Profile for M. Harrison > Reviews

Content by M. Harrison

M. Harrison
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
True Things About Me
True Things About Me
by Deborah Kay Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars Ballsy and unique, 16 July 2010
This review is from: True Things About Me (Paperback)
Wonderful - unique, funny, totally compelling. Was drawn in right from the start. The dialogue is fantastic and the structure is deceptively simple. I can't think of anything similar to compare it to; how often can you say that about a book?
I wonder if other reviewers picked it up thinking it was going to be one of those dull faux-brow books about educated, middle-class women who are bored with their lives and then they meet someone and have to make a decision... (*yawn*). It isn't. It's much more visceral, much more unusual and much more interesting. Can't wait to read more from this talented new writer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2011 4:13 PM GMT

Forgetting Zoe
Forgetting Zoe
by Ray Robinson

2.0 out of 5 stars Unrelentingly grim, 3 July 2010
This review is from: Forgetting Zoe (Paperback)
Picking up this book each time became a real chore. It's possible to write about disturbing and dark subjects in a way that still makes for an enjoyable reader experience (cf. The Lovely Bones), but this is a very different book; for me it didn't give enough back for the emotional cost of reading. I didn't find the character of Ingrid convincing at all - she never came to life for me - and the writing was pretty cliched at times: "The lines [on his face] said here is a man who understands life better than you, and laughter and, most probably, love." I mean, come on.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2010 12:15 PM BST

The Whole Wide Beauty
The Whole Wide Beauty
by Emily Woof

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to scratch, 28 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Whole Wide Beauty (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to like this, given the positive reviews, but I'm afraid I really struggled to. So much of its workings are on show: not just the exposition and flashbacks, which in Woof's hands are the literary equivalent of a couple of burly stage-hands dropping scenery in the wings, but when the lead character sees a reflection of herself on page 2 in order that the narrator can describe her [clanggg!] you know you're not going to be taken over by the prose, or for one second forget that you're reading a novel. I'm also not sure how many more books about disaffected middle-class women the world really needs. It's not terrible, but it lacks real writerly creativity and passion; it's writing-group stuff, and had Woof not already been a well-known actress I can't help but wonder if it really would have been published. Sorry.

Nature Got There First
Nature Got There First
by Phil Gates

3.0 out of 5 stars Just misses the mark, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Nature Got There First (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the idea of this, but I do wonder if there's a slight mismatch between the information (key stage 2-3) and the presentation, which is perhaps a little 'childish' for this age group. Also, it feels a little 'homeworky' rather than fun. There are certainly many little boys (AND GIRLS) who will enjoy learning about glycogen granules and beaver's teeth in their spare time, but many kids will feel that kind of thing is boring, and I'm not sure this book does quite enough to get past that.

Explorers: Dinosaurs
Explorers: Dinosaurs
by Dougal Dixon

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Explorers: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great - inspiring without being anthropomorphic, factual without being dull. I gave this to a four-year-old girl, who absolutely loves it.

The Children's Book
The Children's Book
by A S Byatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Bewitching, 31 May 2010
This review is from: The Children's Book (Paperback)
Wonderful. So skilfully does Byatt create a vision of innocence that half-way through the book, when that vision begins to be threatened, I found myself genuinely stressed and upset. The feeling of disturbance was acute, but hard to pin down, like when you wake from a bad dream you can't quite recall. Then I realised that I had fallen in love with the childhood idyll she had created - also an idyll of this country's blinkered past - and was troubled by its loss at some deep and wordless level. What a magician Byatt is, and how lucky we are to have her.

The Kingfisher Football Encyclopedia
The Kingfisher Football Encyclopedia
by Clive Gifford

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for little Stattos!, 28 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great football book for boys. It says 9+ but I'm giving it to a younger boy as he will have adult help with some of it. There are sections on things like racism, which is surprising and commendable. The photography could have been a bit better - some pictures were not high res enough to be used as big as they are - but that's a small point. Lots of history and good information for little football fanatics.

Tony and Susan
Tony and Susan
by Austin M. Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary book, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Tony and Susan (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't normally read thrillers, but this was so much more. A story within a story, both stories were satisfying, in very different ways. What a feat to pull off for the author, and how deftly he handles the two narratives. It will stay with me for a long time.

I Can Draw: Farm
I Can Draw: Farm
by Simon Abbott
Edition: Board book

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but..., 26 April 2010
This review is from: I Can Draw: Farm (Board book)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hmm. I've tried this on several small people, and I'm sorry to report that it just doesn't work for any of them. The illustration you are given to copy comes in four 'stages', but it's very hard to explain to toddlers (at whom this is aimed) that you don't copy the left-hand page faithfully, but make one drawing, adding to it each time. They just wanted to copy the four shapes - as four shapes. I can't help feeling it would have been better with one simple image on the left to copy. Pen could have been better, too.

Peter Kent's A City Across Time
Peter Kent's A City Across Time
by Peter Kent

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was going to give this to my niece, but I'm tempted to keep it myself! It's the kind of beautifully detailed, absorbing book that I used to find absolutely mesmerising as a child, with pictures of what's going on deep under the ground and inside buildings, and lots of little details and humourous touches. I can't think of a more brilliant way for kids to understand the processes of history and archaeology. What a gem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15