Profile for Mr. Laurence Williams > Reviews

Content by Mr. Laurence W...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 830

Mr. Laurence Williams "laurence_p_williams" (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Seven [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [1995] [Region Free]
Seven [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [1995] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterful and VERY Grim Horror/Mystery/Thriller, For Me the Blu-ray Only Improves the Vibrant Soundtrack, 23 Aug. 2015
I first saw this film on release in the cinema on an 'invite' (I can't believe that was now 20 years ago !), not knowing anything about it at all except the film title. Like another film I saw in the same way ('The Silence of the Lambs'), watching with complete ignorance meant I was soon quite shocked at what I was watching as the title is not that forthcoming !

On viewing, 'Se7en' soon disgusted me with the inherent and very bleak/graphic 'horror' and I left sickened and swearing never to watch the film again - after some reflection I soon changed my mind....

The director, David Fincher, has for me over time 'flip-flopped' between mediocre efforts (eg 'Panic Room', the awful '...Benjamin Button') and superior productions - this film is very much in the latter category, along with 'Fight Club', 'Zodiac' and more latterly 'Gone Girl' (even with it having the awful Ben Affleck in a leading role !).

Now, for me, this film is something of a classic and manages to shock without needing to reach the almost OTT levels of gore/blood/guts modern horror movies possess - this is testament to the superior way this film is produced, directed and acted.

It pulls no punches and, when viewing, you might even feel like you've been punched yourself due to the the shocks within....

I already had this film on the New Line 2-disc CE which presented things very well and is loaded with extras.

I got it again on Blu-ray (on the strength of an earlier upgrade with 'Fight Club') as whilst it probably wouldn't improve the picture, the often very active and always atmospheric soundtrack would probably be better as it has a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mix in the same way as it is for 'Fight Club'.

I was not disappointed !

The plot (and settings, including a bleak city suffering regular and heavy rainfall) is grim and, from my own experience, I feel is best left alone for potential first-time viewers (including the Amazon description which reveals too much), as there is much more scope for misunderstanding/revelation (eg 'seven' is first hinted at in the film in a different way to how the 'real' plotline then utilises the term...) and, more importantly, the potential for 'horror' shocks is not spoiled.

Suffice to say that it involves American police detectives with elements of mystery, violence, murder and gore in almost equal measure (plus some occasional humour and quite a bit of bad language) to provide what I think is a perfect blend of movie horror adult 'entertainment' - it rightly has an '18' certificate and it also has the potential to induce nightmares and the like.

For me, when upscaled, when compared directly the DVD looks pretty damn good and compares VERY favourably to this Blu-ray; only in the later exterior shots is there a (small) noticeable difference. The difference is with the sound, as the DTS 'upgrade' provided on this Blu-ray (the DVD has DTS 5.1) makes things aurally much more dynamic.

So, as the disc extras are the same the only difference for me is with that soundtrack change which should please 'upgraders'. For everyone else, unless you've a suitable surround sound system to exploit the difference, I think that either the 2-disc DVD or this Blu-ray will provide the same level of 'horror satisfaction'; the 2-disc DVD would also get 5 stars as it is also excellent.

The only other caveat being the UV copy with this issue or if you get the recent REGION FREE USA-released Digibook like I did, which sweetens the deal with an impressive photobook keepsake as well (or the UK steelbook perhaps).

I've attached piccies of that Digibook below.

----
Unlike the US, it appears that both Blu-rays issued here have identical specification ie the more 'recent' 1080p picture and 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that the initial US release did not have.
So, aside from the UV copy it looks like either UK disc will get you the same presentation and extras.
----

Hush Puppies Belfast, Men's Oxford Shoes, Brown Leather, 9 UK
Hush Puppies Belfast, Men's Oxford Shoes, Brown Leather, 9 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A Well-Made and Comfortable Shoe - Gimmicky 'Dual-Fit System', 22 Aug. 2015
I bought these Pakistan-made shoes on an Amazon 'Lightning Deal' of £30.20 earlier this month and whilst I'm pleased with them, have earlier reviews to thank for that as I took heed of the 'small' size comments and ordered a 'size-up' from normal (I take a snug 8, roomy 9 eg allowing for a gel insole).

