Profile for James L. Clark > Reviews

Content by James L. Clark

James L. Clark "angel_dreams" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Alice in Deadland
Alice in Deadland

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Alice in Deadland (Kindle Edition)
One of the most interesting variants on the zombie genre I have came across in a while. Creatively inspired and well written to convey a plausible and creepy story. Alice reminds me of some of the better heroines of the screen and would translate well into a film.

One of the most inspired and intriguing books I have read in a long time.

Makeup for Ageless Beauty
Makeup for Ageless Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and professionally a must, 31 Dec. 2011
Linda Mason is one of my favorite make up artists and this books is a shining example of why. Taking one of the most neglected sectors of the make up market: the 40 plus woman, and writing an insightful and informative book on the subject.

As a make up artist myself I found this an invaluable resource to refer to for make overs, photo shoots and just a general fount of information.

Hero
Hero
by Perry Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a read, 28 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Hero (Hardcover)
Although marked as niche market, this book has broad apeal, the story is well written and thought out and reminds me of Wicked.

Taking the glamour away from the subject of Hero's, this looks at the people behind it, their love lives, fears, hopes and dreams.

Purely and simply escapism I worked through this book so quickly and enjoyed every page.

Makeup: The Art of Beauty
Makeup: The Art of Beauty

3.0 out of 5 stars good for a make up artist, 28 Jun. 2010
Personally I have to agree with the previous two reviews, this book is mildly indulgent on Linda's part and not really suitable for anyone outside of the make up world.

However as a make up artist I do like this book and count it amongst my favourites to pick up and give me some inspiration, the section on your kit, looking at brushes and other items and some of the beauty work is fantastic. A little dated but still worth it for a new artist looking for a make up book to gain some insight.

Cut & Run
Cut & Run
by Madeleine Urban

5.0 out of 5 stars pure escapism, 13 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Cut & Run (Paperback)
This book had a n engaging well thought out story that kept me hooked. Simply for its escapism it was worth the read.

Formulaic it was a worth while purchase, the stroy takes you through a two part journey a each of the characters faces their own personal demons whilst chasing down a kille who has set their sights on them.

Marked
Marked
by Joely Skye

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this, 19 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Marked (Paperback)
This book is purely and simply escapism, I rarely read lgbt novels and picked this for the story, I am a big werewolf fan, and it was nice to see something different.

I reccomend this simply as an escape, not aimed at intellectualism just simply an easy enjoyable read.

Include Me Out: My Life from Goldwyn to Broadway
Include Me Out: My Life from Goldwyn to Broadway
by Farley Granger

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and moving, 12 Nov. 2009
I am an avid follower of Old Hollywood, I love all the stories, the history and this was a fascinating insight into a talented and charismatic actor.

Beautifully written and unrepentently honest, include me out is a fantastic insight into the world of Farley Granger and the stars he met.

Special Makeup Effects for Stage and Screen: Making and Applying Prosthetics
Special Makeup Effects for Stage and Screen: Making and Applying Prosthetics
by Todd Debreceni

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, 12 Nov. 2009
I am not a special effects artist, however I am a make up artist. This book is a fantastic resource of information concerning this specialised area.

With a view to the future, I bought this book to read up on technique and have picked up a serious amount of information that will help me now as I work on smaller scale films and shoots.

Well worth the money excellent for working artists and students alike.

Eye Candy: 50 Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
Eye Candy: 50 Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 11 Nov. 2009
I bought this book and have to admit its not quite waht I thought it was going the be. I like linda masons books and think this was mildly disapointing. Her freestyle work and beauty images are fantastic but the quality here of the make up wasn't really what I thought it would be.

Not a fantastic reference text really but it has its place. Would suit someone in college looking for inspiration or new idea's.

Overall its ok, I can see me using this as a refernce for teaching but not much else.

Sal Mineo: His Life, Murder, and Mystery
Sal Mineo: His Life, Murder, and Mystery
by H. Paul Jeffer

5.0 out of 5 stars a forgotten legend, 18 Jan. 2009
I am a huge fan of old hollywood and Sal mineo is one of the stars I was curious over, his story is a mixture of the sad cliche of being gay in a time when it was hidden for the sake of the fans, lonelyness and ultimately a deat that was to young and unnessecarry.

A fascinating insight into the life of a star.

Page: 1 | 2