Profile for Midori Bear > Reviews

Lost and Found [DVD]
Lost and Found [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars I only wish it was a little longer., 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lost and Found [DVD] (DVD)
Lost and Found is a beautiful little animation by Studio AKA. I urge anyone to buy this, no matter your age you will undoubtedly enjoy it!

Sadly it is only 40 minutes long but it is truly adorable, kids and adults alike will enjoy it. It is based on Oliver Jeffers award winning children's picture book and follows a little boy as he struggles to return a little penguin to his home as he has become lost, adorable i know.

It has won a BAFTA for the Best Children's Animation and has also won 61 other International Awards, surely that just shows you how worth purchasing it really is.

I can't really tell you much more about the plot, as i wouldn't want to give it away, but with beautiful animation and a spectacular soundtrack, it is worth the money, even if it is only 40 minutes long, they are 40 minutes you will watch again and again and again and again.

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 2
The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories: Volume 2
by Joseph Gordon-Levitt

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely gift., 26 Jun. 2013
I bought this little book for my friend for her birthday and she loved it!

It is adorable, curated by Joseph Gordon Levitt, it is a must for any fan, and for any one who just loves great art.

How it works is people send in passages they have written, or drawings, films or sound clips they have created themselves, and join together with others on the network to combine their talents and create a film, a song, a story, or, in this case, a book of short stories with gorgeous pictures to accompany them.

It is beautiful, it won't take you long to flick through it, but it is definitely something you will keep coming back to to look at again and again and at the price you really can't complain! A must for any art fan or a fan of something a little different.

Before Sunset [DVD] [2004]
Before Sunset [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ethan Hawke
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful love story., 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Before Sunset [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
I prefer Before Sunset to its predecessor Before Sunrise as i find the characters more believable and easier to relate to.

Jesse and Celine are reunited after 9 years without seeing each other, through Jesse's book tour. The film starts in the iconic Shakespeare and Co. bookshop near the picturesque Notre Dame as Jesse is there for the last leg of his book tour, Celine hears about this and goes to the interview, and the film continues from there.

Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke are great together, forget any preconceptions you may have of either of them as actors, they are great as Jesse and Celine. You can't help but fall in love with them and hope everything works out well, I don't really want to say anything else on the plot as it may ruin the ending for you, but it is just lovely.

It is shot brilliantly, as the film is set in real-time, as one continuous conversation between the two leads, with very few other characters, and even those only say a line or two, it is purely just about two relationship between the two of them.

It is a timeless film, as is Before Sunrise, made 9 years prior in 1995, so don't feel put off by the dates! With before Midnight out imminently (within the next few weeks i think!), i urge you to buy both films and watch them, rewatch them if you have already seen them, or familiarise yourself with them if you haven't, you will not be disappointed.

Ripper Street [DVD]
Ripper Street [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Macfadyen

5.0 out of 5 stars The best BBC series in quite some time., 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
I love nothing more then getting hooked on a good tv series, but i didn't quite expect my obsession with Ripper Street to be so strong! I first saw the trailers around christmas and watched it each and every week, with my love of the different characters growing with every episode. Each character has their own story and unique hidden back story which gets revealed as the series continues. This added with each weeks different mystery leads for an addictive show, as you want to watch week by week as we discover more about the three lead characters.

Adam Rothenberg, Jerome Flynn and Matthew McFadyen (Jackson, Drake and Reid) are all brilliant, working well with each other to create a believable police unit, with great supporting characters such as Rose and Long Susan and adorable trainee policeman Hobbs!

I got given this DVD for my birthday and have already watched it through again twice, i literally can't get enough, the series improves each time you watch it as you pick up dialogue or notice things you had previously missed. Brilliant stories, amazing acting and spectacular settings, this really is one to buy. I have sat down to watch it with my mum as well, so it is one for all the ages, if you are a bit squeamish it might be best to close your eyes through some parts but don't let that put you off because the stories alone are just great.

I can't wait for the next series which is being filmed as i type, bring on more Ripper Street!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 12:18 PM GMT

The Artist [DVD]
The Artist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jean Dujardin
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling., 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Artist [DVD] (DVD)
This film is truly stunning, how anybody could give it only one star is beyond me. I saw it twice at the cinema, once with my friends and once with my mum and we all enjoyed it equally.

It really is a film for all the ages.

It was interesting to see a black and white film made for modern day audiences. We didn't get the stilted acting which was around all those years ago, but instead a film which flowed and was truly funny and spellbinding. Don't get me wrong, I love old films, just not all have managed to break through the time barrier and become something universal for audiences to watch together.

The use of sound was really interesting in this film, as it sifted between diagetic and non-diagetic to indicate the movement from silent films to talkies, and the demise of the famous silent actors. This is all done so eloquently with brilliant editing and a pretty much perfect soundtrack that you cannot help but stare, mouth open at the scenes unveiling before your eyes.

The plot is beautiful and a classic like the film. It isn't just your typical love story. I don't want to say any more in case you haven't already seen it.

One thing I will say is that I am unsure how well the film will translate onto a smaller screen. Still captivating and unique but may be missing that cinematic sparkle. However don't let that deter you, if you have already seen it or just want to know what all the fuss was about, just buy it!

Fable 2 : Classics (Xbox 360)
Fable 2 : Classics (Xbox 360)
Offered by Fuzion

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 27 Dec. 2011
I bought this game for my boyfriend at christmas because to be totally honest, I was getting pretty bored watching him play shooting game after shooting game, and i thought it would be nice if there was also something that we'd both like, and I wanted to play as well, it was probably one of the best decisions I made!

