ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

Profile for Mr. Steven W. Downey > Reviews

Content by Mr. Steven W. ...

Mr. Steven W. Downey (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Extremist
Extremist
Price: 24.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album yet, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Extremist (Audio CD)
This is beyond a doubt my favourite album of theirs, one reason is there is a better balance between melodic songs and hard metal which I wanted personally. Also being down to every track is damn good! Yes some grew on me but I've played it every day now for 2 weeks solid and love it all.
Anyone who likes metal or rock ballads will like this album.
I want to thank Demon Hunter for producing this work of art, there was undoubtedly a lot of work gone into this.
By the way this listing (the one with the all black cover) is the Deluxe Version which has 2 extra tracks which are both good, also though, and this is my only negative, there is a 7" vinyl with 2 acoustic tracks. I don't have a record player so have no way of hearing these 2 tracks! Neither does 99% of the population, I don't know why they put them on a record and not on the bonus DVD of studio footage.

House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
House of Fools - Series 1 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Vic Reeves
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious, 9 Feb 2014
This is a very welcome return of Vic & Bob to tv.
Every episode is hillarious and I've watched each at least twice. It's absolutely crazy and makes not a lot of real sense which is great if you're a fan of their earlier work or the mighty boosh or similar surreal comedies.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars This isn't Alan Partridge, 5 Jan 2014
Alan in this film doesn't look like Alan Partridge from any of the series which is disappointing and also distracting.
They've made Alan look modern, cool and younger, without his bad haircut and dress sense which was one of the reasons why the character was funny in the series, we like laughing at idiots (like Frank Spencer).

Alan being cool is not funny, big mistake. It would be the same mistake if they had made a Some Mother's Do Ave Em film in which Frank is cool and with-it.

I say it's distracting because throughout the film I kept thinking, that doesn't look like Alan Partridge it just looks like Steve Coogan trying to act like Alan.

That being said there are some very funny moments, although sparse.
I think I laughed out loud about 3 times, whereas in all his series I laughed a lot more!

Resident Evil: Retribution (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Resident Evil: Retribution (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So good had to watch it twice, 5 Aug 2013
I enjoyed this film so much that I had to watch it again 2 days later. There's not many films I can say that about!

It's basically a big adrenalin rush of action from start to finish, with gorgeously shot sequences including a dramatic slowed down backwards start which is very original.

I think the acting and the plot are good as well.
This is a film for both women and men to enjoy. Women can see powerful women kicking butt, and men can enjoy them fighting in their skin tight costumes!

The Dark Knight Rises (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
The Dark Knight Rises (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Miserable and boring, 22 Dec 2012
CONTAINS SPOILERS: This film is miserable almost the whole way through, from the "fun" scenes of Batman having his back broken and spending months in a prison cell, to Bane, whilst previously in the same cells, having his face smashed in so badly he needs to wear a mask to stop the constant pain.
Of course kids younger than 12 are going to watch this, but should they? Most people I know thought the second of the trilogy The Dark Knight should definitely have been a 15, but even though this isn't as dark, also maybe?
There is hardly any Batman in this film which is very surprising and disappointing, after all he's supposed to be the main character! Most of the film he's either crippled and given up being Batman or spending too long in a pit/cell.
Also it is far too long. So much tedious talking could have been cut, to lengthen some action scenes which were short.
I really think Tim Burton's 1989 Batman was the ultimate film of the franchise, because Jack Nicholson's Joker was dark but not too dark, and it was actually fun. That's a word Chris Nolan seems to have forgotten. The last good film he made was Inception which was truly amazing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2012 11:02 AM GMT

The Expendables 2 [DVD]
The Expendables 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Price: 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Expendables 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I was very disappointed by this after seeing the first film. If you thought the plot was thin with the first, well it's even thinner on this one. I know these kind of films aren't supposed to tax our brains but I just found it boring and all been done before.

SPOILERS: There were some things that just didn't make sense, Bruce Willis appears as not a very nice character who threatens Sly if he doesn't complete a mission, then suddenly later he appears as a good guy fighting with Sly and the others.
Jet Lee is good in the opening sequence doing martial arts (one of the only good scenes) but after taking the chinese man home is never seen again. Strange as I thought he was one of the main team.

The ending has to be one the most stupid inane fights. It's been done before where the bad guy (Jean Claude) says to the good guy (Sly) that he doesn't want to fight with guns (in this case he's run out of bullets) but have a real fight with fists, so the good guy drops all his guns and has a brutal fist fight where he nearly dies, but of course doesn't and the bad guy dies instead.
I had my head in my hands during this fight, as no-way would anybody, given the chance to shoot the bad guy dead instantly, would drop his guns and choose to fist fight risking his life!

Crush (PSP)
Crush (PSP)
Offered by Game Dealz
Price: 25.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Best game on the PSP, 1 July 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crush (PSP) (Video Game)
A couple of years ago I sold my PSP because I had an iPhone for games and thought I didn't need it now, but honestly I really miss playing this game!
It's the only one I do miss as there's something about it which is really addictive. It's also very unique and clever the way you can switch from 2D to 3D to navigate the levels.
So I'm going to buy a cheap PSP again just so I can play this!

The Men Who Stare At Goats [DVD] [2009]
The Men Who Stare At Goats [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, not funny, 18 May 2010
This was hyped as a comedy in the trailer but all the (very short) funny bits were actually shown in the trailer!

I could not believe how dull and boring this film was, it's just about George and Ewan travelling together and George recapping about his experiences in some psychic army with flashbacks.

A lot of this is just dull waffle, and hardly anything psychic goes on.

The Informant! [DVD] [2010]
The Informant! [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Price: 4.61

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst films I've ever seen, 18 May 2010
This review is from: The Informant! [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This film is absolutely appaling on every level.
It is not funny, despite how the trailers make it look (I thought it was going to be a comedy). I raised only a half smile for about half a second during the whole film.

It is just dull 'drama' (even though nothing dramatic actually happens in it), about price fixing between various companies and Matt Damon is trying to inform agents about it.
Most of this informing is long boring conversations about business and price fixing that completeely went over my head. I felt very confused through this.

Even the acting is poor, Matt just appears flat and expression-less.

This just reminds me of a boring television drama you might see on the tv in the afternoon, no way did this deserve to be in the cinema.

I actually feel quite angry at the film makers for wasting my precious time and my rental money!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 8:56 AM BST

Torchwood: Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2006] [DVD]
Torchwood: Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Barrowman
Price: 15.65

4.0 out of 5 stars 15 for a reason, 6 Feb 2010
This is quite an exciting series, the stories are interesting and the acting is superb with each member giving stellar, quite intense, performances.

But this is a very adult series with some strong violence, gore and strong sex references. I certainly wouldn't let anyone under the age of 15 watch it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4