Profile for Travers > Reviews

Content by Travers

Travers "Gill" (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2
50 LITRE DUSTBIN WITH CLIP ON LID
50 LITRE DUSTBIN WITH CLIP ON LID
Offered by Keto Plastics Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap & flimsy, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: 50 LITRE DUSTBIN WITH CLIP ON LID
Bought this to replace a very similar design bin which has done good service for 30 odd years until the lid went missing. The replacement bin is made of very thin plastic, the lid is wobbly as the plastic bends very easily. I'm keeping the bin indoors as I think it will take the wildlife a day or two at most to munch their way in. This is a very small bin, I thought it would be bigger, my mistake. I would only recommend this as an indoor storage bin not a dustbin out in all weather defending my rubbish against foxes,squirrels and other vermin. I notice that other Keto bins are advertised as made in the UK, this one is made in Turkey - is it an inferior product?

Make Money from Your Writing
Make Money from Your Writing
by Bridget Whelan

1.0 out of 5 stars A VERY small book!!!, 7 Sep 2012
A VERY small book,somehow I had expected something larger, although I have to say the book size was listed in the description. This is the sort of little book that one finds fixed to a magazine cover as a free gift. It has some useful info but not enough to justify the cover price, there are mentions of those who became sucessful, the different types of writing are briefly described. I would have prefered a lot more info on contact details. Pretty much a waste of money.

Swissgear GA-7488-14F00 Saturn 17 Inch Laptop/Notebook Messenger Bag
Swissgear GA-7488-14F00 Saturn 17 Inch Laptop/Notebook Messenger Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Bag but very Heavy, 31 July 2012
This bag looks very smart, a cut above the rest, very well padded. I bought this for a 17" laptop, fits easily into the bag but a slight complaint is that my nice glossy black laptop got scratched by the bag zip. Huge amount of storage space, not only fits paperwork but also things like graphics tablets, cables and other media devices. I do like the front zip section, things can be located without having to open the whole bag. The top strap has a very substantial cable reinforcement, it oozes quality, buy the bag then have a look at the others on the market, they all feel cheap by comparision, shame about the weight.

Rhubarb Renaissance (The Northern Plate)
Rhubarb Renaissance (The Northern Plate)
by Kim Ode

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcoming Rhubarb Terror!, 27 May 2012
Like many people, the barest mention of rhubarb struck terror into my very soul, sharp acidic and, dare I say it, a tad boring. This book is full of good starting points, well written, not overlong and full of family rhubarb stories. I bought this book because of an ancient rhubarb plant that grows triffid-like in my garden despite being ignored, an old variety which does cook well if sharp tasting. A trip to the supermarket revealed a shocking discovery - people actually paid money for the stuff - lots of money - over the years i must have run the lawnmower over a fortune! I bought this book to find savoury recipes and something - anything - rather than stewed rhubarb. I haven't tried the recipes but have pretty much read the book from cover to cover, it looks good, freezing some, some turned into rhubard wine but really like the look of the savoury meals. Not a big book but very pleasant and readable.

Joy of Cooking
Joy of Cooking
by Irma Starkhoff Rombauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime book, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Joy of Cooking (Hardcover)
My first copy of Joy was the 1984 34th edition of the 1975 book sent by an American friend along with a set of cup measures, I enjoyed it from the moment I opened the cover as a good read, I loved the recipes, I preserved the book by putting a plastic cover over the dust jacket, I put the book too near the hob and found that plastic covers are not a good idea near heat. I loved the book (still do), I felt that i wanted something updated and bought the 75th anniversary edition. It is a different book, just as good and now sits on the bookshelf next to its older sibling, they are both valid in their own ways.

My only quible was with the drawing of the squirrel in the game recipe section, it was a bit of a shock when i first saw it in the earlier edition then it became a friend flipping through the book there would be Nutkin having his jumper pulled off. The later edition has a more sophisticated version of the same drawing somehow it isn't the same friendly little fellow, I don't know about the quality of the recipe which goes with it - i'm a veggie. I do think the selection of recipes for veggies has improved a great deal, the earlier book will always be a good friend from a time when the world was a lot simpler but I do think the later book is better in most ways, the old favourites are still there but I am trying more of the new recipes. Can't wait for the version in 20 years time.

Stadtplan Königsberg 1931 / Kaliningrad heute 1 : 10 000: Vergleichbare Darstellung. Überlagerungsplan von 1931 und heute. Russische Straßennamen in ... Russisch-Deutsch und Deutsch-Russisch
by Dirk Bloch
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 15 Dec 2011
Bought this a a present for a friend interested in Konigsberg history, a good plan to acompany the books about the history of Konigsburg and to work out where everything was. I would recommend it if you are working through a bit of family history with someone who was there, very clear and concise.

America's Founding Food: The Story of New England Cooking
America's Founding Food: The Story of New England Cooking
by Keith Stavely

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure bout this book, 15 Dec 2011
I give the book 4 stars because of the amount of research which obviously went into it, loaded with facts and figures but it lost me after a while. I had imagined a few (or more) clear recipes, they are there in the text but it does take a bit of digging. I love reading cooking/foodie books and also history books but somehow this just didn't catch my imagination the way i thought it would. I liked the book but I don't put it in amongst my favourite reads. Maybe it appeals more to the American taste rather than a european audience.

The joy of cooking: A compilation of reliable recipes with an occasional culinary chat
by Irma von Starkloff Rombauer
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Foodie bible, 15 Dec 2011
I love the new editions of Joy of Cooking, thought it would be interesting to see what the older books were like, I was certainly not disappointed. Got my Christmas cake icing from this book, so simple, why have I never thought of adding lemon zest? The 1948 recipes were from an earlier era where rationing was still in place, the recipes have a simple quality to them, it was interesting to see which ones havn't survived to the later editions. It was well worth purchasing, it stands well next to its yourger siblings

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious--And Perplexing--City
by David Lebovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sweet Life - and funny too!, 15 Dec 2011
I hadn't heard of the author until I found a recipe crediting him and leading me to this book, and what a joy it was to read. The cover says it all - to be read with a cup of coffee and cake for sure, preferably to be read while slouched in a low arm chair (the one that has been sat on so much that the bottom needs rewebbing)on a lazy sunday morning. I shared David's life, identifying with some things and identifying the situations. I love this guy, he knows how to laugh at himself in a good way, I like the opinions given, I like the look of the recipes, a good read when you need to be cheered up. The book is one of those that you hurry to finish and then feel a sense of loss when it is finished. What more could a foodie reader want - another book by David Lebovitz!!!!!!!!!!!

Things The Grandchildren Should Know
Things The Grandchildren Should Know
by Mark Oliver Everett

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the Soul, 3 Jan 2011
There is something about this book, other reviewers say it makes you laugh and cry at the same time, very true, it is almost a recognition of certain traits that many of us have. Thankfully most of us do not have to face all the horrors that have faced Mark but those of us who have had our own truamas can laugh to know that we are not alone, it is almost like finding a kindred spirit. Like many others I read the book without knowing the music, I first heard of Mark when a documentary appeared on television,there was something different, very compelling viewing. This is a book everyone should read, it shows how much tenacity one person can have, by the end of the book I felt that the author was a friend who had been recounting his life in a matter of fact way, it made the actual story more meaningful. It isn't often that I would say that a book has improved my outlook on life but I would say this has given me a different viewpoint on many things, I think it puts many things into perspective. The appeal of this book is the openess of the author.

Page: 1 | 2