Profile for Roberto Edgar > Reviews

Cisco CCNA in 60 Days
Cisco CCNA in 60 Days
by Paul William Browning
Price: 37.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Good structure, but not enough detail to pass CCNA!, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cisco CCNA in 60 Days (Paperback)
I originally reviewed this book mid-way through reading it and rated it 4 stars, however today I passed my CCNA exam and need to set a few things straight.

As a University student, I had attended the lectures on CCNA 1,2,3,4, but at that time didn't feel confident enough to take the test (needless to say I was a student and did not have the money). I bought this book with the intention of using it to refresh my memory and provide a good structure for me to follow.

Firstly, the structure set out by Paul is to a very high standard and for that I must give him credit!

However, and I must say it is a big however. Whilst reading the book, I kept thinking to myself "I'm sure there is some detail missing on this part..." "From Uni I remember this too...". I dug up my Uni notes and lectures and I found that chunks of information had been cut from the book which were still relevant and still included in the CCNA syllabus. Quite simply, there is not enough detail in parts of this book to pass. I'm so glad I went back to my lecture slides to revise from, in addition to the book, otherwise there may have been a different ending to my exam today. As an example off the top of my head, I was asked a question regarding VTP and configuration revision numbers, (I won't go into any more detail because I do not want to get into trouble with Cisco), but Configuration revision in VTP is not even covered in the book.

Another negative about the author and of the book is found in the introduction, it asks to give the book a review and you'll be sent a free CCNA exam worth $67. This is why there are so many high reviews, people are not reading the book entirely and writing anything just so they get free stuff - I admit, I am guilty of this, but I making amends now. This prize of a free practice test was short lived when I received an email containing a link to an interactive quiz containing 10 of the easiest questions ever! When I emailed Paul questioning this, I received the comment "It's about quality, not quantity." - This, like the book, contains neither. No doubt, I will get another sarcastic response to this review.

I've noticed a few more reviews regarding the lack of detail, so I'm not the only one. If you are thinking of taking the CCNA exam, I would advise you that you may just be better spending the money on the official Cisco Material. Also, note that this book will soon be out of date with the new release of the CCNA exam coming out in September. Paul, if you are planning to update the book, put in more detail and don't put your false promises and sarcasm in there too!