These shoes are definitely on the 'small' size, despite having a 'wide' suffix on the box label; they also have what I think is a gimmicky 'Dual-Fit System' which will do little to improve the fit.

That's because the removable blue-coloured insert of that 'system' is Monty Python/Mr Creosote 'wafer thin', being compressible and barely 1mm thick.

So, having ordered a size 9 I have a well-fitting shoe (whether that insert is present or not); had I ordered an 8 they would have been way too tight at the front and destined for a return.

I think you have to order them on the large size more for the front width being OK (as they are not that wide) rather than the overall width/length...

The leather quality is good and the sole appears to be durable. Mine are more 'light tan' than the advertised/pictured 'brown'....

On the negative side, they are a little more 'lightweight' than I would have liked and I'm not too keen on the lower lace holes only being punched out of the leather though as this usually leads to premature wear...

For the 'Lightning Deal' price I paid they are perfectly fine - with hindsight, I would not pay the normal ticket price of £55-£65 though...

*** Luckily, this shoe has an Amazon free return facility - so if you can't get the purchased size to work for you all is not lost.

This would have been the same for me, but I could not have then bought the correct size at the same 'Lightning Deal' price so that's why I had to be more careful about getting it right first time !

My star rating is for the price I paid; had I paid the normal £55/£65 price I'd have probably taken advantage of the free return facility and returned them on value for money grounds, irrespective of them fitting or not, and given them 3 stars.

For £30 and a good fit they get 4 stars...

Offered by holywell tools

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised and IS Wall-Mountable !, 25 July 2015
If you're after a laser level this might cost a little more than some other reputable makes (eg Black & Decker) but, from my pre-purchase investigations, the outlay gives you some features they might not have...

As far as performance is concerned, it worked for me as I had hoped; I usually stick to Bosch or Black & Decker so my 'loyalty' has once again proved worthwhile.

This is sold on Amazon on a lot of different pages, here are the links to the Amazon sale page and another seller, both of which have other reviews and might also be cheaper :

3. Cross-hair laser lines.

I'm not sure I understand the problem I read beforehand in other reviews about the laser lines getting 'thicker' due to the projection distance; as long as they're still well-defined, and of constant thickness, you can still use them by either using the top/bottom or (worst case) a specific distance 'inside' the line. The crucial factor with this level is that the lines ARE of constant thickness.....

Also, it works at any angle you want and then the self-levelling feature is pointless of course.

It's sufficiently lightweight to allow it to be readily located where you want by either sitting it on a surface (eg ladder step for high-up work) or using the included clamp.

*** Finally, it's worth mentioning that (again in contradiction to other reviews) I think wall-fixing IS possible since there is a notched opening on the top clamp jaw which should accommodate a small-headed screw, nail or, MUCH BETTER (since the latter have a less secure way of interfacing with the notch inside to ensure attachment is secure) a threaded cup hook which can screwed into the existing wall fixture.

The clamp jaws might not then be 'level', but since the fixing part of it is adjustable you can still get that necessary 'within 4degrees' for self-levelling !

[I've included a photo of that bit of the clamp jaws to help you understand my point along with it in use that way plus a view of the choice of bases/fixing threads]

So, I think this level works as advertised and, with the included clamp/fixture, offers the opportunity to use it in a multitude of environments.

Bosch Quigo Self-Levelling Cross-Line Laser Level
Bosch Quigo Self-Levelling Cross-Line Laser Level
Offered by holywell tools

Swingers [1996] [Blu-ray]
Swingers [1996] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jon Favreau

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining, Amusing and Snappy 'Bromance' - Great On Blu-Ray, 23 July 2015
I saw this film on the TV some years ago and enjoyed it very much, enticed by the director being Doug Liman rather the 2 lead actors, Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn, who I'd never heard of before and had, but hated in anything I had seen him appear in, respectively.

