rarely cited as an influence, or indeed a genius, during his lifetime. Land Of Dreams is a tremendous album. From the autobiographical thread of the first three tracks, Newman moves off into different territories but always with his sharp, sardonic eye firmly focussed. Bad News From Home is simply one of the saddest songs ever while I Want You To Hurt Like I Do, is one of the most savage. Ignore Masterman and Baby J and maybe Money That Matters and you have a near faultless album. Buy and treasure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2008 5:03 PM BST