Profile for Charly Dunning > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Humans
The Humans

5.0 out of 5 stars A Refreshing, Comedic take on Science Fiction, 13 May 2015
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
I discovered this book at Waterstones, and within the first few pages it had me giggling, so I decided to buy it on the Kindle store the moment I got home (because unfortunately I don't have the space for anymore books, they have to take up my hard drive instead).

If you are unsure as to what this book is about, the premise is this: an alien from an incredible advanced world light years away from our own, is sent to Earth on a mission to clear all evidence of a particular scientific breakthrough that scientist Andrew Martin has discovered. Hours after this scientific breakthrough, Andrew Martin is killed, and an unnamed alien has taken residence inside Professor Martin's body. All he has to do is get rid of any evidence of this breakthrough, and exterminate anyone who knows of its discovery. But will our unnamed narrator go through with his mission statement, or will he fall prey to human emotions and find himself unable to go through with it?

I dived into the book only grasping a very loose idea of the premise, so as to what would happen was beyond me. This constant state of the unknown is what helped keep the pages turning, especially during the first 100 pages of the book, as during that time I found it quite difficult to connect with Andrew (I will refer to the main character as "Andrew", as although the narrator is left unnamed, "Andrew" is the name of the body he inhabits.), and I'm unsure as to why, perhaps it was because his reflections were of the more negative persuasion? Eventually though, Andrew won me over. In particular, his scenes with his dog Newton were my favourite. The fact that he's able to communicate with him (despite being in a human body) is a humorous notion, and his scenes with Newton always left me smiling.

The mathematical jargon that occasionally spilled over several pages did leave my eyes glazed over, I must admit. But, I managed to pull through and though I will never claim to be an expert mathematician, I do feel like I've learnt a few new things - for example, the beauty and complexity of prime numbers.

The more I read the book the more impossible it became to put it down. I entered this fictional world with no real preconceptions on how it could end, or what could happen in between, so every plot twist was completely out of the blue for me, and for that to happen in a novel is a very rare thing, and something that should really be noted. As I reached the last few pages I was going crazy hoping that the storylines would be neatly wrapped up by the final page. As to whether that happens, I won't reveal, but what I can say is that the ending leaves you wanting more, just as a good book should.

All in all this book was a real treat. Full of humour, deep musings about our life as simple Earthlings that if you're not careful, could tip you over the edge to a existential crisis (please, no one tell Dan Howell about this book!), hit you right in the feels, as well as sending shivers down your spine during specific creepy moments towards the end of the book (remind me never to read scenes like that in the middle of the night, all alone). If you're looking for something completely different, or you happen to be a lover of aliens, mathematics, humour and peanut butter, then this book will be perfect for you. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for books by Matt Haig in the future. You have a new fan, dear sir!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2016 7:44 PM BST

5 x Assecure pink metal extendable retractable telescopic stylus slot In touch pen for Nintendo 3DS DS
Offered by ZedLabz Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have for your Pink 3DS, 11 May 2015
Arrived fairly quickly, and in perfect condition. They work perfectly, and because they are so cheap it doesn't really matter if you lose them! Would definitely recommend :)

The Little Shop of Hopes and Dreams
The Little Shop of Hopes and Dreams

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy, Sweet Read, 11 May 2015
I spotted this book in the Kindle store for the bargain price of 19p, and as I was in the need of an easy read, I thought I'd give thiis sweet little book a go!

"The Little Shop of Hopes & Dreams" is about a woman called Nicole Harrison, a hopeless romantic who lives vicariously though the happiness of others. She runs her very own proposal planning business with her two best friends, and works tirelessly around the clock to make sure everything is running smoothly. Their first client just happens to be a local celebrity, a perfect client to kickstart their business with style! Nicole knows that getting this proposal perfect will ensure success for the business, so she strives to do everything her client wants. But, there is one problem. Her client's boyfriend just happens to be Nicole's old flame! Will she continue to plan a proposal of Saffron's dreams, or will she try and keep Alex for herself?

The book was a little predictable, but it was still a sweet read. Nicole and Alex were the only characters who seemed to have some depth to them, and obviously their time together was a delight to read. If you're looking for an easy, sweet book to read, then "the Little Shop of Hopes and Dreams" is just for you!

All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully
All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflections on Growing Up Gracefully

4.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Guide to Being a Grown-Up, 10 May 2015
I have been a big fan of Carrie's YouTube channel, ItsWayPastMyBedtime, for a couple of years now. I love her subtle comedy, her constant ability to look on the bright side, her wonderful thought process and of course, her beautiful voice. Over the years of weekly videos, I feel like Carrie has become a dear friend, so when she announced that she was releasing a book, I was overjoyed with excitement for her, as she was finally fulfilling such a big dream of hers.

Carrie and I are just a year apart in age, so I wasn't expecting to take away anything from this "guide", but boy was I wrong! There are so many small points she makes in the book that have hit home to me, and I'm trying to achieve them in my daily life ("sar-chasm", for example). As well as an abundance of advice, this charming guide is filled to the brim with hilarious stories that'll keep you entertained. So, whether you are a loyal fan, or a newcomer to the Hopefuls (that's what we call ourselves!), if you're 45 or just on the cusp of 13, you will love, and draw wonderful advice, from this book.

So, CONGRATULATIONS Carrie, and I'm excited to see what you write about next!

The Heir (The Selection, Book 4) (The Selection Series)
The Heir (The Selection, Book 4) (The Selection Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Wonderful Surprise!, 10 May 2015
I have to admit, like a lot of readers, I was very surprised when Kiera brought out a fourth book to her trilogy series: The Selection. I had loved reading the original books, and it was very bittersweet for me when the series came to end, so what a marvellous treat it was when it was announced that Kiera was resurrecting the series, but from Maxon & America's daughter's point of view.