This quite new Blu-ray release produces a very acceptable and vibrant picture along with a quite buoyant 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack which is best-utilised for the variety of background music, since little else is broadcast apart from dialogue.

Now some 20 years old, the film is to quite a degree a 'vehicle' for the talents of Favreau, who not only acts in it but wrote the screenplay and was a producer. Whilst he may now be better associated as a director for films such as the excellent 'Iron Man' and then on, back in 1996 he was only an emerging-personality in Hollywood and this film was where it all started for him really.

Unsurprisingly the story revolves around the Favreau character, who has recently experienced a failed relationship and is as a result utterly bereft and crest-fallen. Soon after, a friend of his (the Vince Vaughn character) feels the need to try and shake his mate out of his morose state with an impromptu trip to Las Vegas (heard that one before ? !) for some drinking, gambling and women-chasing....

So, whilst this might all seem a bit basic and bland as the plot for a film it is not really why you (I) watch - it is because of the snappy-dialogue, the excellent way it is delivered and the enjoyable characterisations.

That is despite the fact that whilst everyone appears to be having a good time (aside from the Favreau character who is essentially in a permanent state of upset and grumpiness) I never get the impression that anyone is actually acting in the true sense of that term ! They seem to be 'playing' themselves, and you could be excused for thinking that this is a fly-on-the-wall documentary of young people swanning around in their hometown of Los Angeles !!

A pre-cursor for other male-biased movies such as 'The Hangover' this might be, but that is where the similarity ends; there is no slapstick here and often the 'action' and dialogue is of a quite serious nature despite a foundation in comedy.....

A lot is due to Favreau of course (oh alright, AND Vaughn as well), but with a limited budget and simplistic settings it is the influence of Liman that ensures that it is such a joy to watch. As so much of what occurs is quite low-key and as there is such an emphasis on the dialogue (and it's delivery) this means I am quite able to re-watch this classic male-comedy/drama on a regular basis and never get bored; now with this Blu-ray everything is sorted as it also looks and sounds as good as you could hope.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (DVD + Blu-ray)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (DVD + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Tom Courtney

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bleak, Superbly Portrayed, Tale of Innocence, Guilt and Hidden-Anger, 22 July 2015
I saw this film in the cinema as a teenager some 40 years ago. Whilst it didn't affect me in quite the same way as the similar-era classic 'Kes' (which I also saw around the same time all those years ago), I think that could be put down to this film being a little more 'adult' in nature (it's a '12', Kes is a 'U') so perhaps I didn't understand the often more subtle elements of it that 'Kes'.

It is quite rightly a revered film, but because of the likely more limited age-range 'appeal' due to those adult matters it covers it has undoubtedly, unfairly in my opinion, suffered in the popularity stakes.

This restored Blu-ray/DVD combo is, bizarrely, usually cheaper than what I think are the identical single offerings so is something of a no-brainer; on Blu-ray it looks and sounds as good you could expect for a British production from that era - clean/clear but not ultra sharp with a flat, often slightly, essentially dialogue-driven 'muffled' soundtrack.

The obvious highlight of this film is the presence of Tom Courtenay in the 'title' role - 1962 was his debut-year in filmmaking and this was his second effort; he quite rightly earned a 'Best Newcomer' BAFTA for this part (portraying a young man perhaps some 10 years younger than his own age).

Despite his innocent-looking appearance, his character falls into a life of petty-crime and general misdemeanour which quickly get him into serious trouble....

His background, upbringing and immediate family situation are perhaps contributory factors, but despite the film hinting that is the case it is one of those many subtle elements of the story I alluded to which make it not 100% certain - I think that he could have been an 'angry young man' without those other aspects for all we know....

It is the completely convincing way that Courtenay manages to portray and project those wildly different traits of innocence and anger etc that make the film such an engrossing watch (he is hardly ever off the screen) - you never really know exactly what is going through his mind or what he will do next, a fact which for me allows the ending to be so successful and shocking....

