Profile for Sarah G > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 2: The Odd Pet and Other Stories
Oxford Reading Tree Songbirds: Level 2: The Odd Pet and Other Stories
by Julia Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Reception age children to read by themselves, 10 July 2014
Good stories for Reception age children to read by themselves. It is a challenge to make stories interesting when only very short simple words can be used, but Julia Donaldson's are the best I have seen for my 5 year old to read by himself.

Spider School (Early Reader)
Spider School (Early Reader)
by Francesca Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for children who have just started school, 10 July 2014
My 5 year old loves this story and it is good to encourage him to read a real book by himself. Would definitely wait until your child starts school before reading them this, so as not to scare them into thinking they will be taught by a gorilla!

Orchard Toys Giant Road Jigsaw
Orchard Toys Giant Road Jigsaw

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it more than my son did!, 5 Mar. 2014
I bought this for my nearly 3 year old who adores jigsaw puzzles. Whereas I think it's fantastic, a really clever toy, I found my son was not really interested. I think part of this is based on expectations of how to play with it. An older age can challenge themselves to find lots of different combinations using all the pieces (my 7 year old nephew was obsessed with it when he visited one day) but for a 3 year old all they want to do is put pieces together, so a traditional jigsaw that makes a large picture would be better.

CASDON Little Shopper Fruit and Vegetable Basket
CASDON Little Shopper Fruit and Vegetable Basket

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice while it lasted, 5 Mar. 2014
Nice and realistic toy, but the handles come off the basket easily, and most of the fruits / vegetables get squashed and break without too much effort. Only the asparagus and the carrot are solid plastic so have resisted damage. On the other hand, good price for a few weeks of fun.

Brainstorm Toys My Very  Own Kaleidoscope
Brainstorm Toys My Very Own Kaleidoscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as described, 5 Mar. 2014
This was a gift for my 6 year old neice, but I saw it in action and it works as described, making clear and colourful patterns on the wall. Sweet as a small gift but not as a main birthday present.

Spiderman Inflatable Character 60 cm
Spiderman Inflatable Character 60 cm
Offered by Vitastoreonline

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain gift that made my boys happy!, 5 Mar. 2014
I bought two of these for less than a fiver, and they have made my two boys (aged 5 and 3) very happy! The inflatable spiderman is surprisingly big, and stays inflated without a problem. The boys bash them together, ride on them, fight with them - so far so good!

John Adams Domino Express Vertigo TV Craft Kit
John Adams Domino Express Vertigo TV Craft Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my 4 year old, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Domino Express Vertigo (Toy)
My son (aged 4.5) is really enjoying this toy. The pieces are smaller and lighter than normal dominoes, which I think helps as he is able to set up long lines without accidentally knocking the whole line early.

I chose this toy despite seeing a lot of negative reviews about the more elaborate domino express sets (mainly complaints that the parts didn't work) as I thought there was not a lot that could go wrong with a ball drop. When I first tested it out I thought I'd been let down as the marble would roll gently out of the ball drop without sufficient strength to actually knock the domino line down. However, I then realised from the included instructions that you are meant to place a domino in the allocated groove inside the ball drop. Once this is in place, it works 100% of the time to my son's great satisfaction.

Note that only one marble is included, but any small marble will work as a replacement.

Overall, I am very pleased that I have (finally) found something he enjoys enough to leave the TV / computer off, plus no batteries required!

Orchard Toys Under the Sea
Orchard Toys Under the Sea

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright and colourful, 4 May 2013
This review is from: Orchard Toys Under the Sea (Toy)
These would be good for age 12-18 months. I had originally bought for my 2 year old but they are far too easy for him.

Mega Bloks Monster Bag (100 Pieces)
Mega Bloks Monster Bag (100 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 and 2 year old enjoy it, 4 May 2013
Both my little boys (now 4 and 2) have enjoyed the mega bloks since they were babies, and this set is extra good for having special "monster" features such as eyes and mouths.

Miniland Magnetic Lowercase Letters  (62 Pieces)
Miniland Magnetic Lowercase Letters (62 Pieces)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful learning tool, but needed more of some letters, 4 May 2013
I bought this for my 4 year old to try to encourage him to learn to read by shaping words with the letters. He loves it and enjoys spelling out basic words by himself (cat, dog, sit, man) but because there are only two of each letter (apart from the vowels which are 5 each) there are limitations when it comes to full sentances. It would have at least helped to have some extra t and h for spelling "the". But otherwise it's a great tool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3