Profile for James > Reviews

Content by James

James "james_had"

Large Perpetual Calendar Flipclock QD35 by Twemco in white. Original Interior Design Icon since 1956. On wall or standing. New in box. Also available in black. Please view pictures. Retro Vintage Interior Accessories Classic Modern Loft Hotel Office Station Airport Style Day Date Time Industrial Flip Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clock!, 30 April 2014
I've been after a clock like this for about 15 years, since I was about 12 years old, and I've finally managed to get one! Sadly these sort of clocks aren't as easy to come by as I'd like, as I love flip clocks and wish they were more commonplace outside of banks and the likes. It's been hanging on my wall for 3 weeks now and has been working flawlessly and keeps perfect time!

Animaniacs 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Animaniacs 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

1.0 out of 5 stars Gah, Region 1, 4 Mar. 2013
I bought this DVD quite comfortable I'd be able to watch it. After all, Volumes 1-3 were Region free, surely this would be too? Wrong. I put it in my blu-ray player and it spits it out as it's the wrong region. My blu-ray player as well seems to be one of the few models that has no region free hack code. Can't play it in my laptop either, as the DVD drive in it is one that's made so even VLC can't play non-region 2 DVDs. And what are the chances of this getting an official UK release? Quite slim I think. With region coding, and making players and computers not be able to overcome the region restrictions, is it any wonder people are turing to piracy? I's the only way to be able to see these things- instead I've payed over the odds for what to me are as much use as drinks coasters. The movie industry cna moan about piracy, but they're driving people to it, even those of us who try and get things legitimately.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 4:17 AM GMT

Steven Spielberg: Tiny Toon Adventures 3 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Steven Spielberg: Tiny Toon Adventures 3 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Region Free!, 19 Feb. 2013
How annoying! As the DVDs of Season 1 were region free, I thought it would be a given that this one would be too. Boy was I wrong! The even more annoying thing is the Blu-Ray players I've got don't seem to have a region-free hack anywhere online, and my laptop's DVD drive is one of those that's made so you can't use VLC to watch multi-region DVDs either. DVD region coding is a horrible idea which restricts the choice of many of us. Considering the chances of the show actually getting an official UK release are slim, is it any wonder people are turning to piracy, when those of us who even want to buy the show legitmately can't?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2013 2:23 AM GMT

Only Fools and Horses - A Royal Flush  [DVD]
Only Fools and Horses - A Royal Flush [DVD]

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor from the BBC, 16 July 2005
This is one of only two BBC DVD's I've ever had a problem with. I was delighted to see that the final Only Fools episode was being released, to complete my collection. Unfortunatly, as soon as I took it out the packed, I noticed the text on the back saying this is not the orignal verion. Sadly, someone has seen fit to cut 20 minutes off. A quarter of this episode has gone for no good reason. Also a laugh track has been added, dorwning out dialogue (the same thing happens on the Miami Twice DVD where a alugh track is also needlessly added). This to things have totally ruined this episode and I feel robbed of my 12 quid. It will sit in my DVD selection for completeness, but I will enver watch it agian, and I pray the BBC one day releses the uncut laugh track free version of this episode.

Only Fools and Horses - The Frog's Legacy [DVD] [1981]
Only Fools and Horses - The Frog's Legacy [DVD] [1981]

2.0 out of 5 stars One of the poorer epsiodes, 6 Oct. 2003
I personally think this episode is one of the poorer christmas specials. There are some funny moments (mainly the funeral procession), but I find the rest of the episode too slow moving and not hugely interesting.

Cow And Chicken: Volume 1 [VHS] [1997]
Cow And Chicken: Volume 1 [VHS] [1997]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 4 Oct. 2003
Just got hold of the video and it's great- I've liked this show since I first saw it when I was 11. Now I;m 17 I am vable to get a lot more of the humour, so it makes it even better. I've noticed this video is Cow & Chicken Volume 1- so where is Volume 2? Will it be released any time soon?

Only Fools and Horses - Miami Twice [1981] [DVD]
Only Fools and Horses - Miami Twice [1981] [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Like the episode, but the DVD is poor, 11 July 2003
While the episode is one of the best, the way they presented it on the DVD is nothing short of appaling. The show was originally broadcast as 2 seperate epsiodes on 2 different days. The first was like a "narmal" epsiode, but the second was like a TV movie- shot entirely on film, with lots of incidental music and no canned laughter. Sadly, the makers of this DVD have decided to attatch the two episodes together, and put a laughter track on the 2nd. This heavily detracts from the episode, as the laughter is not menat to be there, and on several occasions interfered with dialogue.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 10 July 2003
I love this series. One of the best, especially Backwards and Timeslides, which are two of my favorite episodes. Here we also have Kryten as a permanant fixture, and is very funny, though Holly inexplicably turns into a woman (The same woman who played Holly's female counterpart is Series 2's "Parallel Universe). It did go up from here, until series 7 when it went downhill, mainly by Rob Grant leaving. Also they added the "filmic" look as it was trendy,t hankfully it was absent on series 8, though the fact that they increased the budget, made the sets look good and actually put some effort into the effects- that was what ruined it. The cheap tackiness made Red Dwarf what it was, it doesn't look right with Hollywood effects.