Like 'Kes' (it is perhaps pertinent to observe that TLoftheLDR was made a few years earlier) this film manages to depict the various settings and lifestyles of that time with striking realism - it would be easy to forget it's a film and instead a 'fly on the wall' documentary....

The cast are universally excellent and the sets are often the real thing - for me it's the plot as well as those characterisations which ensure you remain transfixed and left thinking even once the 'climax' occurs, also meaning repeat-viewings are guaranteed.

In comparison to modern films, the classification of '12' (I see that the BBFC also states it can be a '15') for 'moderate violence' is a little baffling but I think appropriate, since if it is followed properly the film's portrayals and overall influence could be significant.

So, if you like your drama heavy but also 'covert' with supreme acting and gritty settings this film is for you and the DVD or Blu-ray will do.

Finally, it's worth mentioning the incredible coincidence that the short story on which this film is based was released in the same year (1959) as the oh-so-similar classic Truffaut (French) film 'Les Quatre Cents Coups' (The 400 Blows) - which naturally I also recommend viewing !

The Fugitive [Blu-ray] [1993] [Region Free]
The Fugitive [Blu-ray] [1993] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars There's An Improved NEWLY-ISSUED All-Region Blu-Ray for this Great Film !, 19 July 2015

I'm sure many will know lots about this fantastic action flick.

*** BUT what you might not know is that you don't have to accept the rather shoddy treatment it got on the initial-issue Blu-ray which is STILL sold in the UK.

It has been re-issued as a '20th Anniversary Edition' with improved AVC MPEG-4 video encoding, a thumping DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack and additional extras.

It is an ALL-Region Blu-ray which although only released in the USA can be bought quite-readily on Amazon; here's the link to it on Amazon :

Fugitive: 20th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import]

I've also attached a photo of the disc box outer so you can see it in all it's glory !

The additional extras are :

1. The Fugitive: Thrill of the Chase" documentary [HD] (28:21)
2. "The Fugitive" 2000 TV pilot [HD] (45:28)

It also has a wider range of subtitles/language soundtrack options :

English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian SDH, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Polish, Russian, Thai, and Turkish

English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Hungarian Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Polish Dolby Digital 5.1
Russian Dolby Digital 5.1
Thai Dolby Digital 5.1

So, wait no more - get that newer Blu-ray to enjoy this movie at it's best and in all likelihood cheaper than the crummy UK Blu-ray !

In The Heat Of The Night [Blu-ray]
In The Heat Of The Night [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sidney Poitier

5.0 out of 5 stars A Ground-Breaking Hot and Steamy Murder-Mystery, Great on Blu-Ray, 19 July 2015
I first saw the multi-Oscar winning 'In The Heat Of The Night' on the TV decades ago as a teenager and was struck, most significantly, by the marvellous acting performances and the bravado of the subject matter.

I got the film on R1/USA DVD quite some time ago (a fairly good rendition) - it's only recently that it's been given the proper treatment on Blu-ray, based on the 40th anniversary DVD edition which was only released in the USA.

Whilst this HD presentation might not be a massive improvement, it does have superior definition and a clear 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (essentially dialogue-based) soundtrack.

If you know nothing of this movie then you can get an idea by reading the Amazon 'Product Description' - BUT if you do it gives away the plot basis, which is a 'secret' of the film and when it is revealed should come as something of a shock....

A very short non-spoiler explanation would be to say that it covers the rampant racist attitudes held (note that I use the present tense !) in the southern states of the USA, covering them with great clarity and in a wide variety of ways - the 'vehicle' to drive the story which allows that to occur is something of a MacGuffin, being a murder 'whodunnit'.

Why is this film ground-breaking ? - not necessarily because it covered those racist attitudes (it was made in the era of the battle for Civil Rights in the USA), but essentially because it showed an African-American 'fighting back' against the resident white/racists (most significantly when he returns a face slap delivered to him by one of those white racists).