"The Heir", as I mentioned, focuses on Eadyln, King Maxon & Queen America's first child. As she was born just seven minutes before her twin brother, Ahren, Eadlyn will be the first princess in Illéa's history to inherit the throne. Such a prospect has conditioned Eadlyn to become the strong, independent, poised, headstrong and reserved woman she is today. She grew up considering such qualities to be assets as a Monarch, but when it comes to relationships, she soon discovers that they are her weaknesses.

During King Maxon's rule, the caste system has been eliminated, so that people are once again equal. Unfortunately, years of peace and happiness in the country soon turn to protests and uprisings, as the final stage of the castes is eliminated. To distract the people so he can come up with a new plan for peace upon his people, King Maxon decides to hold a Selection for his daughter, Eadyln. After much convincing and negotiating, Eadlyn agrees to the plan, and within a few weeks she is now sharing the palace with 35 prospective husbands. Will Eadlyn manage to drive the boys away, or will she surprise herself and begin to fall for one of them? And will the Selection continue to distract the people before an uprising occurs?

I LOVED this book. It was interesting seeing The Selection from the Royal's point of view, as well as seeing how Maxon & America had fared during the years. I feel like Eadlyn is a more flawed character than her Mother, so it took a little longer for me to fall in love with her, but now I am totally rooting for her! The book ended on such a cliffhanger, which tugged at my heartstrings in more than one way, so I'm very excited to read book number five!

In conclusion, then, if you loved the original books from The Selection series, you will love The Heir!

The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2 (Don Tillman series)
The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2 (Don Tillman series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 12 Feb. 2015
I loved "The Rosie Project", and although I didn't feel like it warranted a sequel, I decided to read it anyway!

Unfortunately, I was left disappointed. The charm and sparkle that the first book exhibited has diminished, and we're left with predictable situations and their outcomes. I feel like Graeme was coerced into writing a sequel by his publishers, and because of that the book doesn't read as well. It feels forced in a way.

For those unaware, "The Rosie Effect" is the sequel to the popular, unique and sweet romantic comedy, "The Rosie Project." Don Tillman has found love, and is now living with his wife Rosie in New York. Don's life is turned upside down when Rosie tells him she is pregnant. How will Don react to this unplanned pregnancy? Will he be a supportive husband, or will he drive Rosie away? And, more importantly, is it possible for Don to be a good Father, and to love his child?

As I said, this book has lost the magic that the original possessed, and because of that I was left very disappointed. I highly recommend reading "The Rosie Project", but I advise you to skip this book all together.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 8 Feb. 2015
I am a big fan of Star Wars, and when I discovered that there was a series of books based on the iconic films, I was over the moon.

The brilliance of these books, is that our ferocious appetite for more Star Wars content is satisfied. You learn more about each character, especially about Anakin and his life as a slave on Tatooine. The book is thick with descriptions of the different worlds and their occupants, helping you to fully immerse yourself in the story.

I really enjoyed the authors writing style, and I am looking forward to checking out more of his work. I am more excited, though, to read the second book in the series: Episode II - The Clone Wars. If you loved the films, then you will love this book, I cannot recommend it enough!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely gift, 3 Feb. 2015
Bought this as a gift for Mum. It arrived swiftly and it was well packaged. The necklace itself is beautiful! The chain is a very good length, and then clockface works perfectly! It is a wonderful statement piece, and would brighten up any plain outfit! Definitely a wonderful gift for a special person in your life.

The Big Bang Theory: Season 1-7 [DVD][2014] [2007]
The Big Bang Theory: Season 1-7 [DVD][2014] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Gift for Big Fans!, 3 Feb. 2015
I bought this as a gift for my Big Bang Theory obsessed Mum. It arrived the next day, very well packaged and in good nick. All seven seasons for £30 was a real bargain! Mum's been loving watching them, and it appears to have been the perfect gift.

The Big Bang Theory is a hilarious comedy chronicling the lives of a group of young scientists, an engineer and their friend Penny. Roommates and best friends Sheldon Cooper and Leonard Hofstadter's geeky and socially inept lives are changed when Penny, a gorgeous waitress and aspiring actress from Omaha, moves into the apartment next door. Penny becomes an unlikely addition to the comic book obsessed group of friends, and they become the weirdest group of best friends you'll meet.

If you love "Friends" and the geeky side of life, then you'll love "The Big Bang Theory"!

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1 (Don Tillman Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly witty, charming and fascinating novel about how you can't find love, it finds you., 3 Feb. 2015
My Mum and sister have been badgering me to read this novel for about a year now, and then a couple of days ago I finally bothered to give it a go!

Don Tillman is a geneticist who is desperate to find a wife. All previous attempted conquests had failed, as they never went beyond the first date. In answer to this problem, Don comes up with The Wife Project, a scientific test to find the perfect partner. Answered questionnaires come flooding in, and this is how he meets Rosie. After their first date, he deems her incompatible, but that doesn't mean she is out of his life. Rosie throws Don's perfectly scheduled life into chaos, causing him to become a rule-breaker, baseball expert and have a job as a waiter.

If you love characters like Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory) and Sherlock Holmes, then you will adore Don Tillman. Graeme Simsion has created a unique romantic comedy that will leave your cheeks hurting from smiling too much. It is a brilliantly witty, charming and fascinating novel about how you can't find love, it finds you.

"The Rosie Project" is the first book in the Don Tillman series, and I am so excited to read the sequel, "The Rosie Effect." I cannot recommend this book enough!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14