Profile for DDGwacott > Reviews

Content by DDGwacott

DDGwacott "ChrissieLinnit (DDG with a cherry on the top)" (South Coast, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
JVC Sports Clip Headphones with Mic and Remote for iPod / iPhone / MP3 Devices - Black
Offered by thaw001

1.0 out of 5 stars Headphones perform function adequately. However, I am a ..., 30 Aug 2014
Headphones perform function adequately. However, I am a pensioner and had one heck of a job un-packaging them. The outer plastic casing is very thick and you have to cut it with either very strong and big scissors or use a very sharp knife. And whilst you are doing that you have to be careful of the inner plastic case holding the earphones and wiring. I very nearly cut through the lead. I suppose if you are young and dexterous, have some strength in your wrists and fingers this wont be too much of an issue for you. But I will never buy anything with this sort of packaging ever again.

Visions: Number 2 in series (The Cainsville Trilogy)
Visions: Number 2 in series (The Cainsville Trilogy)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I'm used to from Kelly - A little too much superfluous sex for me, 24 Aug 2014
Like the review by AyJay, I too am disappointed in the direction Ms Armstrong has taken this book. I've got twenty five of KA's books and I can honestly say that I have loved every single one of them. I love her writing style, her seemingly effortless storytelling and her careful and professional attention to continuity and detail (all praise to her fantastic editorial/beta and management team).

However, I think she has decided to flex some new writing muscles in this book, introducing a far more mature level of sexual chemistry into the sub plot and investing a lot of writing space into the sexual narrative. Is it necessary to the story? Well, to be honest I don't like that level of detail in my books and so I ended up skimming pages and pages of the stuff. I also had a hard job bonding with the two participants in the lurve-fests. Olivia is clearly way older than her years, a socialite, intellectually strong and pretty dominant. Ricky comes across as physically powerful, an animalistic alpha, but clearly a boy, albeit a highly sexed and randy one. I couldn't understand the sex scenes. In a J.R. Ward book you expect them and they are intrinsic to the culture and plots. In a KA book the story arcs don't need graphic content. It is a distraction. Superfluous. Did it stop me understanding what was going on? No. Did it affect my enjoyment? Absolutely, hence the three star rating (a first for me when I rate KA's books). I'm truly undecided now about whether to continue with the series (a major disappointment for me as I really do look forward to new books from KA). I'm wondering if her writing of sex scenes in this book was influenced by working with TV writers for Bitten (?). I hope not. I think that there was a distinct change of writing for Charlaine Harris fans following her True Blood series and her books then lost many old time readers. I don't want KA to go that way, but she's her own boss.

I really do want to end on a positive though. The overall plot is great and builds with pace and subtle character development. The setting is a sort of amalgam of 'Village of the Damned' meets ' Midsummer Nights Dream' meets 'Moonlighting' and you can't skim read because KA pops pieces of the puzzle in when you least expect it. The lead characters, Liv/Eden, Gabriel, Patrick and Rose have solid characterisation.

Were she to cut back on the adult sex scenes and allow the reader to insert those bits as she fades to black, so to speak (and as she has often done before in her Otherworld series), I'd be ordering the third book in this series right now.

Nine by Night: A Multi-Author Urban Fantasy Bundle of Kickass Heroines, Adventure, & Magic

2.0 out of 5 stars A collection of YA fantasy novels, 19 Aug 2014
I bought this on the strength of Lindsay Buroker's contribution, and as far as her story goes it was great. However, I only managed to finish one of the other stories becuse they were all clearly written with the YA market in mind and I just cannot get in to them. They alway seem (in my head as I'm reading) to not just be targetted at the YA market but to have been written by a teen author as well. They probably aren't, but that's the impression I always get and it makes for an uncomfortable story time for me. They are probably great for younger fans of the genre but I like a little depth or really quick wit from my authors. I wouldn't have bought if I'd known I was in for, what I personally find, naiive narrative.

Sixth Grave on the Edge: Charley Davidson Series: Book Seven
Sixth Grave on the Edge: Charley Davidson Series: Book Seven

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Charley Davidson almost as much as I love Darynda, 22 May 2014
Darynda Jones has given life to a wholly unique and charismatic, in a totally psychotic sort of way, fantasy female lead character.

This is book six in a series that has yet to have a single dud. Charley Davidson continues to be mildly psychotic, continues to be the Grim Reaper minus instructions, loves the son of Satan and keeps faith in the fact that she can make bad boy turn good. I love Cookie cause she loves Charley. Ubie, Swopes, Angel and Mr Wong all have their roles and none of them feel like fillers. Charley's father and step mom are perhaps the weakest characters, but with so much else going on that's not a significant detraction.

