Profile for S. Donaldson > Reviews

Content by S. Donaldson

S. Donaldson (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Night Post: A New Selection (Salt Modern Poets)
The Night Post: A New Selection (Salt Modern Poets)
by Matthew Sweeney

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetry with a dark twist, 1 Nov. 2010
If you "don't like poetry" I would suggest you pick up this volume of Sweeney's poems and dive straight in. With a dry wit and an eye for detail, these poems will make you ponder on life's little details. The wind and rain pervade as liquid pools of moonlight glint through the pages, while insomnia grabs you and death stalks the streets. Sweeney gets to the heart of life, but rather than spoon-feeding narratives to the reader his style fills in small chunks of a larger story. Dreams hints at premonition and Hitchhiking paints a vivid picture, while Whatever is just plain dark. Throughout the volume we meet death and sex in their many guises, the infirmities of old age and the sharp eyes of youth. These poems aren't flowery sonnets from a make-believe world, they are dark, surreal and full of humour - albeit a very dark kind of humour.
In these days of instant gratification and "no time to read", I would suggest that this volume is slim enough to fit in your jacket pocket, or your bag, ready to be taken out and dipped into in those spare few moments. This isn't the poetry of the classroom, but poetry for now, poetry that makes you think.

The Stepmothers' Support Group
The Stepmothers' Support Group
by Sam Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, 14 July 2010
To be honest I wasnt sure what to expect when I picked up this book. I'm not one for chick-lit and have had my nose buried in a couple of heavy books recently so I thought I'd read something different for a change. And I'm really glad I did!

This is not a mindless read that romps from one implausible scenario to the next, this is a considered well-written piece of fiction that actually makes you look at yourself and those around you in a new light, but without being a heavy or preachy. I'm not a step-parent, but I am a mother, and the characters in this book strike you as people you could easily know, and probably have known had you only looked closer into their lives.

It's an extremely enjoyable read that I'd honestly recommend.

Being Human: Bad Blood
Being Human: Bad Blood
by James Goss

5.0 out of 5 stars Like your own little episode, 3 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Being Human: Bad Blood (Paperback)
I'm not one for reading fiction based on TV shows, but this book has made me change my mind. I'm an avid follower of Being Human since the pilot so I honestly didnt think that this book would be up to much. I was wrong!

The characterisation is so good that you are actually transported into your own little episode, you can hear the characters, see their mannerisms and get caught up in the story. The book is so good in fact that when I watched the last episode I wondered if this had actually been a script that wasnt used but was turned into a book instead.

If you love Being Human you will love this book, if you dont know the tv series you will want to watch it by the time you've finished it. Someone who has never watched the series should find it easy to understand the characters, but those that know and love the series should get the book.

This has changed my view of tv tie-in fiction...so much so I'm going to buy the other two titles.

Tarot for Life: Reading the Cards for Everyday Guidance and Growth
Tarot for Life: Reading the Cards for Everyday Guidance and Growth
by Paul Quinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written & down to earth, 4 Jan. 2010
In this wonderfully written book Paul gets down to the nitty gritty with a sense of humour and an excellent way with words. Each card has its own in-depth description, complete with a black and white illustration from the Universal Waite Tarot, and included are questions for reflection on the Major Arcana. There is also a handy table of attributes at the end of each card's section, just right for those times when the cards just aren't talking to you and you need affirmation. I also like the way he has included an "advice" line, for when the card falls into the advice part of a spread ...just what IS the positive advice from the ten of Swords? What sets this book apart from the rest however, are the excellent mini case studies that he presents for each card; these really bring the cards to life without getting bogged down with either a full-on academic style look at the cards, or a beginners step-by-step guide. The book is informative but at the same time is interesting to read - a beginner would get just as much out of this book as a seasoned Tarot reader.

Page: 1 | 2