Profile for R. N. Phillips > Reviews

Content by R. N. Phillips

R. N. Phillips "Storm Bird" (UK)

Iiyama Prolite XB2779QS LCD Monitor
Iiyama Prolite XB2779QS LCD Monitor
Offered by Ballicom International

4.0 out of 5 stars You will either love it or hate it, 14 Jun. 2014
My six year old 20" NEC 20WGX2Pro made me a fan of glossy screen monitors and I am quite happy to trade reflectivity for brilliant vibrant colours. A few years ago I traded up to a Hazro 27" 2560 x 1440 glossy screen which had a nice image but poor build quality and eventually some dust got trapped under the glass so I sold on to a less demanding family member. I tried the 27" Asus PB278Q (semi-gloss) which was good quality but I sent it back because it is nothing like a glossy screen; semi-defused would be a more accurate description. The Iiyama XB2779QS interested me but quite a few owners have complained about back light bleeding which put me off, but as nothing else on the market appealed eventually I took the plunge.

The good points:
It is a stylish looking monitor and the price is pretty good now at £380.
The stand is excellent but it is not possible to rotate the monitor into portrait mode on the fly.
It has a flat glass front so dead easy to run a duster over it
The glass front is bonded to the panel (it's called plasma deposition for some reason) which means trapped dust is never going to be an issue.
It is less reflective than a normal non bonded glossy screen which can have internal reflections.
The image is fantastically sharp and the colours vibrant.
It has wide viewing angles and IPS glow is not intrusive with brightness set to 24.
The plasma deposition process results in blacks that are pretty good although not quite as good as my old Hazro glossy screen.

The bad:
It does suffer with back-light bleeding. This is tamed somewhat by reducing brightness to sensible levels. I am willing to put up with it as I don't particularly notice it playing games or with windows applications. I might feel differently if I watched wide-screen films regularly though.
I'm not entirely convinced by screen brightness uniformity. I slightly notice it on solid white background such as a word document for instance.
The monitor is way too bright out of the box and I have dialled down brightness to 24 and contrast to 54 and I like a bright screen! Some may find a setting of 0 is still too bright and contrast above 58 causes clipping.

The monitor is a keeper for me as the build quality is excellent and the two issues back-light bleeding and screen brightness uniformity is not something that I particularly notice day to day in the way I use it. I have yet to find a perfect monitor, the NEC was close but unfortunately it was a 1680x1050 resolution. The Iiyama XB2779QS will do me for the time being until Windows (scaling)and graphics cards (performance) are ready for 3840x2160 monitors.

HDGear PureLink HDG-HC01-020 Super Slim High Speed HDMI Cable with Gold-Plated Plug Connectors HDMI A to HDMI A 2 m

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with an excellent price., 6 Dec. 2013
I needed to upgrade my HDMI cables to High Speed 1.4 to watch Blu Ray 3D through my new Sony TV. This cable with smaller connectors and slim cable width hide away brilliantly at a great price. Digital cables by nature either work or don't work and these work. The connectors are good quality and with no downside I can't think of a reason to get chunky cables any more.

Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp and Beamforming Microphone

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware excellent, control panel software problems with x16 PCI express slots, 26 Oct. 2013
The sound card is working well and sounds great. However the Sound Blaster Z-Series control panel software takes an age to start up, literally minutes. It works OK once it has started up although it takes a devil of a time to switch to the CrystalVoice, Cinematic or Mixer tabs, again minutes.

I have discovered that if the Sound Blaster Z is connected to a x16 or x8 PCI express slot there are issues with the software initialising as described above. On my motherboard these slots are connected to the X58 IOH northbridge chip. The Sound Blaster Z ideally should be connected to a x1 PCI express slot which on an X58 motherboard would be connected to the ICH10/ICH10R southbridge chip.

My advice is check your motherboard and make sure you have an available x1 PCI express slot (I don't). The hardware does work with x16 and x8 PCI express slots but you would not want to be going into the software regularly! I posted about this problem on the official Creative - Product Board - Sound Blasters forum and asked for technical help and no response at all after four weeks which is not indicative of good customer service.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 11:47 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Citizen Gents Eco Drive Watch BM8450-94B, 18 Aug. 2009
Purchased as a backup watch as my main watch is in for service. Tag-Heuer take about six weeks to service a watch! The Eco Drive seems a good idea as it does not need a battery or winding so can just be grabbed and used at long intervals. Watch is very light and glass has a slight mesh look at certain angles. Very clear clean display, unfortunately I have already scratched it which shows up as a thin shadow on the dial at certain angles. On my wrist the expanding bracelet pinches slightly but at the same time does not hold watch in position very well, so watch often rotates out of position on wrist. The crown is flimsy and does not screw down, so I have doubts about how water resistant the watch really is.

Probably would not have purchased if I had handled the watch in a jewellers first.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 9:31 AM BST

Rage Hard:The Sonic Collection
Rage Hard:The Sonic Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars SACD MultiC not great / SACD 2C OK / Normal CD Best, 23 Jun. 2006
I recently purchased this SACD version. Playing in SACD Multi Channel mode, for me this is really lacking base and the mix is poor. It is the least accomplished of 20+ SACD's I have. Playing in SACD two channel is better but still not great. Playing it as a normal CD retores the same vitality and great baseline to that of the vinyl (which I also own).

It certainly seems that this album is a different experience for different listeners. Not sure what the base issue is but my other SACD's don't have this problem. The SACD Multi Channel mix is a personal opinion but I find it very disappointing on several tracks.

Still a good purchase at the price though as it works fine as a normal CD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2008 8:18 PM GMT