Profile for Alex W > Reviews

Content by Alex W

Alex W (Hertfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Miracle-Gro Feeder with All Purpose Plant Food
Miracle-Gro Feeder with All Purpose Plant Food
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rubbish, 10 April 2010
I am unimpressed with this (new) product. As other reviewers have commented, the device leaks concentrated liquid fertiliser constantly, due to what appears to be a poor seal between the tank and the main body of the feeder. It does this irrespective of water pressure and there is no means of improving the seal (the thread on the detachable tank just skips when I try to tighten it up in the socket). The female connector supplier is not compatible with Hozelock or Gardena male connectors either.

The old-style Miracle-Gro feeder was effective and simple. It didn't leak. It wasn't tinny. Why improve something that works successfully, with a product that is 100% style over substance?

OtterBox Commuter Series Two-Layer Protection Case Cover with Screen Protector for BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 31 Mar. 2010
This case is discreet, it fits the device well and it doesn't impede ease of use. The screen protector was easy to fit.

I'm really pleased with it.

A Lifetime In A Race
A Lifetime In A Race
by Matthew Pinsent

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 31 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Lifetime In A Race (Paperback)
I found this a really engaging and entertaining read, as well as interesting on a factual level. Like some of the other reviewers, I'm an oarsman too, but I still believe it's a very accessible book for a non-rower interested in learning more about makes elite athletes tick. It has some laugh-out-loud moments, complemented by some genuinely humbling accounts of the peaks and troughs of top-level competition. The book is a masterclass in understatement at times, and as said by other reviewers, it's oddly lacking in some really crucial detail about Pinsent's career.

On balance, I recommend the book heartily, yet I wish Pinsent would expand this volume.

Braun Series 5 590cc Clean & Renew System Electric Rechargeable Male Foil Shaver
Offered by Thehealthcounter

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless performance, 2 Jan. 2010
I'm mightily impressed with this shaver, having just a 590CC to replace an older Braun 5-series. It gives a very clean finish (including around the neck area), requiring less effort and causing arguably less irritation than its predecessor. I was a little surprised at how large the cleaning/charging pod is, but the benfit of the cleaning function outweighs this minor concern - it really is like using a new shaver each time it's been through the cleaning cycle. The semi-rigid neoprene case is also a significant step up from the rigid ABS cases that other Braun models still feature, in terms of durability.

All in all, I think it's a cracking bit of kit.

The Royal Navy Officer's Pocket-book, 1944
The Royal Navy Officer's Pocket-book, 1944
by Brian Lavery

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and interesting, 1 Jan. 2010
I found this book most engrossing, having read it in conjunction with 'A Seaman's Pocket-book'. I lacked such a concise book on leadership and people-management when I served as a junior officer in the RN. If I was heading off for young officer training at Dartmouth now, this book would be invaluable. It underlines the value of humility, and I particularly liked the observations that leadership and command (of a ship) is a privilege that one should strive to be worthy of.

Call for Fire: Sea Combat in the Falklands and the Gulf War
Call for Fire: Sea Combat in the Falklands and the Gulf War
by Sir Peter de la Billiere

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and humbling, 30 Dec. 2009
I read this book many years ago, before I spent my time before the flag as a Royal Navy officer (sadly I never served with, or met, Chris Craig). I picked up 'Call for Fire' again this month, and found it absolutely gripping. I literally couldn't put it down, to the point where I nearly neglected Christmas altogether. I can only commend the book's honest and darkly humourous depiction of naval life, and as an insight into naval combat from a commanding officer's viewpoint, it's an unparalleled read. For anyone that has served, I hope you too find it strongly evocative and imbued with Craig's noble views on the humbling duties of a CO (you may find that the book serves only as a refresher course in Jackspeak). For anyone considering a commission in the RN, particularly as a warfare officer, this book should be on your reading list.

An English Country Manner
An English Country Manner
by Rory Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 30 Dec. 2009
Unlike the self-aggrandising Mr Ian Walthew (see his 'review' below), I have actually read this book. I'm a land agent by trade, so I understand Rory Clark's perspective.

Clark's three books are all highly amusing, if a little over-romanticised. The three books are all easy reads, and I do find myself picking the novels up periodically to have a chuckle at some of his anecdotes. The author paints a very good picture of the nature of a resident agent's role, and his/her position within the local community and the hierarchy on a large rural estate.

Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
Trust Me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor
by Max Pemberton

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 15 Sept. 2009
Pemberton's book is a cracking read, and I found it compelling, and in places, somewhat humbling. As said below, this book is indeed a damning indictment of the NHS, and I am not wholly convinced about Pemberton's benign and accepting stance on the doctor/nurse divide. However, Pemberton has a flair for light-hearted and amusing writing, and it is certainly less bleak than some of the other books of this specific genre. I'll certainly re-read this book again soon.

Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor
Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor
by Michael Foxton

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, but tediously cynical, 15 Sept. 2009
Foxton's book contains some hugely funny anecdotes, but the majority of his book is tainted with a very left-leaning cynicism about the state of the NHS, and a surly and somewhat spiteful attitude towards nursing staff. It is a thought-provoking book, but it lacks the entertainment value of Max Pemberton's rival tale of life as a junior doctor.

Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story
Direct Red: A Surgeon's Story
by Gabriel Weston

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker, 11 July 2009
I found 'Direct Red' to be a book that was humbling, hilarious and fascinating in equal measure. I enjoyed the book greatly, and wish that it had expanded on Weston's experiences.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4