Profile for Mrs. K. O'brien > Reviews

Content by Mrs. K. O'brien

Mrs. K. O'brien "mrsbob" (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Maxitone Sculptress Diet 700 g Chocolate Weight Loss System Shake Powder
Maxitone Sculptress Diet 700 g Chocolate Weight Loss System Shake Powder

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty supplement, 29 Sep 2014
Superb product which acts as a meal or snack replacement. Fills me up when I have been to the gym/pool and boosts energy when needed. Easy to prepare, just add water. I try to leave mine to sit for five or ten minutes after preparation as it mixes better and tastes nicer.

I have tried both banana and chocolate flavours and prefer the banana personally. Have used this for a four months now, combined with regular exercise and have lost 10kg. Highly recommended.

Kong Senior Dog Toy,, Large
Kong Senior Dog Toy,, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars King of the Kongs, 29 Sep 2014
What a great buy! Pups love it. It is robust, so can take any amount of tugging between dogs. It is heavy, but not too much that the dogs cannot pick it up. Most dog biscuits will fit in the hole and so the dogs enjoy working out how to release it.

I bought a large one for my Labrador and a small one for my Cairn Terrier. Needless to say they have swapped, each preferring one another's. Thankfully it is suitable for both. Would recommend as a fine toy for any dog owner.

Thin Air: (Shetland book 6)
Thin Air: (Shetland book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!!, 29 Sep 2014
My favourite modern day detective Jimmy Perez is back and on form in this, the sixth novel in the Shetland series.

Following the death of his partner Fran, glimpses of the old Jimmy are reappearing as he, Sandy and new sidekick Willow Reeves investigate the murders of a "soothmoother" visiting the islands for the hamefarin of a local couple. Added to the mix is the ghost of Peerie Lizzie who died in the waters as a child. What is going on?

I won't spoil the book for readers who have not yet sampled it's delights, but suffice to say that this series just gets better and better. Ann Cleeves never fails to spin a yarn which leads you down one path, only to whip you around at the last minute and take you off in a competely different direction. And just when you think you have the plot sussed out!

The book does stand alone but the series is more enjoyable when read in order as there are regular references to the character's personal lives, a theme which runs throughout. Therefore to get the best experience from them, I would recommend readers begin with Raven Black.

I started and finished this book in 24 hours, that's how addictive I found it. The hubby was starving, the dogs looking forlornly at their leads, but I just couldn't put it down and get on with anything else. When I finish these books I always feel like my friends have gone away after a visit. I cannot wait for them to return in book 7!

The Last Witness
The Last Witness

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Read!!!, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Last Witness (Kindle Edition)
I spent the first twenty years of my life living in Campbeltown and was intrigued to see that Denzil had penned a crime series set in the area. I must admit I bought the book purely out of curiosity, to see what imaginary tales could be created from this wonderful part of Scotland and by the time I had finished the first two chapters, I was hooked.

The story begins in Australia and at first you wonder how this could possibly link to Kinloch (Kintyre). However as the story unravels all becomes clear.

DI Daley and DS Scott are called to investigate James Machie, a notorious criminal who is believed to have risen from the dead to avenge all those who betrayed him. Former gang members have been murdered in Australia and another is living under witness protection right here in Kinloch. Is he next on the list? It is up to the police pair to uncover the mysterious goings on.

This second book in the Kinloch series gives us a greater insight into the characters. We learn more about the personal life of Daley and surprisingly all is not as it seems there. Scott comes more to the forefront and we shouldn't forget "the boss" who is not as squeaky clean as the reader might have hoped. I, for one, cannot wait to find out Daley's reaction when he learns his superior is on the wrong side of the law. I just hope he doesn't find out too soon. I like the fact that the reader is aware of facts that the characters have yet to find out.

I have read the mixed reviews for the author writing in the venacular and I can understand how difficult this could be for some readers who are not familiar with Scottish dialect. Campbeltonians have their own language and it is notoriously difficult for "outsiders" to understand and therefore the fact that Denzil has chosen to write in this style makes the story all the more believable for me. It brings a smile to my face when I read phrases such as "away an boil yer heed"

Add to the above the lovely descriptions of the local area and surroundings and you have a well rounded and thoroughly enjoyable novel which I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone. I understand that book three will be released next year and for me, I cannot wait!

