Profile for OrangeJon > Reviews

OrangeJon

Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
by Nir Eyal

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and practical, I'm applying the Hook Model immediately ..., 29 Mar. 2015
Concise and practical, I'm applying the Hook Model immediately to my design work. I guess I should report back on whether we managed to get anybody hooked!

Mobilizers: High Speed 10 Ports USB 2.0 HUB With For Laptop / Notebook / PC / Computer / Tablets - BLACK

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last as long as I'd hoped!, 29 Mar. 2015
Was working fine, but then randomly died completely after 6 months. Was just sat on my desk at the time, not damaged. Poor quality or designed obsolescence?

Dylon Machine Dye Velvet Black 200 g (Pack of 3)
Dylon Machine Dye Velvet Black 200 g (Pack of 3)
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too effective.. still dying subsequent washes!, 16 Sept. 2009
This dye did a good job on my cotton jacket, it came out a nice deep black. However, it must have got stuck in the machine somehow because we're now getting black stains appearing on light-coloured clothes, even several weeks after I used this dye! Maybe a hand-wash dye is a safer move.

Tribes: We need you to lead us
Tribes: We need you to lead us
by Seth Godin

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed a bit light on content..., 1 July 2009
I feel the whole book could basically be summed up as: "People need leaders. You're a leader. Go lead." Sure, there's a few other interesting ideas here and there, but it felt like there was too much filler and not enough revelations. Sorry Seth.

Jamzero
Jamzero
Offered by J4G

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, is that REALLY just their voices?, 30 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Jamzero (Audio CD)
I must admit I'm not a beatbox fanatic, but this is some of the best I've ever heard. Bauchklang really take beatboxing to the next level - not just complex rhythms and basslines, but full structured pieces of music!
If I haven't succeeded to persuade you, take a look at some of the video or audio files on [...]

Permutation
Permutation
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning... a real 'grower', 5 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Permutation (Audio CD)
21st century Jazz? Classical Drum and Bass?
I really don't quite know how to describe Amon Tobin's unique style, I don't think you can really pigeonhole it. It's a musical mish-mash of heavily Jazz-influenced ecclectic beats, but mixed in a stunningly precise modern fashion.
From my rather muddled description above, you're probably thinking it sounds like a complete mess, and I'd tend to agree with you. Upon first listening to this album, I wasn't massively impressed; I instantly liked a couple of tracks, notably "Nightlife" which is a stunning blend of orchestral breakbeat mayhem. But the rest of the album, just like "Out from Outwhere", seemed all rather noisy and confused.
But perhaps that is part of the magic that makes me play this CD time and time again. As you listen for the third, fourth time you start to really unravel it's hidden depths and catch a glimpse of the world inside Amon Tobin's twisted mind...
If, like me, you have wide musical tastes but aren't completely averse to electronica, buy it. Then listen to it. Then listen to it again. Maybe once more. Then you'll see what I mean - it's big, it's scary, it's damn complicated and it's an absolute masterpeice.
Jon

The Stanton Session Vol.1
The Stanton Session Vol.1
Offered by rsc-media

5.0 out of 5 stars MC Moose Get Out O' Me Hoose!, 14 Jun. 2002
Certainly a fine piece of work by the Stantons, superb mixing that is certainly over and above merely a compilation album. The Stantons also rock live, if you ever get a chance to see them.
But is the MCing really necessary? I mean it's good, but I'd rather just concentrate on the music rather than have somebody randomly shouting over the top of it. But I guess that's a personal preference.
But whilst I loathe MCs in general, it's still a wicked album: if you like any of the originals, or like any of the Stanton's mixes (which you've probably heard, even if you didn't know it was the Stantons' doing!), buy it!