So, the film deftly manages to not only deal with those important issues but also keep you engrossed with the drama of that murder investigation. Just as important are the terrific character portrayals by one and all in the cast, most notably the 2 lead actors (Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger) of course.

This is the kind of film that could have existed solely on the stage, since whilst there is an expansive story to tell courtesy of the murder 'plot' it is those character portrayals which are the key element.

In a competitive year, the film still managed to win 5 Oscars: Best Picture, Best Actor (Steiger), Film Editing, Sound and Adapted Screenplay; it's something of a surprise that Poitier wasn't even nominated (especially when you see who was !) BUT it is pertinent to observe that he had already won a Best Actor Oscar 4 years earlier....

On this Blu-ray everything looks excellent and whilst the soundtrack doesn't need the full capability offered by DTS-HD MA it does ensure things are clear and provide the necessary atmospherics for the often 'steamy' settings.

We also get some decent extras, being those ported-over from that 40th anniversary DVD: a multi-crew/cast audio commentary and trailer (which were on the original DVD as well) plus 3 ('new') featurettes.

Even if you already have this film on DVD this Blu-ray is still a worthwhile 'upgrade' as the picture so much sharper.

The Night of the Hunter [Blu-ray]
The Night of the Hunter [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Robert Mitchum

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and VERY Dark, a Classic 50s Horror 'Noir' - Excellent on Blu-Ray, 19 July 2015
I'm not quite sure why I hadn't seen this film before I bought it on this newly-issued Blu-ray a few months ago as it has many of the features I like in a movie.

That it was made some 60 years ago makes it something of a ground-breaking masterpiece, especially as it precedes one of most favourite 'noir' classics from that period, the quite superb 'Touch of Evil' by Orson Welles....

So, whilst I should have seen this film many years ago my tardiness has one benefit - I can 'enjoy' (this is a 'horror' film after all !) it for the first time at it's best, courtesy of this wonderfully produced Blu-ray.

---
Before I forget, this 'Arrow' production has one specific feature I've not seen much of before - the outer paper insert of the case is reversible, so you have a choice of 'covers'.

The inner side has a reproduction of the theatrical-release poster which in some ways doesn't properly hint at what the film is about (perhaps a good thing !), but is certainly more nostalgic and relevant than the 'standard' outer cover.

I've attached photos of the inner/outer so you can see what I'm on about and perhaps increase the purchase temptation....
---

This film was the only one directed by that British stage/screen legend Charles Laughton and it appears that it ruffled so many feathers on release (it bombed and got panned) that it is why he stopped directing - before his untimely death 7 years later; what a travesty.

It's easy to see why at the time this film would have been misunderstood/disliked/shocked - it has little of a pleasant nature in it and concentrates on the 'activities' of a ruthless ex-convict who is mad, psychopathic, murderous and cruel in equal measure. Add in some 'odd' (for the time) cinematography, forays into the almost psychedelic and elements of religious blasphemy and it must have come as no surprise that it was doomed....

As I consider most of the above to be laudable characteristics, the other main aspect of this production which makes it noteworthy is the quite marvellous performance of Robert Mitchum in the lead role of said ex-convict. One often forgets how versatile he was and his turn here must surely have been a pre-cursor for his impressive portrayal of the equally 'nasty' character Max Cady in 'Cape Fear' some 7 years later....

The Amazon 'Product Description' covers the film synopsis and disc features admirably, so I won't repeat them here. The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is obviously not that lively but is very clear and I think it is definitely more 'spatial' in nature, so adding to the atmosphere for your viewing experience. I will definitely watch the copious and tempting disc extras at some point as this film deserves as much coverage as possible.

With the caveat that I've only watched it once, for the period and genre this film for me isn't quite up there with 'Touch of Evil' but it's close - more for the direction techniques of Laughton and performance of Mitchum than the story itself. This Blu-ray also doesn't provide as much on-disc 'coverage' as the recent Blu-ray issue of 'Touch of Evil' does, but what there is seems to be of sufficient quality to support the excellent presentation of the feature itself.

It still gets 5 stars though !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20