The Blackheath Seance Parlour
The Blackheath Seance Parlour

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Addictive!, 22 May 2014
Brilliant! Loved it! Fantastic! Shall I stop raving yet and review? I think I should.

I purchased The Blackheath Seance Parlour after initially linking up with author Alan Williams on Twitter. The novel is split into two; one story following the lives of Maggie and Judy Cloak and the other following the lives of a count and countess who are, shall we say, a little different from the rest of the human race. Initially Maggie and Judy are in the depths of despair; penniless and borderline alcoholic spinsters.They are following in the footsteps of ancestors by running a chocolate shop in Blackheath. However the business is failing and they are practically desolate. Then Judy comes up with the idea of transforming their store into a Seance Parlour. Enter medium Mrs Walters and so the adventures begin.

As the novel progresses we discover that the count and countess are products of a book written by Judy who holds dreams of publication. Whether or not she is successful, I will leave you to find out. However I will say that I felt that this subplot worked well and did not detract from the main storyline.

I am intrigued by stories of the dark arts and this is what led me to read BSP. The descriptions of Maggie as she battles with her lack of ability then subsequently her extreme powers and personal demons, are so believable. The novel is set in an era where the public were obsessed with contacting spirits and it demonstrates the great lengths performers would go to fulfil this. The final chapters leave you feeling both a sense of happiness and a sense of sorrow, but the ending is somewhat fitting for all characters.

I have already asked Alan Williams if there is another book on the pipeline and he assures me that he is "nearly there". I, for one,cannot wait to purchase a copy. Whether or not that involves the Cloak sisters is not known, but there is plenty scope for development of their storylines, so I hope we have not seen the last of them. Great novel!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 10 April 2014
Bought these cartridges as they were for sale at a good price. Product as described and arrived quickly. Would recommend and will buy the same again once these run out.

OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer
OXO Good Grips Hand Held Mandoline Slicer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good when you get a grip!, 10 April 2014
I bought this product as I make a lot of salads and wanted to be able to thinly slice items such as fennel and onion. The item is as described and came nicely packaged.

The product is easy to grip and the blade settings are easy to adjust. Beware though as they are extremely sharp. It comes with a "gripper" which is supposed to grip onto the vegetables whilst you run them over the sharp blades. I cannot get to grips with this at all. It doesn't appear to hold any vegetables. I have tried beetroot, carrot, potato, amongst others,but the gripper has not been able to hold any of them in place. I have ended up putting on some heavy duty protective kitchen gloves and holding them.

I would recommend this product if you do not mind holding the food the old fashioned way. If however you would prefer to have a gripper which works, then I would advise you to look elsewhere.

Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Coconoil - Organic Virgin Coconut Oil - 460g
Offered by Bentley's Bargain Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Cocolicious!!, 10 April 2014
I bought this product because I was looking for a healthy alternative to olive oil. The product was as described and arrived within specified timescales. The oil itself is great to cook with, but store in a cool cupboard, not the fridge, otherwise it becomes solid and difficult to spoon out. The label advises the temperature at which the oil will begin to liquefy and so you know where is best to store it. The item is quite pricey but not excessive and what I would expect to pay anyway.

I would recommend this seller to anyone and will be placing a repeat order once I run out. Great service!

Mermaid Stainless Steel Food Ring Mate and 4 Food Rings
Mermaid Stainless Steel Food Ring Mate and 4 Food Rings
Offered by Harts Of Stur

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterchef time!, 10 April 2014
I have beeb looking so some good quality food rings for some time and have finally found them. Pack of four is more than enough for my needs. They are great quality and wash well. Pack comes with a small "masher" which helps to compact the food down so it binds together better. So far, I have used them for serving cous cous, rice and cheesecakes and they have worked well for all.

The items arrived on time and were packed well. They were as described and were a good price. I am a very happy customer and would recommend this product.

Organic Carob Powder 500g
Organic Carob Powder 500g
Offered by Buy Whole Foods Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeds all!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Organic Carob Powder 500g (Misc.)
I bought this product as I make homemade dog biscuits. It is ideal for "chocolate" flavour as dogs can't have the real thing. I have since used it in human foods, making raw chocolate mousse. The powder worked well for all recipes. It arrived in time and was as described. Price was also good.

There is a lot of powder in the bag and will keep me going for some time. When It eventually runs out I will reorder from the same company again,

Page: 1 | 2 | 3