ARRAY(0xa82950d8)

Profile for Sarah Hall > Reviews

Content by Sarah Hall

Sarah Hall

Brand Vandals: Reputation Wreckers and How to Build Better Defences: Corporate Reputation Risk and Response
by Stephen Waddington and Steve Earl
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marketing remit? This is a must read., 4 Nov 2013
If you want a book that will instil fear and make you think hard about the use of social media, #Brand Vandals: Reputation Wreckers and Building Better Defences by Steve Earl and Stephen Waddington is it.

The good news is that downing tools and hiding under your pillow is not the answer - as well as showing exactly how badly things can go wrong, authors Earl and Waddington discuss best practice and highlight how crises can in fact be made to work to an organisation's advantage. The call to action is roll up your sleeves, there is work to be done if you want to use social media well. They even give you a 90 day battle plan for getting in order.

#Brand Vandals is a must read for PRs, MDs, FDs and anyone with any kind of marketing remit. The premise of the book may be that it's a war between communicators and their audiences however the underlying message is actually more positive than that. Understanding social media engagement means accepting that organisations will have occasional battles on their hands, but that it doesn't always have to end in reputational damage. You could almost say that reading this is a way to give peace a chance.

Tubespiration: How to Get Your Next Brilliant Idea by Using the London Underground as a Creativity Tool
by Andy Green
Price: 8.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on track for would-be creative thinkers, 23 April 2013
I'm a working Mum who runs her own business so the idea of taking 'time out' makes me belly laugh. Put it this way, Andy Green's book is only the second 'work' title I've managed to get through since my first born came along almost three years ago so I'm glad to report it really was a pleasure to read.

Brilliantly thought through, the premise of the book shows exactly how creative Andy is himself and therefore totally underlines his fantastic credentials in this area. Full of wisdom and common sense (and some tips we have heard before but let's face it, we need reminding of!), I'll certainly be employing many of his tactics to get my business and I to where we need to be.

I'll not go into detail here but if you're a boss. Andy's `Harry Beck' test is most certainly worth a look (hangs head in shame).

Ultimately Andy's handbag-sized book is worth a read if you want to grow and become stronger by learning how to respond flexibly to and harness all the unexpected events that life throw at us day by day. It's bite size, easy to read and a great reminder of taking time out as `incubation time' during your commute, or if you're me, when you're out for a run or in the bath! What's more, one of the side effects is that you'll know more about the London Underground than you ever thought possible.