The USP in all of the books, though, is the humour. Totally unique, totally Charley, totally me!

I cannot wait for the next book, so I'm going to re-read the whole series starting this evening.

Republic (The Emperor's Edge Book 8)
Republic (The Emperor's Edge Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the Republic flourish!, 4 May 2014
Lindsay Buroker could write backwards in Turgonian and still have a best seller on her hands..

This is an epic in the gentlest steampunkest tradition. A cleverly crafted story that gave good airtime to multiple characters and never left me feeling that they were fillers or the situations overly engineered plot devices. I think a lot of authors find it challenging to develop more than a couple of the characters in their book or to imbue them with and strength of character, but this book has a well developed lead cast of seven (Rias, Tikaya, Amaranthe, Sicarius, Sespian, Mahliki and Maldynado) plus the new character of Dak and appearances by several other regulars as well as the prescriptive Big Bads.

Writing is crisp and full of Burokers signature humour. If you've not read her before, go back and get the series before reading this. It's not essential but it will make everything more familiar and add to the enjoyment.

The Keepers (The Alchemy Series Book 1)
The Keepers (The Alchemy Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Has great premise, but there's something not quite right., 23 April 2014
Have you ever been watching TV when something goes awry? The screen jumps, the sound crackles? Just for a few seconds, but enough to put you off your stride? That's what happens through this book. Frustrating.

Death's Daughter (Realm Walker)
Death's Daughter (Realm Walker)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great premise but lacks dimension and depth, 21 April 2014
Technically a well thought out and paced story. But I rapidly felt as if the narrative was leaden and monotone. The characterisation just never quite fleshed out. And the Big Bad was glaringly obvious about two pages after being introduced into the tale. Some holes in the story, too. Characters introduced and linked to plot teasers but never followed up and tidied away. And I had to stop reading after the sex scene... Either write a sex scene with atmosphere or skip it, please!

Finder: First Ordinance, Book One
Finder: First Ordinance, Book One

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent first book in a refreshingly different fantasy series, 13 April 2014
Finder/Quinn is the lead character and her perspective is told in first person. The chapters follow her as she grows and evolves. Initially, mute and docile her changing circumstances see her grow in both ability and heart. Her journey takes us through a world of lands as diverse as medieval culture and capability to hi tech through angelic ethereal to demonic alien. And each chapter provides not just Finder/Quinn's point of view but develops the characters of that particular place, the politics and cultures and slowly it all comes together....

I seriously cannot wait for the next book in the series. Please hurry Ms S

Sea of Shadows: Number 1 in series (Age of Legends)
Sea of Shadows: Number 1 in series (Age of Legends)

4.0 out of 5 stars A meaty fantasy with the potential to become a new epic saga, 11 April 2014
My only reservation with this is that it is quite firmly a YA.

As a devotee of KA's 'Otherworld' collection of books I was hoping she would continue with a new adult fantasy series. However, this first book in the new series does a great job of building the setting - a medieval, superstitious, feudal kingdom. Keepers and Seekers of the beliefs and protectors of the kingdom chosen from birth and paired with mystical creatures who manifest as a feline and canine companion. The overall series story arc takes the whole book to build and reveal and while we follow the Keeper and Seeker we get to meet the supporting cast.

KA provides a highly polished tale. Four stars because I really like this author. A star missing because being YA this lacks the dialogue maturity that I relish on adult offerings.

Masks
Masks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet of the Cassie Palmer series of books, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Masks (Kindle Edition)
... and Cassie isn't even in it!

It's all about Mircea. And what a brilliant story Ms Chance weaves. Still only a hint of Mircea's pre-vamp roots, but you don't miss that tale at all, because you join Mircea on a roller coaster of excitement as he bonds with his fellow newbies, learns the ropes of his new situation in Venice, and observe the future leader and player starting to emerge.

It's a well balanced tale. Just enough descriptive to make you feel like you're actually with him in Mediciesque Venice. Development of characters cold, cunning, ruthless and lost. A plotline that grows as the main character's own awareness and understanding grows. And, just enough humour to make you smile, but not so much it stops being Mircea.

I have to give five stars because I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and Ms Chance has opened a path for us to have tales of some of the characters introduced here - should she so choose (hint hint), BUT.... I was so hoping to have a little more manservant/master time and feel poor old H sort of got left adrift on a gondola somewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6