Profile for Philip Black > Reviews

Content by Philip Black

Philip Black (North West England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Breville TT49 Polished Stainless Steel 4 Slice Toaster
Breville TT49 Polished Stainless Steel 4 Slice Toaster

2.0 out of 5 stars The toaster that produces cold toast...., 20 Nov 2010
I've owned this toaster for just over a year and I dislike it for several reasons:

1. Hard to clean, the crumb trays are good but the narrow groove around the top is a trap for dirt and crumbs.
2. Very slow: it seems to heat bread incredibly slowly and gently which leads to the biggest problem...
3. Toast from this device emerges at a very lukewarm temperature and the first slice will be completely cold by the time you've collected the second. This may sounds like eccentric ramblings but it's been a consistent problem from day 1. And of I use an above average setting.

To top it all, one of the slot-pairs broke the moment the 1-year warranty expired suggesting poor build quality or QA. It was the side I hardly used too...

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM)
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Single Player Point of View, 13 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The Single Player Campaign could be a bit longer but it's a great story coupled with mostly very strong gameplay. As always Blizzard's interface shines through.

Far Cry 2 - Complete Edition (PC DVD)
Far Cry 2 - Complete Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken by bugs, 11 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game could have been great, but the game-breaking bugs say otherwise. I for one found the game progress broke at 44% and after 20 hours of attempting replays of various bits, workarounds etc I found it just does not want to keep going and there's no more missions for me to take until the last on I took is marked "Complete".
I rescued the darn woman - she's now stood there in the bar happily chatting away!

Other people got even further and their game broke at 88% which must have been even more frustrating. The worst part is that the Devs seemed never to be interested in fixing this, content instead with planning "harder modes" and FC3.

This could have been a 4 or even 5 Star review but instead I can only rate it 1.

Brainbloodvolume
Brainbloodvolume
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars No idea how I missed this, 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: Brainbloodvolume (Audio CD)
Despite NEDS being among my favourite bands, this album managed to pass me by. 10 years later I had to import it from the USA!
Thankfully it's great!

Tomb of Horrors: A 4th Edition D&d Super Adventure ("Dungeons & Dragons" Super Adventure) ("Dungeons & Dragons" Super Adventure)
by Ari Marmell

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (with the essential errata update), 11 Sep 2010
Well written, good value and deadly these adventures capture the themes and spirit of the original without the horrendous frustration and over-the-top lethality: it actually looks playable and fun, not something that would wipe out the players and put them of the game!

The only real flaw in this book is that the Chapter 2 maps missed out an entire layer of graphics so the large number of Traps and Secret Door locations are unmarked.
Thankfully, after I catalogued the missing markings, the author (Scott Fitzgerald Gray) provided updated maps at his website and via the DDI Forums / Errata / Adventures section.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2010 7:46 AM GMT

Sony Bravia KDL37W5500U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and 100Hz Motionflow

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 2 Mar 2010
Arrived in 2 days (even on Free Super Saver Delivery) and initial setup was very simple.

Replacing a badly knackered 32' CRT I was bound to be impressed by this TV but it's still managed to exceed my expectations so far.

No backlight problems on mine and once I set the various upscaling options on the TV (and attached PS3) I've got most things displaying in 1080p which is incredibly lifelike and crystal-clear.

The 2x10w speakers are reasonable for normal use but a Receiver and Speakers are recommended for the more serious audiophile or gamer.

The only niggles are the Guide Plus+ channel list resetting to the top of the list each time you return to the Guide and I can't seem to find a way to have the Channel Up/Down button to just use the Favourite Channels I've set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3