Profile for Mrs. K. O'brien > Reviews

Content by Mrs. K. O'brien

Mrs. K. O'brien "mrsbob" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Blackheath Seance Parlour
The Blackheath Seance Parlour
Price: 3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Addictive!, 22 May 2014
Brilliant! Loved it! Fantastic! Shall I stop raving yet and review? I think I should.

I purchased The Blackheath Seance Parlour after initially linking up with author Alan Williams on Twitter. The novel is split into two; one story following the lives of Maggie and Judy Cloak and the other following the lives of a count and countess who are, shall we say, a little different from the rest of the human race. Initially Maggie and Judy are in the depths of despair; penniless and borderline alcoholic spinsters.They are following in the footsteps of ancestors by running a chocolate shop in Blackheath. However the business is failing and they are practically desolate. Then Judy comes up with the idea of transforming their store into a Seance Parlour. Enter medium Mrs Walters and so the adventures begin.

As the novel progresses we discover that the count and countess are products of a book written by Judy who holds dreams of publication. Whether or not she is successful, I will leave you to find out. However I will say that I felt that this subplot worked well and did not detract from the main storyline.

I am intrigued by stories of the dark arts and this is what led me to read BSP. The descriptions of Maggie as she battles with her lack of ability then subsequently her extreme powers and personal demons, are so believable. The novel is set in an era where the public were obsessed with contacting spirits and it demonstrates the great lengths performers would go to fulfil this. The final chapters leave you feeling both a sense of happiness and a sense of sorrow, but the ending is somewhat fitting for all characters.

I have already asked Alan Williams if there is another book on the pipeline and he assures me that he is "nearly there". I, for one,cannot wait to purchase a copy. Whether or not that involves the Cloak sisters is not known, but there is plenty scope for development of their storylines, so I hope we have not seen the last of them. Great novel!

HP 301 Combo Pack Cartridges -Black/Tri Colour
HP 301 Combo Pack Cartridges -Black/Tri Colour
Price: 16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 10 April 2014
Bought these cartridges as they were for sale at a good price. Product as described and arrived quickly. Would recommend and will buy the same again once these run out.

OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good when you get a grip!, 10 April 2014
I bought this product as I make a lot of salads and wanted to be able to thinly slice items such as fennel and onion. The item is as described and came nicely packaged.

The product is easy to grip and the blade settings are easy to adjust. Beware though as they are extremely sharp. It comes with a "gripper" which is supposed to grip onto the vegetables whilst you run them over the sharp blades. I cannot get to grips with this at all. It doesn't appear to hold any vegetables. I have tried beetroot, carrot, potato, amongst others,but the gripper has not been able to hold any of them in place. I have ended up putting on some heavy duty protective kitchen gloves and holding them.

I would recommend this product if you do not mind holding the food the old fashioned way. If however you would prefer to have a gripper which works, then I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Offered by everyCasa Europe
Price: 10.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Cocolicious!!, 10 April 2014
I bought this product because I was looking for a healthy alternative to olive oil. The product was as described and arrived within specified timescales. The oil itself is great to cook with, but store in a cool cupboard, not the fridge, otherwise it becomes solid and difficult to spoon out. The label advises the temperature at which the oil will begin to liquefy and so you know where is best to store it. The item is quite pricey but not excessive and what I would expect to pay anyway.

I would recommend this seller to anyone and will be placing a repeat order once I run out. Great service!

Mermaid Stainless Steel Food Ring Mate and 4 Food Rings
Mermaid Stainless Steel Food Ring Mate and 4 Food Rings
Price: 12.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterchef time!, 10 April 2014
I have beeb looking so some good quality food rings for some time and have finally found them. Pack of four is more than enough for my needs. They are great quality and wash well. Pack comes with a small "masher" which helps to compact the food down so it binds together better. So far, I have used them for serving cous cous, rice and cheesecakes and they have worked well for all.

The items arrived on time and were packed well. They were as described and were a good price. I am a very happy customer and would recommend this product.

Organic Carob Powder 500g
Organic Carob Powder 500g

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeds all!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Organic Carob Powder 500g (Misc.)
I bought this product as I make homemade dog biscuits. It is ideal for "chocolate" flavour as dogs can't have the real thing. I have since used it in human foods, making raw chocolate mousse. The powder worked well for all recipes. It arrived in time and was as described. Price was also good.

There is a lot of powder in the bag and will keep me going for some time. When It eventually runs out I will reorder from the same company again,

Biona Organic Cider Vinegar 500ml
Biona Organic Cider Vinegar 500ml
Offered by Perfect Groceries
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 10 April 2014
I was looking to buy some healthy, tasty vinegar and so ordered Biona Organic cider vinegar. The product arrived on time and was as described. Price was average. The vinegar adds a lovely flavour to my salad dressings and I am pleased with my purchase. I would not hesitate in buying from this company again.

