Profile for IanW > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
FreeCell+
FreeCell+

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Windows 7 version, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: FreeCell+ (App)
This is a variation on the Freecell game introduced with Windows 7, but doesn't come anywhere near it for the quality of the graphics and ease of playing. OK to pass a few minutes if you're bored.

Jigsaroid - Jigsaw Generater
Jigsaroid - Jigsaw Generater

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough space to see the pieces, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jigsaroid - Jigsaw Generater (App)
This is a good idea, but when the puzzle has been created, the pieces fill the whole screen area. This makes it very difficult to see the whole picture.

HMDX Jam Party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
HMDX Jam Party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Offered by Digital Save UK Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful, well built, attractive portable speaker that can be used anywhere in the home., 24 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression of the Jam Party Wireless Bluetooth Speaker was that it is a well built, quality product. A sturdy carrying handle is provided, which can be retracted when not in use, and a kick stand can be released from the bottom of the unit to raise the front if required.
Having used the supplied charger to charge the battery, which took less than an hour, I tried to connect it with my Android MP3 player. Pairing was immediate, followed quickly by connection and, when I played a track, I was very impressed with the sound quality. The volume range was far greater than I will ever use. I then tried connecting to my Android tablet, with similar results.
A covered socket on the rear of the unit is provided for the charger and there is another for the "Aux" socket to attach a line-in cable. Connecting a line-in cable disables Bluetooth.
Finally, I tried connecting to my Samsung Galaxy S3, which was more difficult, but was achieved after rebooting the phone. I'm pretty sure this is a Galaxy problem as I also have difficulty with connecting to my car's Bluetooth.
It should be possible to control Pause/Play and Forward/Backward on the playing device on the speaker, but I was unable to make Forward/Backward work. This isn't an issue for me, but it might be for others.
Bluetooth range is quoted as 10 metres, which is not great, but for my use it is more than adequate. I have a three story house and with my playing devices on the middle floor, I am able to use the Jam Party anywhere in the house. However, with my MP3 player in my pocket, I can take the Jam Party wherever I want and, all-in-all it is a very useful, well built, attractive portable speaker that can be used anywhere in the home.

Philips QG3362/23 12-in-1 Waterproof Complete Facial/ Hair Trimming and Styling Multigroom Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a number of Philips styling products in the past, I was rather disappointed with the Philips Complete Facial/ Hair Trimming and Styling Multigroom Set. Firstly, as so often these days, the instructions were poor and, although I did manage to work out how everything fitted together, it was a little hit and miss. A visit to the Philips website failed to turn up anything useful.
There basic unit has four interchangeable heads, some of which can be fitted with one or more of the seven removable guards which are used to vary the distance of the cutting blades from the face. Fitting the guards is awkward and accurate adjustment is difficult.
However, having worked out how to use it, effectiveness varied from head to head. Although the Multigroom can be used to cut hair, this is, in my opinion, something best left to a professional and I didn't try it. However, I did find the main head, fitted with the beard trimming guard very effective and the "detail cutter" was also very useful for cutting a sharp, smooth edge to my beard. The very neat eyebrow trimming guard that can be fixed to the detail cutter was also a bonus.
The nose and ear hair cutting head was also quite effective, although a little slow and difficult to use.
The foil head, however, was too small and totally inadequate for removing hair from the "clean" part of my face, making it necessary to finish off with a wet shave.
On the plus side, battery charging takes only an hour, and there is no silly transformer.
I already own a Philips dedicated beard trimmer, which is easier to use and just as effective. I will continue to use this for beard trimming, but I will use the Multigroom in conjunction with it to take advantage of the additional features.

1642 Soft Nappa Leather - Slim Glasses Case with Tab Fastener 4309_17
1642 Soft Nappa Leather - Slim Glasses Case with Tab Fastener 4309_17

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife is so delighted with it that I have just ordered another one in red., 6 Nov 2013
This is a beautifully made soft leather case with a secure tab fastener, which is perfect for protecting spectacles. There are pockets on each side of the case and, on one side, there is a neat pen holder. I purchased this for my wife and she is so delighted with it that I have just ordered another one in red.

National Rail Enquiries
National Rail Enquiries

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, even for an infrequent train traveller, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: National Rail Enquiries (App)
I don't travel by train very often so, when I do, I need to find a suitable train very easily. This guide is easy to use, even for an infrequent train traveller, so I would certainly recommend it.

Twitter
Twitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for use "on-the-go"., 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Twitter (App)
I use Twitter mainly on my desktop computer, but the Twitter app is very good for use "on-the-go" on my Asus tablet and GalaxySIII. However, there are a few useful features that are not available, so just four stars.

Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Mail

5.0 out of 5 stars Complement BT Yahoo mail on my desktop computer perfectly, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Yahoo Mail (App)
I have used BT Yahoo mail on my desktop computer, through Outlook, for many years. I use the Android app on my Asus tablet and Galaxy SIII phone and it is excellent. Sending and retrieval of mail is easy and the excellent sync facility makes maintenance simple.

Kindle Fire HDX User Guide: Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!
Kindle Fire HDX User Guide: Newbie to Expert in 2 Hours!

3.0 out of 5 stars I downloaded this guide by accident, so I have no use for it., 3 Nov 2013
I downloaded this guide by accident, so I have no use for it. However, having downloaded it, I looked through it and it seemed to be a reasonably useful book.

The World Atlas of Wine, 7th Edition
The World Atlas of Wine, 7th Edition
by Hugh Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like wine, and like books, this is a must, 3 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a truly impressive book in every respect; size, quality and content. The cover is solid and substantial and the pages are printed on heavy weight glossy paper. It is well laid out; making it a useful reference and the maps are beautifully drawn. This is the seventh edition and is bang up-to-date.
The book starts with the history of wine making, from the ancient world to the modern wines that we drink now. It examines the vines on which the grapes used for wine making, and the "terroir" in which they are grown, the grape varieties, internationally and nationally and the making of the wine in the vineyards and cellars. It then looks at the barrels in which the wine is stored, and in some cases aged, and the various methods of stoppering the bottles. There is also a very interesting section on the modern winery and the new thinking that has brought about the production of many new wines.
However, the main body of the book is dedicated to a most comprehensive description of the world's wine making regions, and the wines produced in them, classified by country. Central to the classification are very detailed maps of each wine growing region, showing the contours of the area and the location of the towns, villages and vineyards. Each wine type is examined in detail and each producer is ranked according to the quality of the wines they make.
The book can be read sequentially, or the reader can "jump" into a selected wine using the very comprehensive index. It is not only interesting, it is educational; if you like wine, and like books, this is a must.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20