Profile for FromTheSouthernTip > Reviews

FromTheSouthernTip

The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945
The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945
by Ian Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate and insightful look at the collpase of Germany, 17 Oct. 2011
Books on Nazi Germany abound, and many cover the same ground. Ian Kershaw has taken a refreshing approach the Germany's last 10 months. I found his examination of why Germany refused to surrender absolutely fascinating. He peppers his analysis with human interest stories, and the result is an uncompromising exposure of the terrible brutality of that regime. He shows what little room the ordinary German had to manoeuvre in this last bitter stage, and the terrible price they paid for it. I got hold of a copy of the great propaganda film Triumph of the Will, which I watched while reading this book, relishing the tragic irony of it all. The book is enriched by Kershaw's strong sense of compassion, which threads through the book as he reminds one that however bad it was for the ordinary German, it was much worse for the prisoners.This is highly readable: I am not an academic, but someone with an interest in this period and I found it unputdownable.Mr Kershaw, I hope you tackle the Nuremburg Trial next.

This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 16)
This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley Mysteries 16)
by Elizabeth George

2.0 out of 5 stars George bombs-again, 15 Feb. 2011
What is with with these successful churn-em-out authors? Do they eventually think they are above editing? Do their fans stick to them no-matter-what? Do they believe that more is more and fail to see that it is less? Elizabeth George lost her touch long ago. It has been many years since I manage to wade past the first few chapters, though, bless me, I always make the effort. I really gave this one a good try, but I have to say-what is good is not original, and what is original is not good. The story is a direct lift of the tragedy of James Bulgar, and the subsequent resurfacing of John Venables in the news.She sets the scene well at the start of the novel by moving between seemingly unrelated stories. The social worker's reports are always the most fascinating. But does this story have to be spun out quite so mercilessly? Does George think we have nothing else to do but wade through her verbosity?I gave up at about page 200, and just picked up on the social worker reports to the end to find out what ensued. I did, and it took all of 10 minutes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2011 3:10 PM BST