Profile for B.H. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and very well written, 28 Oct. 2015
I bought this when it was Deal of the Day on Audible, pretty much on a whim - I hadn't heard of it before but I'm hoovering up audiobooks for my commute and the reviews on Amazon were so good that I thought it was worth a go. I haven't been so gripped by a novel for quite a while - I was actually glad to see traffic jams because it meant more time with the book. When Friday came I bought the Kindle edition as well, so I could carrying on reading at home.

Andy and Paul are well-drawn, not always likeable but better for it. The basic premise is intriguing and could've fizzled out once the initial setup had been exhausted, but it just kept getting better. There were a couple of what could be loose ends or just other avenues that could have been explored, but I enjoyed the book so much that I'm happy to leave myself in the author's hands.

The audiobook is fantastic, by the way - Paul in particular was perfect.

Amazon Video
Amazon Video

3.0 out of 5 stars A better choice of films than Netflix, 20 July 2015
This review is from: Amazon Video (App)
A better choice of films than Netflix, not as good as Sky through NowTV. Availability is the main sticking point though - it won't play on a Chromecast or NowTV box (the former because Amazon want to sell you a Kindle media device, the latter because Sky don't want the competition, presumably).

Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach
Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach

5.0 out of 5 stars A very contemplative, appealing book using the seasons as ..., 20 July 2015
A very contemplative, appealing book using the seasons as a backdrop for musings about walks on Ainsdale beach and things that wash up there. It made me appreciate my local coast more and look more closely at the things I see there, with some interesting results.

KitVision Small Monkee Grip Flexible Foam Tripod with Phone Holder Compatible with Smartphones and DSLR Cameras - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, does what it's supposed to, 20 July 2015
Great product, does what it's supposed to. It just about fits a Galaxy S3 with no case, but it's a tight squeeze and doesn't feel as if it's doing the phone much good. Fine with an Xperia Z1 Compact and an ipod Touch 5 though.

Bluetooth 4.0 Car Kit ESYNiC 3.5mm Car Aux Music Adapter NFC-Enabled A2DP APTx Audio Stereo Receiver Wireless Music Dongle Handsfree Car Speaker for iPhone 6s 6Plus iPod iPad Samsung HTC Smartphone Bluetooth Laptop Tablet PC
Offered by EsynicDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars It's also a bit annoying to turn on - you have to press a ..., 20 July 2015
Works well, I'd give it 5 stars if it could power-on with the ignition. It's also a bit annoying to turn on - you have to press a pretty unresponsive button for about 5 seconds. Used with Samsung S3 and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.

Windows Forensic Analysis Toolkit: Advanced Analysis Techniques for Windows 7
Windows Forensic Analysis Toolkit: Advanced Analysis Techniques for Windows 7
by Harlan Carvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 30 Nov. 2012
If you're doing forensic analysis of Windows computers then you need this book. Virtually every page is packed with the sort of day-to-day techniques and tactics that you need for getting the job done. It's well-written, timely and doesn't make any false promises - where the behaviour or significance of an artefact is in dispute or uncertain, the author highlights this and gives pointers for further research. He also links topics in the book to other analysts in the community, so if something's of particular interest you can follow up. There's a strong emphasis on understanding the evidence you're recovering as well, rather than just relying on tools to do the work for you. I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

Zombie Writing!
Zombie Writing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Table of contents, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Zombie Writing! (Kindle Edition)
I've just bought this on Kindle (missed the free promo!) a few minutes ago so I can't comment on the book itself yet, but it really, really needs a table of contents urgently! I don't read books like this sequentially, so it's going to be hard to find the essays I want until it's fixed.

Crack-Up: A Psychological Thriller
Crack-Up: A Psychological Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want in a thriller, 23 Feb. 2011
I have a 50 minute rail commute to and from work, and my test of a good novel is whether it keeps my head down for the entire trip. Crack-Up kept me utterly oblivious of the world around me for a good few days.

I bought the book because of the interesting premise - a high-functioning paranoid schizophrenic who did close protection work for the US Secret Service and now runs a successful private security company - and also because I've been enjoying sampling self-published authors on the Kindle at a very low price.

It's gripping from the very beginning, and stays well-paced throughout. The characters are believable and sympathetic, especially the protagonist Argus Ward. I was interested to see how the psychotic episodes would be handled, as the book is written in the first person, and they were done very well, with humour and sensitivity. The parts where Ward's medication was just starting to wear off and the madness kick in were particularly poignant.

I wasn't 100% convinced by the reveal at the end, but funnily enough this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book as a whole.

A cracking read - I look forward to reading more of Eric Christopherson's work. I've read paperback thrillers backed by huge poster ad campaigns that weren't one tenth as polished or well-written as this.

Hater
Hater
by David Moody

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely unnerving, 16 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Hater (Paperback)
Hater is one of the few books that has genuinely creeped me out. The central character, Danny, is an underachieving modern everyman with a soul-destroying job, a family that he loves but who drive him crazy, a flat in a blandly-bad part of an unnamed everytown and a general sense that things could be better

This world starts to unravel as a spate of murderous, motiveless attacks on strangers sweeps the UK. The attacks come out of nowhere, from people who were showing no signs that anything was amiss, and the fear and uncertainty are brought out very well in the book - by the end, I was actually feeling anxious and for the next few days found myself looking at people with a slight element of mistrust. It's been a long time since a book got to me that much! The way that the author builds up the ridiculous stresses of modern life is done very well, particularly the pressure-cooker home life of Danny. The ending comes like a hammer blow.

I've only given this 4 stars because I'd like to save 5 stars for the follow-up, 'Dog Days'. This carries straight on from 'Hater', but by now we know what's going on, and our relationship with the characters from Hater has been turned on its head. The simplicity of the premise of the books is shocking and every effective.

I read both books one after the other, and recommend doing this. It's a pity that the Kindle edition costs more than the paperback though - yet another bizarre pricing decision from the world of books..

Slow Horses
Slow Horses
by Mick Herron

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and a cracking thriller., 11 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Slow Horses (Hardcover)
I bought Slow Horses after reading a very favourable review of the audiobook edition in the Guardian. The book starts with a terrorist chase through Kings Cross station and, although the author does the exciting shooty-chasey bits of a thriller very well, he's equally good at painting believable, interesting, complex characters and using them to people a wonderfully twisty world of deceit, masks and very human failure.

As the Guardian review said, this is one of the books that makes you glad to have discovered the author - especially as he seems to be just hitting his stride in terms of output. The dialogue is fantastic and, although at times it skates close to being too clever to be believable, it fits the characters well and some of the longer passages have the flow and sheer, impish wordsmith's joy of le Carré at his most eloquent.

I read this book in a day and a half, and wanted more when I'd finished - it'd be interesting to see the back-stories of some of the characters fleshed out in the future, especially Jackson Lamb.

Page: 1 | 2