Profile for Anna Debenham > Reviews

Content by Anna Debenham

Anna Debenham

Undercover User Experience Design (Voices That Matter)
Undercover User Experience Design (Voices That Matter)
by Cennydd Bowles

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for user experience designers, 22 Oct 2010
I was initially a little sceptical about how much I'd get out of this book because I'm a front end developer in a small design agency where everyone understands the value of good UX.

However, James and Cennydd also cater for people who don't consider it a significant part of what they do. At the end of the day, UX is relevant to everyone, including developers like me who will write microcopy or make design decisions if visuals haven't been provided.

The chapter on generating ideas has been useful for communicating concepts in meetings with clients, as has the section on deliverables including wireframes, sitemaps and prototypes.

My favourite bit was a section on the "Validation Stack" which explains how to defend decisions using user evidence, then user research, and as a last resort design theory. "If your recommendation isn't supported by user evidence, research, or theoretical principles, throw it away. You've lost this one."
There are often times when I have to justify my decisions to clients, and I now run through the validation stack in my head whenever I have to do this.

The writing style is approachable and friendly, and it's also the perfect size and weight to read on a tedious commute.