Profile for Carpenter > Reviews

Nikon GP-1A GPS Unit for Digital SLR
Nikon GP-1A GPS Unit for Digital SLR
Price: 179.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 1 Nov 2013
Yes expensive but it's a great addition to one's kit. I have it permanently fixed to my Nikon D7100. It's tiny and unobtrusive and seems to pick up the GPS signal without any problem even when attached to the strap. Will drain the battery if you leave it permanently on as I do. Finding the exact spot on the map (in Lightroom) is a real bonus now for me with hundreds of photos from the past whose position I can regrettably no longer identify.

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black
Offered by AVIDES
Price: 15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 1 Nov 2013
Gives a good powerful puff with a long spout to fit inside your DSLR. That's all that needs to be said.

Nikkor Lens AFS DX 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Nikkor Lens AFS DX 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Price: 142.00

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars but not genuine Nikon??, 30 Oct 2013
I've got fantastic images with this lens (5*****) but as it was my first I was a bit green. Having purchased further Nikon lenses which have all come with a Nikon certificate, I realise now this lens didn't come through the appropriate channels: no certificate but in what appears to be a Nikon box with an 8 digit "Serial no." on the side. All my other lenses have 7 digit serial numbers on the Nikon warranty. You've got to watch out with Amazon sellers. Unfortunately is seems difficult to determine exactly where they are based. I purchased an item from a seller called "UK Style" so in my naivety I assumed it was a British company. No. Chinese. Crafty b*****s.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2014 9:20 AM BST

How to Photograph Wildlife Like a Pro (How to Photograph Anything like a Pro)
How to Photograph Wildlife Like a Pro (How to Photograph Anything like a Pro)
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 3 Oct 2013
Mostly states the blindingly obvious. One or two useful tips though. Little else to say. I have already deleted it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted., 3 Oct 2013
Well engineered product. Screws smoothly on the lens and filter. Dispatched from China thus took an age to arrive. Don't be in a hurry to receive it.

Advanced Digital Black & White Photography
Advanced Digital Black & White Photography
by John Beardsworth
Price: 17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You need the full Photoshop, 16 Sep 2013
This book was not for me but I don't want to deny its usefulness to others. I have Photoshop Elements but the first part of the book (I didn't get to the end) covers the full Photoshop techniques and it expects you to be fully familiar with them hence the little Photoshop steps at the sides of pages wholly lacking any explanation as to how to negotiate through them.

Manfrotto Light Duty Grip Ball Head
Manfrotto Light Duty Grip Ball Head
Price: 84.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for macro photography. Think again., 12 Sep 2013
Easy and quick to reorientate the camera and OK for portraits and landscapes but no use for the tiny adjustments needed for macro photography. I found I had to tighten the little screw on the side again and again to prevent the camera clunking up and down a centimetre or so. All in all - I wished I had bought a conventional ball head rather than this thing.

Living & Working in Germany (Living and Working)
Living & Working in Germany (Living and Working)
by Nick Daws
Price: 11.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 23 Aug 2013
With the prospect of moving to Germany I purchased this book on the basis of the good reviews. At a glance, it is obvious this book is just not fit for purpose. I live in the UK and I want detailed advice on matters pertaining to transferring my home and my life to Germany and its many implications. I would say that much of the book's content is to be found in a travel guide for holiday makers.

Isherwood
Isherwood
by Peter Parker
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "A page-turner" indeed, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Isherwood (Paperback)
I learned about Isherwood when the film Cabaret was released in 1972 and then again through "Christopher and His Kind". Having discovered that I am living not far from Nollendorfstr, my interest in the man was rekindled. "Isherwood" is a mighty tome and the Sunday Times is absolutely correct - it is a "page-turner". I'm not as knowledgeable as the learned reviewers on this page clearly are, but the book has left me with an intimate connection with Isherwood with whom I have two things in common - one of them being we have both had an operation for Dupuytren's contracture.
It would be specious of me to pick faults with the book. At the very least you have here the life of a man from start to finish - warts and all. If only I had known more about him in the late 60s and 70s.
I have no idea why it did not receive Bachardy's blessing despite the fact that he only enters the picture three quarters of the way through. But it certainly has my blessing.

Handel: Recorder Sonatas
Handel: Recorder Sonatas
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever, 8 Aug 2013
I have about four or five recordings of Handel's Recorder sonatas by various solists and they are all pretty much the same - each soloist saying "it is only a recorder so I'll show you how good I am and play everything at lightening speed." A movement from this recording was played on AVRO Baroque and as soon as I heard it my ears pricked up - I knew there was something special about it - something different. The soloist allows the music shine through and not squash it by playing everything movt Vivace.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9