I'm not going to lie and say I know much about xbox games or gaming in general, I still sit and play Monkey Island and Theme Hospital for hours on end...so it was nice to find a game that really is so enthralling. There is an endless amount of quests to do, which is what makes this game so fun. You don't have to stick to the plot line all the time, and you can venture off and get a job for a while or buy a house, run around and explore the scenery of do tasks for villagers and other people who need your help. There is so much detail in this game, like how your character becomes fat if you eat too many pies, and it is the little details like this which kept us both gawking at the screen until about 5am unable to put the controllers down.

I was worried to buy this as it is a few years old now, and I know that buying the old games isn't as good as getting the new (and predictable) Call of Duty, but if you want something truley enthralling, this is it. It is a game for everyone, and you can play it how you like, choose to become evil or follow the virtuous path, it really is your choice, there are hours of exploring to be done!

It is a game for both the seasoned gamer and the nervous newcomer both will enjoy it equally and enjoy playing and watching it together as well, the scenery is so nice its fun to just sit down and have a little chill time watching others do all the hard work.

Buy it and enjoy it, hey it's so cheap even if you aren't that impressed (I don't see how you couldn't be), it's not like you've lost £40, like you would do if you bought a brand new game.

Hugo Boss BOSS SOUL eau de toilette spray 90 ml
Hugo Boss BOSS SOUL eau de toilette spray 90 ml
Offered by EftBeautyUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing smell and even better price., 27 Dec. 2011
A brilliant smell and an excellent price. I bought this for my boyfriend for christmas and he was really happy with it. He often claims it is a pretty hard fragrance to find, so if you are also having trouble, I guess amazon is the best place for it.

It also comes packaged very well. I was a little worried at first as it is clearly breakable, but no damage was done and it arrived fast and in perfect condition.

This Is England '86 [DVD]
This Is England '86 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thomas Turgoose
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Visual perfection., 27 Dec. 2011
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
It was interesting to see the move from film to television for Shane Meadow's second trip to visit the cast of This is England. The majority of Meadows' material comes from his past experiences of growing up in Uttoxeter, and those of you who know his material well, may know that the character of Shaun was loosely based on Meadows when he was a kid, and his move into the Skinhead fashion, and even his ordeal with a severe beating played out right in front of his eyes. So it is interesting to see things from anothers perspective in the This is England gang.

The reason This Is England 86 is so interesting is because for the first time, Meadows' lead role is a female character, and a strong and independant one at that. The majority of his films focus on males and their dominance over small town communities, and the females are often only seen for a few moments, and take either a maternal or sexual role. However, in this instance, Lol is the strongest character in front of us, and Vicky Mcclure plays her to perfection. The characters have all visibly grown and the divisions in the group do not last for long.

Meadows' use of slow motion is also pretty special, the cinematographer really does have a special gift, and this series really is spectacular to watch, the realism is phenomenal and every scene just works to perfection.

Like any of Meadows' work it doesn't stay happy for long, and we learn about Lols dark past with her father, and we see her unlucky time with Woody and the flat and growing up. She doesn't ask for much as a character, but things manage to push her over the edge. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, although undoubtedly a lot of people looking at this review may already know what happens throughout the series. But hey! You might not.

I would say buy this, Meadows created a series instead of a second film to give all the characters more screen time. If you are already a fan of the film, get to know the characters you loved in more depth. If you are new to This is England, i'd advise buying the film as well, only so you understand a lot of why the group are how they are, especially in the first episode, but it isn't integral. Enjoy!

Blue Valentine [DVD]
Blue Valentine [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

4.0 out of 5 stars 'A love story for anyone that's ever been in love'., 27 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Blue Valentine [DVD] (DVD)
'A Love Story For Anyone That's Ever Been in Love', the tagline clearly indicates the dreary and realistic tone of the film, before you have even had a chance to learn anything about it. As i'm sure you are well aware, not all great loves have happy endings and this film certainly isn't one of them, so if you are looking for a remake of The Notebook, i'd steer well away from this one.

The film follows the highs and lows of Dean and Cindy, A couple which first meet while Dean is working as a removal man. Dean feels the two have an instant connection and persues Cindy. The film inter-cuts between the present day and past moments in their relationship, and we get a clear and unbiased overview of their relationship. There is a great deal of happy moments between the couple, generally made even better by the charismatic energy that Gosling and Michelle Williams portray on set, but we also see the negatives like the onset of arguments, and the slow increase in their frequency.

I don't want to say much more as I feel the pleasure is in getting to know the characters yourself as you start to feel for them, and Gosling and Williams allow you to feel involved in their lives. I had no clue what was going to play out on screen before me as I sat down to watch this film, and I think that is the best way to approach it.

Buy it and enjoy! The music is class and the cinematography is pretty interesting, so visually its also pretty lovely. Although I would warn those of you who are expecting a soppy love story, this isn't for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2015 2:31 PM BST

Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD]
Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

4.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal., 1 July 2011
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (2010) [DVD] (DVD)
It has been a while since I have seen a film which really had an impact on me, so Never Let Me Go, a film I viewed purely for my love of both Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightley blew me away, and rightfully so.

I didn't have much knowledge on the plot before watching the film, and I think this added to the impact the film has upon the viewer. All in all it is a love story and Knightley, Mulligan and Andrew Garfield are all exceptional in their roles. The three leads are all brought up together in the same boarding school and bread to be organ donors. These schools are put in place to study these donors and to give them a 'normal' life until it is their time to leave and 'complete' their journey. This in itself is a pretty disturbing concept. It is set in the 80s - 90s, making it all too realistic to forget in a hurry. We watch the characters go through the heartache of real love, both in terms of friendships and relationships, until the end has all too suddenly arrived.

There are some beautiful appearances from Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky) and Domhnall Gleeson (Bill Weasley from the Harry Potter films), which makes this an even more enjoyable watch. I urge you to buy this.

Page: 1 | 2