Apple Tree Yard
Apple Tree Yard
Price: 3.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick of the crop!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Apple Tree Yard (Kindle Edition)
I didn't quite know what to expect when I first began reading Apple Tree Yard. Ostensibly it appears to be the old tale of happily married woman embarking on an affair and therefore not really a novel which I would enjoy. Yet something made me read on and I am so glad I did as the story turned out to be much more.

Yvonne Carmichael is the woman in question. She is a professional who embarks on an affair with a man whom she meets randomly one day. Little does she know just how dangerous her liaison will turn out to be and how it would impact on those closest to her.

My feelings towards Yvonne chopped and changed so often during the read. One minute I felt dislike for her and the next I felt sympathy and pity. Then it was back to dislike again. At no point did I feel as if I knew where this story was going to end. This is down to Louise Doughty's ability to weave a complex story and mislead the reader, which takes great skill.

Ultimately Apple Tree Yard does finish and I was left contemplating the ending for some time afterwards. Does it leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling inside, as so many of these "affair"novels do? No. It leaves you feeling uneasy, unsettled and with a bitter taste in your mouth. But what a finale!

So please do not be put off by the "romance" theme as I so nearly was. Otherwise you will be missing out on a pure gem. Take the plunge and enjoy. You will not be disappointed.

Kilmoon: A County Clare Mystery
Kilmoon: A County Clare Mystery
Price: 2.46

5.0 out of 5 stars An Irish Corker!, 10 April 2014
'Kilmoon' is a delighful tale from debut author Lisa Alber. It is set in beautiful Ireland, during the matchmaking festival in county Clare.

Our heroine is Merrit Chase, an American whose mother and stepfather have died. Following their deaths, Merrit finds out that her natural father is actually the "matchmaker" king Liam. She then sets off for Ireland in order to trace her roots. Her travels take her to the small village of Lisfenora where she discovers all manner of revellers, cadgers and con men. Merrit is only there for a short time when a murder occurs. She has made such an impact with her sudden arrival. How is she involved?

The novel is clever, suspenseful and complex with plenty of colourful characters to keep the reader interested.There are plenty of twists and turns before the killer or killers is eventually revealed. One cannot help but feel empathy for Merrit as she struggles to deal with both her past and her future. I have to make special reference to the relationship Alber builds between Merrit and local vagabond Marcus Tully. You can feel the strength both characters glean from each other whilst they struggle with their individual issues. It is clear that they both rely on each other for support and although Marcus feigns annoyance at times, the reader knows that this is a friendship which will last a lifetime.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and sincerely hope that this will not be the last we hear of the residents of Lisfenora. There is certainly plenty of scope for character development and I hope that Lisa utilises this. Bring us more please!

If you haven't read this book yet, then please do. It's great value for money and perhaps then, the luck of the Irish might rub off on you!

Finn
Finn
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A new hero in our midst!, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Finn (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after discovering Lynne O'Reilly on Twitter. I am always on the lookout for new authors and since she seems a delightful lady, I thought I would give it a try.

As the title suggests, Finn Paterson is the hero of the story. An ex Marine come author, he discovers that his wife is being held captive by a crazy man after she fails to return home from work one day. It transpires that she has innocently become involved in a kidnap and blackmail attempt on her boss Henry Edwards.

Meanwhile Molly MacKenzie aged ten years is missing. DS Chandler is the officer in charge and a poem in the morning paper along with a strange parcel seem to hold the key to the mystery.

On hearing his wife's predicament, Finn takes it upon himself to head to Edinburgh to rescue her. He soon finds that the two matters seem to be connected. Will he be able to save the day?

For a first novel, Lynne has written well. The story is easy to follow and there is enough going on to keep the reader interested.

Finn is a likeable character and we see examples of both his tough "marine" exterior and his softer "family man" side. He does appear to sustain a lot of injuries throughout his adventure and I felt as though I had to suspend belief slightly at one point. Any regular person in his situation would have been crumpled in a heap but Finn just seemed to go on and on. I guess that's the joys of fiction writing though. I did not warm to FInn's wife so much. I felt she was a little selfish and self obsessed and was annoyed to see that she was rewarded at the conclusion of the novel (I won't say how as I don't want to spoil it for other readers).

I have awarded this book four stars as I enjoyed the story. It failed to get five stars as there were a couple of areas which were rather irritating. The first was the proofreading. It was really poor and I would urge Lynne to change the proofreader for her next novel. The standard really does impact on a reader's enjoyment of a book and on this occasion, I spotted numerous mistakes throughout and I am not a professional. I felt it let the story down.

Secondly I purchased the book on Kindle and found the formatting to be really poor. I don't know who was responsible for it but I would urge Lynne to look at this for her second book. Again it affected my enjoyment of the story.

Lastly a small criticism, but I found some of the conversations between the characters a little too staid. It just didn't feel natural or flow for me. But I am sure this will improve as the writer gains experience.

In conclusion, this was one of these books where things were irritating me, but I felt I had to read on and find out how it all ended. To me, if I don't want to give up halfway through, then the book must be okay. Will I be back for more of Finn in the future? I don't think I could stay away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3