ARRAY(0xa9bdb7d4)

Here on Earth: A New Beginning
Here on Earth: A New Beginning
by Timothy Flannery

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read, 3 April 2011
This is easily the most important book I've read in the last decade. There are really profound insights and paradigm-shifting approaches to the material here which show that Tim Flannery is attempting to change not just our approach to tackling climate change, but our view of ourselves as a species as a whole and relationship with the Earth. I found it refreshing that he challenges Dawkins' 'selfish gene' theory being used as a 'natural' justification for capitalism's greater excesses and 'selfish' behaviour in a very complex environment of interdependency. At times humbling, Tim Flannery questions the still-dominant presumption that we are the rightful masters presiding over the life and resources of the planet to do with as we wish. Rather, Flannery ellucidates in detail from a number of disciplines how we are a part of overall global 'superorganism' co-evolving with other species in an environment which bears the wounds of our exploitation and carelessness. He explains how these wounds are being ignored and how great the impact of this will be in the decades and centuries to come. Although I have rated this highly - the author having successfully won over both my heart and mind - I would have liked to have read more about what practical action I can take to make a difference...but perhaps that's either material for another book or can be found elsewhere.

The Probationer's Handbook
The Probationer's Handbook
by George T. Mortimer
Price: 8.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but could have more info, 13 Sep 2010
Author has some very good tips and hints which you won't find anywhere else - very useful for this alone. Would be good if it also contained some of the reference material to save you going elsehere but apart from this no complaints.

Scripts People Live: Transactional Analysis of Life Scripts
Scripts People Live: Transactional Analysis of Life Scripts
by Claude Steiner
Price: 9.92

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview of TA and script theory, 22 Dec 2009
Well written but not inscrutably so, this sets out the framework for TA as developed from Eric Berne, Steiner and others since. I really liked that this book focuses on life scripts and provides a good basis for further reading of TA. Though it makes for the perfect introduction, I would still regard Berne's 'What Do You Do After You Say Hello?' as the definitive benchmark of TA literature, although slightly less accessible its breadth and scope is mind-blowing.

Rome: Music From The Hbo Series
Rome: Music From The Hbo Series

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great..., 27 Sep 2009
Good on TV show but a bit tedious detached as a soundtrack - apart from the mighty opening theme which has a life of its own.