Profile for Val Smith > Reviews

Val Smith

75 All-Time Classic Songs. Sheet Music for Piano, Vocal & Guitar
75 All-Time Classic Songs. Sheet Music for Piano, Vocal & Guitar

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic pleasure, 22 Sep 2013
I have recently started singing "for fun and exercise". This album is excellent for its range of age and type of song - apart from the very recent, which would perhaps not meet the definition "classic", there are few areas of music in the lighter vein that are not covered. If you want to bathe (surely not wallow) in nostalgia, this is well worth trying. My only problem, so far, is that, not being spiral bound, it is inclined to shut itself. That may resolve with time and use - don't let it put you off!

Basher Science: The Periodic Table
Basher Science: The Periodic Table
by Basher

5.0 out of 5 stars Basher science : The periodic table, 7 April 2013
I blame the quiz show "Pointless" for my purchase of this. I know very little science at all and my formal chemistry knowledge ceased when I was 13 - though I know a little from gardening and avoiding pesticides. I didn't even know what the periodic table was and the idea of elements like Vanadium seemed someone's idea of a joke - I thought Vanadis was a Nordic goddess. So I needed a straightforward, well set out, simple text which would tell me what was what and what did what. This book supplies it - and so much more. I really like the illustrations, it is well set out and the poster at the end is a bonus. Perhaps my having been a Children's Librarian helps with the recognition that many children's books provide an excellent foundation for more. I can't see it through a child's eyes but I don't think this is a children's book. It is for anyone who just wants to know!

Basher Science: Astronomy
Basher Science: Astronomy
by Dan Green
Price: 7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Basher science: astronomy, 7 April 2013
I bought this book for my own use as my science knowledge is almost non-existent. As an "arts" person, I studiously avoided all science except animals and plants. My physics education ceased when I was 13 (my arts full time education ceased when I was 22) but Patrick Moore and then Chris Lintot brought me worlds I wanted to know more about so a (fairly) basic book was needed and I think this has supplied it. The text and the illustrations are memorable and you don't have to be a child to get caught up in the excitement of it.. It may not last too long as I keep going back to it.