Profile for Brian D > Reviews

Content by Brian D

Brian D "briandaud" (Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2
The Wall
The Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never tired of this...., 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Wall (MP3 Download)
I remember buying 'The Wall' when it came out on vinyl. Needless to say it eventually 'wore out' so I had no hesitation in buying it on CD.
Other reviewers will have more knowledgeable facts about the album and about Pink Floyd the group. I do not intend to even go there, but just to say this is one of those 'must have' albums. A classic.

Logitech USB Desktop Microphone
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and hassle-free, 19 Mar 2010
I confess to having misgivings about a USB mic. My previous mic, which plugged into the 'pink in' socket, always had a problem with 'crackle' - a fault which it had from new and developed in a short time to be unusable.
I need not have worried. I simply plugged this mic in, waited for the PnP to load, and that was it. And being Logitech, it sits rather well with my other desktop items and looks very neat indeed.
In use I position it about 2 feet away, so there is no chance of that 'blowing' noise you often hear. I use it on PalTalk and I am told the audio is excellent.
A great bit of kit.

Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick
Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick

5.0 out of 5 stars I've started to enjoy flight sims now, 5 Feb 2010
I was never a fan of air-combat, flight-sims or whatever you like to call them. The keyboard/mouse combinations and having to keep looking away from the screen to find which key to press was frustrating.
Until I took a half-hour trip on a helicopter where I could handle the controls, I had never been off the ground in my life, and I am no youngster. I enjoyed it so much I immediately dug out my hardly-used Microsoft Flight Simulator, and awaited the arrival of the joystick.
I was amazed at the ease with which I could now play the games I had previously consigned to the back of the drawer. Certain games require the joystick to be configured the way I like it. but other than that it is great to use.

Signing Off
Signing Off

4.0 out of 5 stars Good UB40 album, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Signing Off (MP3 Download)
Only one track I wasn't too keen on (Burden of Shame, 'cos I don't share the sentiment in the lyrics), so when I burned it to CD to play in the car I omitted it. Otherwise, great!!

Operation Flashpoint: Game of the Year Edition (PC CD)
Operation Flashpoint: Game of the Year Edition (PC CD)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed, 26 July 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
If I had bought this game when it came out it might have been a different story, but nowadays the graphics look blocky and personally I didn't find much excitement in the gameplay.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2011 5:05 PM GMT

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PC DVD)
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PC DVD)
Offered by GameWizard UK

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing game, 26 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As mentioned elsewhere, the game is not in the box. What you get is an authorization to download no less than five items from STEAM, having first created your account. In my case I downloaded the whole lot in one session which took a few hours, but you can choose to do it one at a time.
What you eventually get is: Half-Life, Half-Life2 (episodes 1 and 2), Portal (an intriguing and frustrating puzzle-game), Team Fortress 2 (for online play) and a single scenario called Lost Coast.
This is terrific value for money considering the hours of play you get. I cannot add anything worthwhile to the descriptions of the game(s) found elswhere, except to say that you will be well satisfied. A must buy. Can't wait for Half-Life 3 to come out.

Dub Side Of The Moon
Dub Side Of The Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Floyd, Dub-Stylee, 4 Mar 2009
If, like me, you enjoy listening to say Tomita's version of Holst's Planet Suite, or Jacques Loussier playing Bach, or even Duke Ellington jazzing it with Mary Poppins (that's great!!), you'll love this. It is a bit tongue in cheek, but not silly; if you are familiar with 'Dark Side of the Moon' you will appreciate what a good job has been made of this dub version. I play it over again without ever tiring of it: excellent!

Reggae Greats (Re-Issue)
Reggae Greats (Re-Issue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Like being at a party, 4 Mar 2009
A live recording, with an enthusiastic audience singing along makes it a very enjoyable foot-tapping CD. One of Gregory's best.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2009 9:30 PM GMT

The Assault on Liberty: What Went Wrong with Rights
The Assault on Liberty: What Went Wrong with Rights
by Dominic Raab

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener, 4 Mar 2009
A fair and reasoned assessment of the salami-slicing of the freedoms we have long accepted as being part of being British. Although the author points out that The Labour Party is not totally to blame for all this, equally it is the reason for much of it. A vitriolic lambasting of Jaqui Smith, Jack Straw, Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and so on it is not; however the kid gloves remain off... A very interesting and thought-provoking read.

Far Cry 2 (PC)
Far Cry 2 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 31 Jan 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
I agree with the other reviewers, although I have not quite finished the game. At first I was amazed by the visuals; the explosions, the car crashes, the blood...and the 'overheard' comments by the enemy were often quite amusing. But then it got a bit tiresome and repetitive getting shot up in the same locations that I had just eliminated the enemy from, having to travel right across the map to fulfil some mission only to find that halfway there my sniper rifle had got old and rusty so that I had to divert to a weapon shop to have it replaced. Tee-dee-OUS! And that's apart from the need to find anti-malaria pills where the process ia exactly the same, divert, get shot up, get the pills, get shot up, return to the main mission, get shot up....uhhh.
I found that I preferred to move around the map by night (you can hole-up in a safe house until whatever time of day you wish to emerge) just because the enemies seemed less able to notice me, but I still became frustrated by being shot persistently by an enemy I couldn't even see and who seemed to be able to shoot through rocks and round corners. Far Cry was better in that the enemies showed up on the viewfinder. Again, unlike Far Cry there seems to be little opportunity to try out different strategies such as ambush: although you can obviously get a different result from say using a pistol rather than a flamethrower, or approaching the objective from different directions, the AI seems to react in the same way.
I am going to finish the game just because I'm determined to do so: whether I'll play it again with a different strategy, I'm not sure: I'll probably be playing something else by then. A lot of fun, except for the parts that aren't; a good replay potential, unless you've been bored by the first play. Very good in parts, so-so in others!

Page: 1 | 2